1 2 3
shelbyz
shelbyz Reader
1/6/15 1:48 p.m.

Another one for me is the Evo VIII/IX.

I've been a DSM owner since Mitsubishi finally brought the Evo to the States, so it was always in my blood to drool over them. I still think they're great looking and neat cars, and love seeing them tear up the 1/4 mile at the DSM Shootout every August. However, I mostly just can't stand them anymore.

After getting my first big boy job, I decided it was time to get one. Hunted through car trader sites and found it near impossible to get one close by for a decent price that wasn't already modded in some way. Then, I supplied a VIN to my insurance agent for a quote... When I got the number, I went out and bought a WRX Wagon.

The other killer for me is the common Evo owner, or atleast just about all of the ones I know... Most of their experiences are chronicled on social media, to an audience of rapid fanboi's. Their Evos are more frequent than not, sitting idle waiting for the next clutch/t-case/trans/motor. Usually they can't even do the work themselves, but post all sorts of pictures of teardown and progress. All the while, they'll furiously debate anyone that dares challenge the "superiority" of the Evo. When the car is finally roadworthy, it's announced with more fanfare and enthusiasm than most pregnancy or engagement announcements. That being said, shared evidence of some sort of mechanical failure will more than likely follow, usually within weeks. Most of them are also usually broke, live with Mom and Dad, owe other car people rent/money/parts/service, or a combination of the three.

I only know one guy that doesn't fit that mold. His Evo(s) is usually the only one I ever see do anything impressive. He's also usually the one working on the other more common owners cars...

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
1/6/15 1:58 p.m.
Ditchdigger wrote: In reply to Hungary Bill: Hate to break it to you but they are pretty bad. I deal with them regularly. We have two in process right now. A monster 900lb lump up front, awful brakes, absolutely miserable ergonomics, getting in an out is painful. Compared to cars of the era I am sure they hold up ok but the first drive I had in one was when I was driving a VW golf daily and the Jag felt like a 70's truck in comparison. By the time I was daily driving the Falcon and got a healthy dose of era perspective, other cars that I was completely unimpressed with at first like a 1960 Alfa Guilia sprint started to make a lot more sense. The E-types never did. They are not fast or good handling cars.

I've driven them (the '67 4.2 triple carb convertibles)on fun Connecticut backroads and I'm going to have to respectifully disagree. I'm 5'10" and fit perfectly and still find it easy to get in and out of. I loved the steering feel through the big wood wheel, and the torque out of the corners with the sound it makes is intoxicating. A little raw, like all cars of the era are, but that's part of the charm. And not fast? They were honest 150 mph cars when new. That's plenty fast.

My father in law had 3 of them, and was supposed to will his last one to my wife when he passed, but sold it before that happened. A '67 4.2 Series 1 is the first car I'd buy with a lottery win now...

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
1/6/15 3:46 p.m.
Chris_V wrote:
Ditchdigger wrote: In reply to Hungary Bill: Hate to break it to you but they are pretty bad. I deal with them regularly. We have two in process right now. A monster 900lb lump up front, awful brakes, absolutely miserable ergonomics, getting in an out is painful. Compared to cars of the era I am sure they hold up ok but the first drive I had in one was when I was driving a VW golf daily and the Jag felt like a 70's truck in comparison. By the time I was daily driving the Falcon and got a healthy dose of era perspective, other cars that I was completely unimpressed with at first like a 1960 Alfa Guilia sprint started to make a lot more sense. The E-types never did. They are not fast or good handling cars.
I've driven them (the '67 4.2 triple carb convertibles)on fun Connecticut backroads and I'm going to have to respectifully disagree. I'm 5'10" and fit perfectly and still find it easy to get in and out of. I loved the steering feel through the big wood wheel, and the torque out of the corners with the sound it makes is intoxicating. A little raw, like all cars of the era are, but that's part of the charm. And not fast? They were honest 150 mph cars when new. That's plenty fast. My father in law had 3 of them, and was supposed to will his last one to my wife when he passed, but sold it before that happened. A '67 4.2 Series 1 is the first car I'd buy with a lottery win now...

I've got a '61 E-Type that I've owned for about 10 years. It was built before they put dimples in the floor and a cut-out behind the driver, but I'm 5'8" and I fit fine. The early car also has some very uncomfortable seats that were quickly improved in the next couple of model years. I find just adding a small pillow to the lumbar area helps enormously.

It doesn't handle like my MGs, but it wasn't supposed to. Even the workshop manual calls it a Grand Touring Model. Even so, I've tossed it around corners a bit and it is very predictable and stable.

You do have to crawl over a wide sill to get in and out, but generally the contortions are fewer than they are for my MGA. Besides, if that's what you're most concerned about, then you'd be driving an Oldsmobile.

The earlier cars have also been criticized for their brakes. I think that is in the context of the brakes of a 150 mph car. Considering it is one of the first production cars with four wheel disc brakes, I think that's something that has to be viewed in context of the time. I've never felt the car was underbraked when driving it, but I've never driven it over the Alps at full chat.

I don't know how anyone could think it is underpowered. Even now, when your standard V6 minivan has as much horsepower, the torque of that straight six is very impressive. It almost doesn't matter what gear you're in, it'll pull like a train! Now, the heavy V12 with the all the emissions crap and the stranglebergs is another matter...

All that aside, just say in your best Jeremy Clarkson: "Look at it. Just look at it." And all doubts about ownership will fade away.

. .

Back OT-- I did own a '88 XJS that was a 10 year old car when I bought it. That was a love/hate relationship. An amazing car that loved to go very fast. I spent so much time and effort retro-fitting the weak points and keeping it going I wouldn't do it again.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/6/15 4:18 p.m.

The "Pacer X"

This:

Don't Know why and I still kind of sort of would rock one but then the other part of my brain kicks in and kills the idea.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/6/15 4:28 p.m.

When I was a blatant Ford fanboi, I thought the Terminator Cobra was better than anything else on the road. Now I see it's just a Mustang with a great engine, compromised rear suspension and a terrible interior.

(But I still secretly kinda want one )

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
1/6/15 4:44 p.m.

For some reason, very very briefly, I wanted a Hyundai Scoupe Turbo. No idea why.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
1/6/15 4:46 p.m.

The Mercury Cougar. Just like this.

It was my first car. It was alright at the time. Then I got rid of it and had nostalgic pangs. I wanted to get another one with the V8 (mine was the V6, weak). Then add V8 goodies. At which point I realized that platform sucks, has a huge ass, and makes a terrible performance car.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Reader
1/6/15 4:55 p.m.

Shortly after the Lincoln LS was introduced I saw this pic in a Car and Driver and thought it was the best looking thing ever.

I saw the pic again the other day and realized how ugly the body kit is. I still think the Lincoln LS is a good looking car though.

I was a huge Ford/Lincoln/Mercury fanboy as a youngster. I still am in a small way.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/6/15 5:00 p.m.

Diesel Mercedes.

I know that run forever and all but nothing makes up for the fact they shoved a tractor motor in a car.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
1/6/15 7:19 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic: The "tractor" motor is the reason to buy a 90s Mercedes.

carbon
carbon Dork
1/6/15 8:40 p.m.

Bmws, and vag products.

fiesta54
fiesta54 Reader
1/6/15 8:45 p.m.

At some point every car I have ever worked on

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Sx5TGzmdsJdnT0SmKSeVi68YIHsLaOwcoqJEpBlRkycqobIPlbkro9AhzzeFKC8g