AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/12 11:32 p.m.

anyone else gonna be there? we're putting the finishing touches on a new car, so this is the first race weekend we're fielding two cars. we will be busy, but it's gonna be a blast!

AngryCorvair
8/22/12 8:50 p.m.

scored some spare front fenders at Parts Galore the other day, and put a little elbow grease into them today. just because they're from the junkyard doesn't mean they have to look like junk!

obviously the one on the right is as-received, the one on the left has been cleaned up. WD-40 took off the junkyard numbers, then Meguiars Ultimate Compound followed by Meguiars Ultimate Polish got 'em blinged up.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/24/12 7:18 a.m.

I might be able to stop by. How would I find you guys in the paddock?

alstevens
alstevens Reader
8/24/12 1:35 p.m.

I live in Brooklyn and would like to stop in. Do I need to be on a list to get in or sign a waiver for entry or ? Hope to make it in. Al

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
8/25/12 2:23 p.m.

I was considering dropping by Sunday to watch. How do you get in?

AngryCorvair
8/25/12 9:55 p.m.

doh, i didn't have my laptop with me today so am just checking in at 10PM. it's the gate on Brooklyn Blvd (at least I think that's the name of the road). you can try telling them you're crew for #34 "Saturn Gold Car" and see if that gets you in for free. if not, i think it's $25 for an "all access" spectator pass. pretty sure "all access" is the only kind of spectator pass they're selling.

anyway, i think we are in pits 30 and 31. look for two '96 saturn SC2's, one a very stock-looking gold with some sweet tape on the front corners, the other an "art car" painted by the car owner's 10-year-old.

today, we finished 3rd with the gold car and 5th with the art car. more racing tomorrow! we have the whole race for both cars in full 1080p glory!

AngryCorvair
8/25/12 9:57 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: I might be able to stop by. How would I find you guys in the paddock?

pretty sure our garage is number 38. race starts at 9am, checkered flag flies at 4pm.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/26/12 7:36 p.m.

So it was you guys I saw bump drafting down the straight, cool. They didn't charge me to get in, guess my GRM shirt was good camo Should have checked the board this morning before I left. Looks like SC2 is a good car to run. What speeds were you hitting on the oval? How did the tires and brakes fair?

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/26/12 7:53 p.m.

Winning with an SC2? I LOVE IT!

AngryCorvair
8/26/12 10:25 p.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku:

without the draft, the highest speed I saw was 115 mph, the other guys were marginally faster. with the draft, we would routinely hit the OEM speed limiter of 124 mph.

the two guys bump-drafting this morning are brothers, and they were having a ball! they were in NASCAR Turn 3 when the green flag dropped, and they had the bump-draft happening before they even got to the start-finish for lap 1!

we changed our drivers around a little bit today, and i drove the third stint in the Art Car. after seeing the track at speed yesterday and watching about an hour of in-car from one of our fast guys on the big screen last night, i was immediately a lot faster and more consistent today. I also tried a new move that i saw in the video, passing to the inside in turn 7 (the left-hander that rejoins the infield with the oval at NASCAR Turn 3. I carried too much speed, got into the marbles, lost front grip, fumbled on the recovery, and hit the wall at a shallow angle with the right front. this rotated the car counter-clockwise and the right rear hit the wall too.

i gathered it up very quickly and got down on the apron, and got into the pit right away. RF corner is bent, don't know if it's all in the suspension or if the subframe is also damaged. apparently nobody saw it happen, and my in-car camera ran out of memory about 2 minutes before it happened. i was talking to one of the marshalls a little while later, and he said it was never radioed in.

the gold car was fast again today. while running in third place with one hour to go, the P2 car started fuel conservation to the tune of about 6 seconds per lap. we were able to make the pass for P2, but only held it for about 2 or 3 laps before the other guy got the green light from his pit and went back to "you can't keep up with us E30's" mode. so we finished 3rd for the second day in a row, in the gold car's debut weekend.

tires: we started yesterday with stickers on the Art Car and light scuffs on the gold car. last night after inspecting everything, we moved fronts to rears and vice versa, and that's how we ran today.

brakes: we replace front rotors and inspect front pads after every day of Chump racing. rears will go several races without replacing parts.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WQxvO1JpzoBuQri4r1nGvfbqK6ScKef68nI7qLNQRKRsJpZyEjZferbGWfb1iV36