1 2
GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/27/13 12:39 p.m.

Money cannot buy you style. I have seen this cruising around San Francisco. Because of the chrome wrap it was hard to tell what it was, all of the beautiful lines get washed out by shimmer and blinding sun. I thought it was a Tesla or Fisker until I heard the rumble. Strange choice.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/13 12:54 p.m.

How does sun glare off the hood affect the driver I wonder?

lastsnare
lastsnare Reader
11/27/13 12:59 p.m.

I have wondered myself if it's in any way illegal (by some stretch of some law) to drive around in a chrome car, with possibly blinding reflections in some cases to other drivers on a sunny day.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
11/27/13 1:11 p.m.

Double_Wishbone
Double_Wishbone Reader
11/27/13 1:24 p.m.

Local Infiniti dealership had a chromed G37 out front for a while. It was kind of a pain to drive by it on really sunny days.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
11/27/13 1:31 p.m.

I wonder if I could chrome out the roof on my Econoline. That way, most people won't even know it's there, but guys in jacked up bro-trucks will be blinded in the sun. Thoughts?

lastsnare
lastsnare Reader
11/27/13 2:45 p.m.
Rufledt wrote: I wonder if I could chrome out the roof on my Econoline. That way, most people won't even know it's there, but guys in jacked up bro-trucks will be blinded in the sun. Thoughts?

I would love to have some type of device that would reflect inattentive hi-beam users (behind me) lights straight back at them.
The side view mirrors seem to stop just short of reaching the required angle.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
11/27/13 2:50 p.m.

I may or may not know someone that might have engineered a cut down Tippmann into the front grill of their car at one point, activated by a hidden switch for the unlikely scenario in which someone drives like a jackass.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
11/27/13 2:50 p.m.

In reply to lastsnare:

About 20 hella or piaa driving lights mounted on the rear of your vehicle would take care of that.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
11/27/13 5:28 p.m.

I get pissed following those chrome strips on truck mudflaps. I can't imagine how irritating a whole chrome car would be.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/27/13 5:42 p.m.

Eh, I kind of like it. It reminds me of this:

Or this:

I am the guy considering polishing some of the panels on my Locost though.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
11/27/13 5:50 p.m.

There is a chrome S-series Benz that I see on occasion out in PGC Maryland outside DC. It's pretty annoying to be near on a bright day, reflections evereywhere. Plus it has mirror tint on the windows and chrome wheels.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 HalfDork
11/27/13 5:54 p.m.

Flight of the Navigator fan drives an Aston?

• Lee
kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/27/13 6:19 p.m.

I'd be tempted to run a black stripe down the hood as an anti-glare. It'd also make me very welcome at Raider games!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/13 6:24 p.m.
GTwannaB wrote: Money cannot buy you style. I have seen this cruising around San Francisco.

People have been known to make odd choices whilst cruising around San Francisco.

02Pilot
02Pilot HalfDork
11/27/13 7:15 p.m.

This has been running at the LRP Vintage Festival for several years:

photo 20Sep12-4-21.jpg  photo IMG_2143.jpg

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
11/27/13 11:36 p.m.

Looks better on some thing then others:

I think this guys is local to me. Very impressive in person.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
11/28/13 7:45 a.m.

I'd be lying if I said that I hated it, but I don't think the Rapide is the best choice for that treatment. I also would have blacked out the center of the hood.

Disclaimer : I've been living in an "Urban" area for a bit to long, and it may be rubbing of on me just a bit.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/13 7:58 a.m.

I could do that to my Disco.. the outer body is all aluminum. Throw some 22s on it and serious ICE and I could have all the baller put to shame

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
11/28/13 8:21 a.m.

I like this a lot more.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/13 11:03 a.m.

I think Chrome wrap generally looks good...but I think it should be kept to show cars because of the glare problems. Just chrome trim can be bad enough, imagine a whole car...

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/13 12:45 p.m.

I like it but I really have poor taste. I would much rather have that than anything matte. I wish I could have done that to my flatbed, it would have gone good with the polished bed, boxes and tanks.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/29/13 7:57 p.m.

Wally, you are just remembering all the old buses with the polished stainless bodies

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/30/13 11:29 a.m.

At least with polished aluminum it is genuine. Something about the chrome wrap just seems so cheesy.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
12/1/13 10:38 p.m.

^ Exactly ^

Polished aluminum is honest. Wrapped anything is Vegas.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zsl3wxSDbzJABGAlfuaeJ5pETZXnsJqgUuhpfQxVGHv6G7UdwL3lCf4VfoYnWatX