1 2 3
Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/5/16 7:13 p.m.

Actually, Hurricane Matthew is a serious threat to much of the East Coast of the US. The Fox affiliate in Tampa has it reaching the coastline near Daytona as a Category 4 on Friday afternoon, October 6. We haven't experienced a hurricane like this in a long time. Hopefully this storm will veer east a little more, but if it proceeds as forecast, it could be devastating. Take action now!

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/213945.shtml?gm_track#contents

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
10/5/16 7:22 p.m.

Doesn't look good for our little HQ tonight.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/5/16 8:18 p.m.

One ray of sunshine, at least it didn't hit during the Challenge weekend. Stay safe everyone!

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/5/16 8:40 p.m.

Yeah. Friday is going to get pretty gnarly here. Luckily it's Florida and all our houses are built like bunkers, and there's dense pine forest everywhere that acts as an excellent natural wind break. Actual surface winds tend to be lower than advertised, unless you just happen to be in a large open area like an airport tarmac or a big retail parking lot.

Still, E36 M3 is going to get pretty real here on Friday. We're almost certain to lose power for at least a little while as the power companies usually pull the plug when the wind gets above a certain level anyway so wires don't start touching. We had a nice little tropical storm about a month ago which shook loose a lot of the dead vegetation from the trees, so that's some small comfort.

Basically by this time Saturday, there will be a lot fewer carports between Jacksonville and Ft. Lauderdale. Good time to go into the extruded aluminum biz.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/5/16 8:42 p.m.

Well, I feel kinda silly having started this thread, now that I see another multi-page thread on Matthew. But, hey, you can't spread the word too much! I can't imagine what Haiti and Cuba are going through, and it looks like the Bahamas are next. Even Florida's West Coast is forecast to see Tropical Storm force winds. Like they always say, hope for the best, but prepare for the worst!

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/5/16 8:42 p.m.

Thinking about you guys and gals. Watching TWC, it sounds like Armageddon. Stay safe!

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/5/16 8:45 p.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard:

I have a place you could setup a temporary HQ if E36 M3 starts blowing away, but it's not exactly close to FL...

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/5/16 8:58 p.m.

Yeah, we're all watching it closely. My house is frame (with giant windows) but we're pretty well shielded by the tree canopy and our tree guy was here a little while ago. Still, we did what we could--cleaned the gutters, picked up everything and are bagging important stuff inside the house in case stuff hits the fan. If need be, we can bug out to Tampa.

It's all rather nerve-wracking.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/5/16 9:37 p.m.

Has Jim Cantori been spotted in FL yet? That's when the E36 M3 will get real

n8
n8 New Reader
10/5/16 9:44 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: Has Jim Cantori been spotted in FL yet? That's when the E36 M3 will get real

I've heard rumor that he's somewhere between Melbourne and Cocoa Beach as of tonight. That's not a good sign.

I live on the east side of Orlando and work in Titusville. We're hoping for the best.

06HHR
06HHR HalfDork
10/5/16 9:57 p.m.

Cantore was in my neck of the woods right before labor day. This one makes Hermine look like a gentle summer breeze. Us panhandle folks are praying for you, stay safe.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
10/5/16 10:37 p.m.

Moved S2k and grill into garage. Have every tupperware container filled with water, have about 15 gallons of 93 left over from Chumpcar at Sebring, a crap load of water, beer, jack, MREs, and spam. Puppy has dug enough holes around the perimeter of the house to give us a moat if flooding occurs.

Luckily theres a lot of dense forest surrounding my neighborhood and I have two story homes surrounding my one story. If E36 M3 happens, it happens, that's what insurance is for right? Family safety is first, followed by everything else. Luckily work is close, we have a huge diesel backup generator, satellite backup inter webs, and we converted one of the conference rooms into a children's playroom for those of us that have kids and if we lose power.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/5/16 10:47 p.m.

Yeah, we're about as ready as can be. Work has already called me out til Sunday. Picked up a small bbq and some charcoal. Gonna load the deep freeze and crank it to maximum cold tomorrow. If we lose power, bbq at my place. If we don't lose power.....eh. I'll play xbox. I'm shielded on all sides and being an apt, we only have north facing windows. I'm on first floor but we're high ground and there's a sub apt below me. If we flood.....I got bigger problems. Both cars are parked as high as they can be. Corolla...I love that car but it was 400$. I can get another. Nissan is well insured. My two mazdas are in illinois and Indiana respectively....no danger there. Im more concerned for everyone else here.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/5/16 11:14 p.m.

We're out by clearwater. Was booked through Saturday, cut friday night off to roll out early on 75 north Friday morning. If that looks like a stupid idea i'll stay here and go north behind the storm.

The only thing ive been near like this was when Sandy hit us in northern ohio and was still technically at tropical storm strength.

kb58
kb58 Dork
10/5/16 11:38 p.m.

Way out here in SoCal we've been having an earthquake swarm right at the southern end of the San Andreas fault, so there's no making light of your situation!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
10/6/16 4:38 a.m.

In reply to patgizz:

You might think of rolling out ahead of the storm.
You'll have to come home via I-75. It will be a slow drive with roads clogged with evacuees. All hotels along the route will be full.

Keep the truck full of fuel.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
10/6/16 6:51 a.m.

Park GRM vans in front of HQ windows , This storm is going to one for the record books . Put Tommys mercedez in front garage door

GTXVette
GTXVette Reader
10/6/16 7:08 a.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621: Patgizz Yea, atl is only a long 9-10 hr drive just go north of atl about 40 miles before stopping.call me.weather here will be Fine.

patgizz
10/6/16 7:17 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: In reply to patgizz: You might think of rolling out ahead of the storm. You'll have to come home via I-75. It will be a slow drive with roads clogged with evacuees. All hotels along the route will be full. Keep the truck full of fuel.

It's full. Planning to hug the gulf coast up 19 and see what 75 is like via Waze and if it's worth trying to pick it up in valdosta. Otherwise will just do back roads until I get far enough north.

patgizz
10/6/16 7:18 a.m.
GTXVette wrote: In reply to JohnRW1621: Patgizz Yea, atl is only a long 9-10 hr drive just go north of atl about 40 miles before stopping.call me.weather here will be Fine.

Will be shooting to stay by your place Friday night

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
10/6/16 7:34 a.m.
Karl La Follette wrote: Park GRM vans in front of HQ windows , This storm is going to one for the record books . Put Tommys mercedez in front garage door

Hah! I must say, I think the GRM Florida staff missed an opportunity for a great story here; a GRM swamp buggy parking lot two-day thrash build. They wouldn't have needed to bug out north at all!!!

GTXVette
GTXVette Reader
10/6/16 7:38 a.m.

How many in your party? the Carman Faimly Hog Roast Is this W.E. Adult bevereges and such ,music camping but the pig isn't ready till Sat.Nite. so look to stay at Cartersville,I-75 Hwy 20 Area if poss. I can At least show you this pile of junk I Have. My House is east of C'ville across hwy 20 off of 575 in a town called Ball Ground. Google 30107zip

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
10/6/16 10:37 a.m.

I have a mobile home here in Homosassa empty powers on you can leech internet available bring beer /// PETS welcome /// take 40 over till you hit water

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
10/6/16 10:55 a.m.

I narrowly escaped this fate while in Puerto Rico last week. Only got some storms. Stock up on cheetos.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/6/16 11:04 a.m.

In reply to Trackmouse:

Listening to my MIL, it wasn't that narrow of a miss. She got a lot of rain, but not much else.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bbVZne6FJjidjZplg5wHBLRMhtTgsOLtfmwx6BWLWuIH9XYGQ8CiWk5c9x6et1hd