OSULemon
OSULemon Reader
5/2/14 8:16 a.m.

Or tell me why I shouldn't do it!

http://lawrence.craigslist.org/cto/4415220923.html

There goes the rest of my day, looking up restored Corvair wagons...

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
5/2/14 8:21 a.m.

Do NOT do what was done to that blue one. It is front engine now! I am more than happy to support a subaru flat 6 swap but leave the engine in the back!

Also, I am quite glad that I am without funds now because that is uncomfortably close and SOO on my bucket list.

OSULemon
OSULemon Reader
5/2/14 8:23 a.m.
singleslammer wrote: Do NOT do what was done to that blue one. It is front engine now! I am more than happy to support a subaru flat 6 swap but leave the engine in the back! Also, I am quite glad that I am without funds now because that is uncomfortably close and SOO on my bucket list.

You are correct - I read the article after I posted it. Somehow an LS swap doesn't seem quite right.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
5/2/14 8:36 a.m.

Damn, my dad has been looking for one of those. This is even in his price range.

The eternal conflict...close the thread and walk away or email dad knowing full well that if he wants it I'm going to have to be the good son that goes halfway across the country to get it and then help restore it....

OSULemon
OSULemon Reader
5/2/14 8:42 a.m.
JThw8 wrote: Damn, my dad has been looking for one of those. This is even in his price range. The eternal conflict...close the thread and walk away or email dad knowing full well that if he wants it I'm going to have to be the good son that goes halfway across the country to get it and then help restore it....

Please do. It's only 1.5 hours away from me...too close to avoid making an irrational decision.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
5/2/14 8:47 a.m.

Damn a '62 Sport Wagon in decent shape. Not a bad price at all if it runs/drives/stops.

The wagons are pretty cool and would be the only EM I would actually buy.

car39
car39 HalfDork
5/2/14 8:49 a.m.

My first yard car. Damn near killed me when I turned on the heat, but the resulting brain damage was probably an advantage working retail.

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
5/2/14 8:59 a.m.

That looks like a 140hp engine (4 carb), I didn't think they were available until the '65s.

mrwillie
mrwillie HalfDork
5/2/14 9:51 a.m.

Dang!! I didnt know that they made those.... buy it and leave the engine where it is...

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/2/14 10:33 a.m.

In reply to Kia_Racer:

it's not a 140, but it is a swap from a standard corvair bodystyle. wagons and trucks did not have dipstick coming through the engine top sheetmetal, and did not have the vertical oil filler tube next to the generator. If they did, you couldn't check or add oil if you had a payload. wagons and trucks had an access panel above the rear bumper, and the dipstick was attached to the cap of the oil filler tube which was relocated for access through that panel.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/2/14 10:34 a.m.

as far as corvair wagons go, IMO the '62 is the one to have because it uses a common master cylinder and pedal assembly with all the later cars. this configuration is much easier to change to a dual-circuit MC.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Qdr1n1ccs5fbX1xFlss130ZSR6HG30Pfe7C0BtVm88pSj7OHE2gKu2MZkzeJgBAi