1 2 3
sachilles
sachilles HalfDork
5/19/10 1:34 p.m.

didn't even see that

Still the point is valid, might be wise to find something suited for the task, that someone is unloading so they can move up the food chain. It's not always cost effective to do the build up yourself sometimes. However, if you enjoy turning a wrench more than turning the wheel it really doesn't matter.

NGTD
NGTD HalfDork
5/19/10 1:39 p.m.

You used to see a lot of Neon's running stage rallies, not many Celica's. If that is your ultimate goal, then you should consider it.

I am working on a Volvo 240 for rally-X. I doubt that I will ever have the funds to jump to full stage rally and I will probably beat the Volvo to death long before I do.

RWD for the win! They are often slower than FWD but more fun.

BTW becareful trying to use 15" Rally Tires from the Subaru guys. Lower powered cars like Neons or Celicas often don't have the Hp to run those tires sizes, unless you are going to swap final drives. Expensive in a FWD, cheap in RWD.

moxnix
moxnix Reader
5/19/10 2:31 p.m.

I agree the RWD is more fun. I did my first event early this year in a SF saturn and got a M2 RX-7 for a very grassroots price soon after that for Rally-X.

So what changes are good to make to a RallyX car? Skid plate? Mudflaps? LSD? Alignment? Power? Newer tires? I currently run an 1988 RX-7 in M2 class (Front is gutted). It already had Falken Azenis rally tires when I got it. It is not a street car.

Underside of car after last event.

NGTD
NGTD HalfDork
5/19/10 8:53 p.m.
moxnix wrote: I agree the RWD is more fun. I did my first event early this year in a SF saturn and got a M2 RX-7 for a very grassroots price soon after that for Rally-X. So what changes are good to make to a RallyX car? Skid plate? Mudflaps? LSD? Alignment? Power? Newer tires? I currently run an 1988 RX-7 in M2 class (Front is gutted). It already had Falken Azenis rally tires when I got it. It is not a street car. Underside of car after last event.

Skid plate, suspension and tires, but if you already have rally tires you are in good shape there. LSD would be good too.

moxnix
moxnix Reader
5/19/10 9:55 p.m.
NGTD wrote: Skid plate, suspension and tires, but if you already have rally tires you are in good shape there. LSD would be good too.

What type of suspension? Higher rates? lower rates? more travel? Longer springs? Do rally tires heat cycle out like R comps do?

NGTD
NGTD HalfDork
5/19/10 10:13 p.m.
moxnix wrote:
NGTD wrote: Skid plate, suspension and tires, but if you already have rally tires you are in good shape there. LSD would be good too.
What type of suspension? Higher rates? lower rates? more travel? Longer springs? Do rally tires heat cycle out like R comps do?

Longer, lower rate springs with more travel, shocks to match. I am not sure if tires heat cycle.

Vigo
Vigo Reader
5/20/10 11:05 p.m.

Too long, didnt read...

My vote is Neon for the simple fact that it WILL be cheaper and easier to find junkyard replacements for everything.

As mentioned, 2g springs/struts is instant junkyard lift for very cheap.

A 3.92 tranny on a stockish sohc is a quick little bastard at low speeds (not so much once you pass 75 or so, though..). I had one and loved it.

Here's a silly race against a very modded 2-stroke scooter in the neon.

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k129/burnt_toast96/Elite/?action=view&current=MOV02934.flv

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
5/21/10 12:15 a.m.

If you bore them out just right, Celica wheels will fit on a Neon, then nobody can tell the diff...

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
5/21/10 6:38 a.m.
NYG95GA wrote: If you bore them out just right, Celica wheels will fit on a Neon, then nobody can tell the diff...

For some reason, i thought that Neons were 4 lug?

HappyJack
HappyJack New Reader
5/21/10 6:55 a.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote:
NYG95GA wrote: If you bore them out just right, Celica wheels will fit on a Neon, then nobody can tell the diff...
For some reason, i thought that Neons were 4 lug?

Only the early 95s were 4 bolt. Late 95s and up switched to 5 bolt.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jpu9eAoJ8vDHZw2ds9wbebOfmVPsIDaVhWIczyy2QsoQ9De2QCEQaypEQFVO30zP