Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Reader
8/23/12 10:23 a.m.

can i? the only cages i can find that i like for the ACR are weld ins. really dont want to do that with this car. can i convert it to bolt in? im looking at a six point cage from autoweldchassis.com, with road race door bars and an extra diagonal on the main hoop. im thinking to add plates to the main hoop to floor. im not sure how to do the front and rear tubes to main hoop, as ive seen it with a welded flat flange, and also a welded stub that the bar slides over with a through bolt. mainly doing this because my wife wants a cage and proper safety for my to get back into HPDE, and want bolt in due to the rarity of what im using (1 of 40). i odont want to do anything that cant be put back to stock.

and yes, i looked at autopower cages. but 700 for what i want from them is a little steep, and ive never been too impressed with their fitment.

michael

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/23/12 10:37 a.m.

You could - but you still have to find pick-up points strong enough to bolt to - and you still have to drill holes all over to mount it so it will never be 100% stock. You aren't driving a fully caged car around without a helmet so it's 100% track at that point. I've never seen a good cage lower the value of a track car.

If you are planning to drive it to/from just do a roll bar and make sure it's far enough from your head and well padded and call it a day.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
8/23/12 10:41 a.m.

Weld in a weld in cage, bolt in a bolt in cage. Safety is not something to mess with.

Nashco
Nashco UltraDork
8/23/12 11:12 a.m.

If it's so rare that you fear damaging it with some welds, isn't it too rare to be using for track days? Also, IMO $700 for a bolt in cage that's specifically for your car is a great deal. Once you factor materials and time to rework a weld in cage to be a bolt in, I bet you'd wish you bought a bolt in to begin with.

Bryce

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/12 11:45 a.m.

I'm assuming "ACR" refers to some sort of racing Dodge. They were built for track use, putting in a real cage is fulfilling its destiny. The other 39 will be less valuable as a result

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Reader
8/23/12 11:57 a.m.

In reply to Keith:

i like that logic.

and acr was the faqctory race package. only 40 made in my color combo.

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
8/23/12 4:08 p.m.

Sounds like a lot more work to convert a weld-in cage to bolt-in.. but you could improve in a couple places w/ using CM sleeves and heavier floor plates not usually found in bolt-in kits.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mxHqR92n6pS5y8iRDojbpVTYbPCADXPs9asI9b8T6ws6WwaO0ZMm1HLh3a6QfzAe