1 2
P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/19/09 10:15 a.m.

http://www.chumpcar.com/

Bryce, fiat, anybody heard of this? It sound like LeMons in bigger tracks! The inaugural event is a real 24-hour enduro at PIR over Halloween.

Hmmm... John and I have a car, I can crew chief, John can drive, we need 5 more drivers to make a team... Bryce? fiat? Wanna do some racing in a POS Ford TBird with a theme?

zipty842
zipty842 New Reader
7/19/09 11:22 a.m.

dude, a 2-hour Vespa GP!

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Reader
7/19/09 11:24 a.m.

PRICE

Entry:

$500 per car

$100 per driver (4 drivers per team required for non-24 hour events; 6 drivers required per team for 24 hour events)

$25 for each crew member

$25 for each non-crew member or guest per weekend or $15 per day

That aint $500 racing! And then from the chumpcar FAQ "From there, plan on investing another $1,500 - $3,000 into your hefty-hunk-ofscreaming- junk"

So just call it $5000 racing in low performance, unreliable cars. Still sounds fun....just a bit less fun.

P71
7/19/09 11:47 a.m.

Yeah, the entry fee seems exorbitant. Plus it's $75 if you don't hold any wheel-to-wheel licenses. Figure $1600 in fees for 1 car, 6 drivers (all needing licenses), and two crew members. Divide $1550 up by the 6 drivers and we have $260 each to chip in. Figure everybody is responsible for their own safety gear, half of us will build/pay for the car, and the other half can take care of hotels/lodging and meals. Still expensive, but with a guaranteed survival of the car we should be able to enter again if/when they come back around. Plus with less car contact the car will be useful beyond one race.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
7/19/09 4:46 p.m.

isn't that exactly what LeMons charges? I would say that for a true 24 hour event, that is about par for the course in "cheap" racing.

Carson
Carson HalfDork
7/19/09 4:58 p.m.

In reply to maroon92:

Yeah, I've seen budget estimates in the $3500-$5000 for LeMons.

Is there a subjective voting/selection system that may result in my car being crushed? If not this sounds a lot better than some other series.

CLNSC3
CLNSC3
7/19/09 5:25 p.m.

This sounds like a lot of fun!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
7/19/09 5:43 p.m.

What do you need from an interested party P71, what are the licensing, suit, helmet rules, etc

P71
7/19/09 6:40 p.m.

Carson,

NO crushing! The difference is these guys will claim your car for $1500 and then auction it off with a starting bid of $1750.

aussie,

Looks like the rules aren't finalized yet, but plan on providing your own helmet/suit/etc and paying a portion of the fees.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
7/19/09 7:07 p.m.

Let me know, I appreciate the distance involved but I can handle it so long as it would be an arrive and drive deal. Is that feasible?

P71
7/19/09 7:48 p.m.

We have a car and drivetrain and 3 months to get them together and a cage welded in. If this is something we can really get 5 other people together for then it's certainly doable that you could fly-in and drive with no work required on the car except pit-lane thrashes.

Our proposed team so far is me handling the crew chief duties and building the car (so I won't be racing it), John providing the other half of the financing for the actual car build and trailer, etc, and being driver #1. We would need 5 other drivers to sign up with us that could be trusted not to total the car (since there's no crush rule we could continue to use it later on for other events). If we're building and bringing the car the other 5 should take care of food/drinks and lodging for the team.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
7/19/09 8:27 p.m.

I can work with that, and am more than willing to wrench when not in the car. Food/drinks and lodging makes plenty of sense to me. Put me down as one of the drivers. Let me know what the total will be when you have it firmed up.

P71
7/19/09 8:42 p.m.

OK, well let's start planning on doing this then. I'll try to get in touch with Nashco, fiat22turbo, and Jared this week as potential drivers. I've already talked with John and like I said, we have the car (it was our West Coast Challenge project). I'll firm you in as driver #2 then aussie.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
7/19/09 10:18 p.m.

This looks nearly identical to LeMons, with only minor changes such as a claim rule instead of crushing, bonus laps for themes, and slightly more strict safety rules.

I've got a 24 Hours of LeMons car sitting in my driveway, the "Team Festivus" Impreza wagon. Jessica and I had been thinking about selling it, actually, as we only use it for the occassional rallycross these days and we have a lot going on this year (west coast $2009, amongst them). I'd pretty much written of LeMons after the last event I went to as the race wasn't run very well, but being a TRUE 24 hour race and right in my own backyard is a very enticing deal. I've done both of the 24 hour LeMons races (Flat Rock and Toledo) and the 24 hour races are WAY more fun and challenging than the banker's hours races.

I'll think on it and see how things shake out. It looks like they haven't made the event/series official yet.

Bryce

jpod999
jpod999 Reader
7/20/09 12:31 a.m.

Infineon would be fun. Still not that cheap though.

P71
7/20/09 9:06 a.m.

Bryce,

If you want to use the Scooby I'm sure the already interested Portland drivers wouldn't mind switching to your car I'm just offering up the T-Bird since I know your busier than any of us. Either way I think all of us PNW GRM'ers (and aussie) should try this one. Sound like LeMons only fixed and with less ego. Plus 24 hours of actual racing.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/20/09 5:56 p.m.

There was a local Fiatsi that was building an X-1/9 for the 24 Hours of Lemons, I should drop him a line and see if he's still interested in running the car, etc.

I think starting with a car that is already mostly done is a better solution, IMHO.

If you guys want, we can get together and talk it over with a couple of frosty beverages.

P71
7/20/09 10:13 p.m.

We should all get together soon and talk it over for sure. Bryce is supposed to bring the Fiero to the electric drags on Saturday night, we could pit crew for him and talk it over.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/21/09 9:22 a.m.

What time?

P71
7/21/09 9:41 a.m.

Gates open at 6, racing starts about a half-hour later. I'm already going to be there all day for the SCCA Autocross.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
7/21/09 10:32 a.m.

I'll be busting my hump all week to get the Fiero over to the EV drags on Saturday night, sounds like a decent place to meet up. Jessica can bring the Subie Battlewagon, since it's licensed and street legal. FWIW, I read through the rules and it would need about a days worth of work if a few of us got together on a weekend and something like $200 worth of parts to be ready for this series. Specifically, some of the cage needs reworked (old LeMons rules aren't cutting it anymore) and it needs a window net. Of course, it'd need some consumables too (tires and brakes), which are very cheap for this car.

Unfortunately, I unloaded all of my spare parts (suspension, brakes, hubs, engine, trans, etc.) for the Subie a few months ago while cleaning up the garage to make room for the Fiero. I didn't expect I'd be doing LeMons duty with it anymore. Fortunately, spare Subie parts are easy to come by on the cheap out here and the car has been extremely reliable at Thunderhill in the past. I'm still on the fence if I can do this event, but if I don't I'd be glad to sell the Battlewagon cheap to somebody who planned to put it to good use.

Bryce

GTA31
GTA31
7/21/09 3:42 p.m.

The cost is exactly the same as LeMons and you get more seat time. The prize money is more than double LeMons and it goes deeper into the field. I like that, and they pay for both creative theme and weird engineering. I don't think that the rules are more restrictive -- they just are more detailed in their explanation -- which i like because now I don't have as many questions on how to build my car. I also like the fact that my car isn't getting crushed just becuz somebody voted against me. This is far better racing on better tracks. Finally, these guys stepped up and are racing here...

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington Reader
7/21/09 4:26 p.m.

um, just b/c this is "cheap for W2W racing" doesn't mean it's cheap.

any kind of auto racing--even autocross--is on the expensive side as far as hobbies go. it's not America's Cup yachting, but it ain't birdwatching either.

GTA31 wrote: The cost is exactly the same as LeMons and you get more seat time.

sounds like almost exactly the same amount of seat time, maybe a little more or less depending n the race and number of drivers on your team. lemons races generally range from 12-24 hours in total length.

right now my team has 4 drivers signed up for the 24-hour lemons at Nelson Ledges. that seems like a long race at a big track if i'm not mistaken.

hopefully this will come East...more cheap racing is good, I say. entry lists for Lemons races are huge...if this lightens the load a little, so much the better.

bam2002
bam2002 New Reader
7/21/09 6:19 p.m.

How is every one reading the dual Enduro race, is the entry fee for One 8 hour race or both?

Looks interesting to me. We already have 1 Lemons car with another on the way. And there is a Chump event in FL. Miami is alot closer than CMP. Although we alway will be running at least one CMP event as long as were accepted. It will be intersting to see how the atmosphere of the 2 events compare. The Lemons race has some really good chemistry, with the Judges etc..

Hope to see a few of you in Miani in Feb..

Barry

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
7/21/09 6:50 p.m.

When would you want me to arrive?

What is the accomodation situ?

What time does the race start?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TfaWj9qO3qqa47P7wT1mXvzm5wXmoxOj38pGwRf0YzX7jfd03uzl7ShPHvxdEGHO