octavious
octavious HalfDork
3/13/15 12:37 p.m.

There is a lady I work with who is shopping for a new to her but used car. She is super awesome, as in my workplace would be a total crap hole if she wasn't around. In addition, she helps watch out for my family when I have to travel for work, takes them food, etc. So I really want to be able to return the favor anyway I can.

Being that am the office car/motorcycle/gas engine nut, as I'm sure most of you know, anytime someone is thinking of purchasing a car they ask for my help. She is currently looking at a 2011 Infiniti Ex35 at a used car dealer. I think it is CarMax but I'm not sure. She has the VIN and she has repeatedly asked the dealer to provide a copy of the CarFax, which the dealer has not done. I think this would be a car she would buy but since the dealer is being hinkey on providing the CarFax she is getting suspicious that she might not be getting told everything about the car.

So my question is, does that seem suspicious to anyone else?

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
3/13/15 12:40 p.m.

If they offer it with their other inventory but not this one, it's a bit suspicious, if she really wanted it, she has the VIN she can have it run herself on her dime. If there's something on there, it could help her decision or negotiation of price, either way I wouldn't take the report to be the final word though, definitely look over the car thoroughly.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
3/13/15 12:42 p.m.

having recently been to a few places shopping used cars, all the places I went to either had it in hand for me to review, or available on their website before I even stepped foot out of the house.

depending on how complete or incomplete the info in the report is, it could be a dealbreaker or completely meaningless as we know.

I wouldnt expect CarMax to be the type of place to withold a carfax report. With salespeople not on commission and a buy it at this price or GFY structure.

old_
old_ Reader
3/13/15 12:42 p.m.

In my experience if a car has a clean report the dealer is eager to show it off. The dealer will usually point to the clean report during negotiations to justify their price. Not wanting to show the report sends up a red flag. Clean reports don't really mean anything but a bad report is obviously bad.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/13/15 12:55 p.m.

Some dealers don't provide them for free because it costs them a fair bit of coin for the monthly service; that doesn't worry me by itself. As a previous person mentioned, the question is - is it dealer policy or THIS specific car that is the deciding fact in withholding?

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
3/13/15 2:56 p.m.

Carmax normally supplies these, so I'd be Leary.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
3/13/15 3:23 p.m.

I'd check with your state police/highway patrol/local police department. I know at least in PA, you can run a report for free on a vehicle if you have the vin number.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/13/15 9:26 p.m.
Duke wrote: Some dealers don't provide them for free because it costs them a fair bit of coin for the monthly service; that doesn't worry me by itself. As a previous person mentioned, the question is - is it dealer policy or THIS specific car that is the deciding fact in withholding?

QFT. the small lot i got the saab on does not provide them because he can't run enough in a month to justify the dealer fee for them, but he said if i was serious and not just a tire kicker he'd pay the one time fee for the carfax, which worked for me.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4fRwNunzAQrNM7HfH6wLsKas1vR7Iw22yaA8Ltwl9Fbv51LEhjsy5wWLjfjnl411