1 2
Travis_K
Travis_K UberDork
12/13/14 9:30 a.m.

I think a few of these belong in the other thread lol. 911 for sure, and an e46 BMW or Audi are kinda scary too.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
12/13/14 9:47 a.m.

So many but in recent years. EGT, ZX2SR and now my Fiesta SE.

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
12/13/14 10:09 a.m.

Mazda GD Body/1st Gen Probe GT.... Very cheap because no one really knows the potential, very comfy interiors (Especially the MX-6's Recaros). 300whp is relatively easy to hit. My '89 Probe GT had slightly higher compression pistons that take the factory HP/Trq from 146/190 to 174/230 at 7-8psi (people say this is WHP as these cars are considerably faster than the factory #'s would lead one to believe). Maintenance parts are very cheap, and the H-series trans is the strongest available trans for a FWD until the Mazdaspeed line came out. My car averages 29-30mpg on the interstate here in WV, 26 around town.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH New Reader
12/13/14 3:36 p.m.

My 2002 4Runner Sport was an awesome truck. Easy to work on, cheap parts, nothing ever broke and it was the perfect tailgating/beach/fishing/sleeping at Rolex 24-mobile. The back power window is awesome, I will have another one at some point.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork
12/13/14 4:18 p.m.

1988 Ford TurboCoupe. I got it as a wedding gift at 200K miles and flogged it for three years and sold it at 250K miles for $1200. That car was both a beast and a tank. Fun to flog down a back road and comfy to ease down the interstate getting 30 mpg.

1997 explorer sport. Bought at 50K and sold at 130k and the only thing I did to it in that entire time was replace the serpentine belt. Didn't rotate the tires, replace a brake pad or change a fluid besides the oil. The SOHC V-6 with 5speed auto was decently snorty and it honestly wasn't a bad truck to spend time in. Sold it to my brother who finally nuked the tranny at 199k miles.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
12/13/14 4:40 p.m.

The best way to win this game is to buy a new or newish Mustang V8 or Camaro and resist the urge to do a single thing to it other than keep it immaculate. It will reach a point at about year 15 where it is a unique slice of history that everyone will like even if they were not fans when the car was new.

Neighbor has a 1990 Mustang convertible (similar to pic) that he has maintained as new. As much as I was never a fan when the cars were current, I do admire his time capsule.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
12/14/14 10:04 a.m.

I dunno man, most Mustangs and Camaros before the mid-late 2000s either seemed junky or just weird to drive to me. I agree that they will be universally liked once they are old enough that all the things that are bad about them are viewed as 'period' instead of 'rather crappy compared to many other cars of that time', i.e. perspective is gradually lost. Until then they are still kinda junky and weird to drive.

Out of what i've owned, i heartily second the XJ Cherokee, Volvo 240, and DC2 Integra. They are masterful (and now iconic) designs. In a funny way, the XJ was the only one that was allowed to die with its dignity fully intact. Both the other ones either got less cool as production went on, or morphed into something that just didnt share the specialness of its predecessor. Well, unless you count the Liberty... damn.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/14/14 10:21 a.m.
Mr_Clutch42 wrote: Another car people on this thread have reported as good reliability wise is a regular E46.

I would never own a regular E46. The hassle+expense to reward ratio is still too high.

I will admit to noting that E46 M3s are coming down in price quite pleasantly, and they seem to suffer a hell of a lot less of boy racer-isms than E36s. The E36 M3s that I am seeing that are not convertibles are modified. Never buy a modified car...

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/14/14 10:30 a.m.

any 84+ corvette.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
12/14/14 10:39 a.m.

My GMT900 Silverado crew cab truck. It's as soulless an appliance as any vehicle can be, but dag nabbit, it just works. Requires about zero maintenance, the maintenance that it does require is insanely simple, parts are available literally anywhere. I want to find a reason to get rid of it, but I can't.
I guess this goes against the "happiness and laughter" part of the title, but the stupid truck is just very very good and being a truck appliance.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
12/14/14 11:39 a.m.

My Skyline has been great so far. The GTR however would probably be a fit for the other thread. I don't want to do with 80s/early 90s complicated electronic AWD systems and ITBs with twin turbos.

carbon
carbon Dork
12/14/14 12:11 p.m.

My IS300 (sport 5mt/lsd) has been unbelievable, has shrugged off 95k (got it with 90k now has 185ish) of abuse and track work and continues to serve as a reliable daily driver.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
12/14/14 11:31 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: The best way to win this game is to buy a new or newish Mustang V8 or Camaro and resist the urge to do a single thing to it other than keep it immaculate. It will reach a point at about year 15 where it is a unique slice of history that everyone will like even if they were not fans when the car was new. Neighbor has a 1990 Mustang convertible (similar to pic) that he has maintained as new. As much as I was never a fan when the cars were current, I do admire his time capsule.

My family had that same car, except for the wheels, back in the late '90's! 5.0 LX in green with a white top. Great memories on evening drives with the top down.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
12/15/14 6:52 a.m.
Knurled wrote:
Mr_Clutch42 wrote: Another car people on this thread have reported as good reliability wise is a regular E46.
I would never own a regular E46. The hassle+expense to reward ratio is still too high.

What? We got 250k out of a '02 325i Sport with only rear wheel bearings, an alternator and a water pump needed.

Fun car to drive, good fuel mileage and dead simple/solid.

OSULemon
OSULemon Reader
12/15/14 7:01 a.m.

What's the but part?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
12/15/14 5:15 p.m.

1ZZ Prizolla, perfect banger DD. It's an appliance, but an entertaining appliance. One of the last Toyotas with a cable throttle, and an engine fit for a Lotus. I more or less just put a fresh 4.whatever qts of M1 0w40 in it every 7500 miles and spin on a wix filter for a 2ZZ, change the other fluids when I feel like it, and drive it like a bat out of hell. Eats highway miles in an acceptable manner, good overdrive gear. Shockingly neutral when heavyhandedly thrown into a corner, less so on dirt. Only real mod is a gas pedal widener I made, 195/60-14 General Altimax HPs, and 175/70-14 Altimax Artics on some Corolla alloys.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/15/14 5:33 p.m.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
12/15/14 5:51 p.m.
patgizz wrote: any 84+ corvette.

I'd agree if you had said 97+

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
12/15/14 6:16 p.m.

In reply to Knurled: How about a supercharged E46?

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
12/15/14 6:44 p.m.

If you live south of the Mason-Dixon line, a CRX.

PubBurgers
PubBurgers SuperDork
12/15/14 6:54 p.m.
Mike wrote:

Hell yes. I actually saw one driving around the other day.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LzbLBYaTfI1zrkbD3nNWUUxZdAskmPTFtpRRLPmlmZwVf9miETPxGLYaJv2t3Sdl