1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/5/19 8:32 a.m.

Call it an update on a classic standby. That was the story behind the new-for-1994 Mustang.

For the first time since the late ’70s, the Mustang finally had new sheet metal. It still resembled Ford’s iconic pony car, though, thanks to that long-hood, short-deck profile. Meanwhile, its modernized face jibed with the rest of Ford’s current lineup. So did the …

Read the rest of the story

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/5/19 8:39 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:   2003: ...This was the final year for the SN95-chassis Mustang.

2004 was the last year SN95. S197 started in '05

And I am a bit surprised the Terminator didn't get a mention. Top of the heap '03-04, Eaton blower, end of production, etc

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
11/5/19 8:44 a.m.

In reply to gumby :

Amended. 

slowbird
slowbird Dork
11/5/19 8:51 a.m.

Maybe it's because I was 10 years old in 1995, but I really obsessively love the SN95. I can't believe I haven't owned one yet. I'm thinking 1995 Cobra R clone, but painted in the most radical purple color you ever saw. Or a 2000 Cobra R clone, but painted in neon freakin' green.

...I need to go search Craigslist for a while...

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/5/19 9:25 a.m.

As if I need another reminder of how old I am, my favorite magazine is now calling a car I bought brand new off the dealer lot a "classic". surprise

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
11/5/19 9:37 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler :

1994 was 25 years ago, and 25 years before 1994 was 1969. I can't imagine not considering any car from 1969 a classic only 25 years after the fact. It's crazy how time works when we've experienced it personally. 

slowbird
slowbird Dork
11/5/19 9:41 a.m.

The 85 years of automobiles from before I was born are OLD. The 34 years of automobiles since I was born are NEW. That's just how it is. :P

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
11/5/19 9:43 a.m.

There was also no '02 cobra, due to the intake manifold recall.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/5/19 9:50 a.m.

SN95 and New Edge are pretty much recognized as separate models.

There is very little love for the early/original SN95; probably the most unloved Mustang since the Mustang II. Super cheap on the used market but some of the engine choices weren't very spectacular.

Tom_Spangler
11/5/19 10:29 a.m.
Jordan Rimpela said:

1994 was 25 years ago, and 25 years before 1994 was 1969. I can't imagine not considering any car from 1969 a classic only 25 years after the fact. It's crazy how time works when we've experienced it personally. 

To be clear, I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just expressing my dismay at my own advancing age! laugh

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
11/5/19 10:44 a.m.

I liked this car only because there where two in my local SCCA autocrosses that were both quick monsters. They looked like fun. Never actually bought one though. 

Classic? Yes I admit it is now old. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
11/5/19 10:56 a.m.
ddavidv said:

SN95 and New Edge are pretty much recognized as separate models.

There is very little love for the early/original SN95; probably the most unloved Mustang since the Mustang II. Super cheap on the used market but some of the engine choices weren't very spectacular.

My blog: http://motorosophy.blogspot.com/

Agreed. These never looked very good to me personally, and the massive number of modular V8 options and the wierd internim period between it and the pushrod 5.0 would make getting performance anything difficult.

But they're great at recieving engine swaps aren't they? Has anyone done a more common DOHC V8, like a Toyota -UZ mill?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/5/19 11:47 a.m.
slowbird said:

Maybe it's because I was 10 years old in 1995, but I really obsessively love the SN95. I can't believe I haven't owned one yet. I'm thinking 1995 Cobra R clone, but painted in the most radical purple color you ever saw. Or a 2000 Cobra R clone, but painted in neon freakin' green.

...I need to go search Craigslist for a while...

You could just buy my Cobra right here on the forum...

slowbird
slowbird Dork
11/5/19 11:52 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

I may have caviar tastes, but I'm on a ramen noodles budget. cheeky

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/5/19 12:47 p.m.
slowbird said:

In reply to Javelin :

I may have caviar tastes, but I'm on a ramen noodles budget. cheeky

My price is more like a burger and fries budget.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
11/5/19 12:51 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

True. But it's a running, driving Cobra. My searching has shown that currently, even V6 automatic convertibles (the trifecta of making me not want them) are $1500 or more. I was hoping to find something for around $500 even if it's in terrible condition and missing the engine.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
11/5/19 12:54 p.m.

I think these make excellent challenge cars.  Depending on the area, it's not hard to find one mechanically sound and already with some upgrades for $1500.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
11/5/19 1:08 p.m.

I bought my 97 Cobra when it was 5 years old and now its 22 years old. Dangit.

there is TONS out there on these cars and you can restore one, make it into a monster, whatever you want. Just remember that the chassis is a bandaided 1978 Ford Fairmont, so it takes some doing and some compromise to get very high levels of performance out of them. Mine is fairly stock (springs/shocks/sway/exhaust are the biggest mods) and I can still do fairly well at an autocross with it. 

Best car for you is all in what you want out of it.  it boils down to whether or not you want to build the motor. The mod motors are more reliable for track work, but hard to build for power, supercharging is the best option and kits are about $5k. The 5.0 is a builders delight. Tons of head/cam/etc options for them. 

Patientzero
Patientzero Reader
11/5/19 4:06 p.m.

I'm on my 3rd SN95 now.  The LS3 was the best thing I ever did to it.  I'm of the opinion that when Ford swapped to the mod motor in '96 that every Mustang should have had a 5.4 in it.  Especially since the Camaro had 5.7 for 3 years at that point.  But then again, when does Ford ever do anything that makes sense.

Even better than the 5.4 would have been developing the 5.8 with things like coil-on-plug, forward facing intake, aluminum block...

b13990
b13990 Reader
11/5/19 6:54 p.m.

I had a New Edge 3.8L, a New Edge 4.6L, and an SN95 5.0L. Call B.S. if you must, but the New Edge cars both felt significantly faster on the street than the 5.0L. Could be the 3.27 differential.

That 5.0L '95 was a beautiful car, though... forest green with tan tweed seats and a T-5.

The worst thing about these cars is how much people screw with them. 4.11 gears? Enjoy the extra shift in the quarter mile. (A T-56 swap will cause the same problem, FWIW, if you're one of the 4 people who actually did this vs. merely participating in the perpetual online circlejerk.)

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
11/5/19 7:36 p.m.

Just picked up an SN95 a month or so ago.  Last SN95 I owned was at least 10 years ago, so my memory had faded.  Having driven mine around some I'm remembering why I like them.  Mine is a '94, so I'm rollin' in my 5.0.  That engine makes glorious noises, my 15 year old son (who is part owner of the car) grins ear to ear every time I punch the throttle.  The car isn't exceptionally quick by today's standards, but that's an easy fix by yanking out the grandma 2.73 rear end gear.  Aftermarket support is cheap and plentiful.  For anyone on a budget looking to get into a fast and fun "muscle car", the SN95 is really hard to beat. 

Tom_Spangler
11/5/19 8:33 p.m.

Honestly, the biggest problem with buying these cars nowadays is finding one that doesn't have a bunch of terrible mods.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
11/5/19 8:57 p.m.

Happens with every car model out there. Especially depends on what you want to start with and your end goal.

I have no problem with starting with the base model v6/auto to make my end goal. Biggest problem is the weight in these cars. Even with the availability of carbon noses, fenders, one piece front ends, doors, roofs, decklids, and preformed lexan, if allowed by the rules, they are still "heavy" cars. The best all steel car I know of still was 26-2700#.

Patientzero
Patientzero Reader
11/5/19 9:03 p.m.
Ranger50 said:

... they are still "heavy" cars. The best all steel car I know of still was 26-2700#.

How is that heavy?  What class is a SN95 going to run in that would make it heavier than anything else?  Running in CAM I already need to add 250lbs of weight just to make my minimum 3300lbs and I'm running against newer Camaros/Mustangs that are 3500+

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth HalfDork
11/5/19 9:09 p.m.

I was a mustang man from 82 till 91 and I loved the Mercury roachback, but I could not stand the new body style interior.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rOaf77z8Xm4rncCGDp5sdQU0bO1imfWZtkV2EAEhNUjWMFnlFUOt9fykXocjG2Yt