1 2
DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
2/22/16 8:57 p.m.

Well, would it work, or is it the dumbest thing you've heard today? Specifically ,a C4 as they're starting to appear for the price of a used Kia Rio.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
2/22/16 9:01 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: Well, would it work, or is it the dumbest thing you've heard today? Specifically ,a C4 as they're starting to appear for the price of a used Kia Rio.

Dude, you are in my head right now

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
2/22/16 9:06 p.m.

Seems it can be done: Corvette

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/22/16 9:28 p.m.

It's a great idea!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
2/22/16 9:29 p.m.

We've talked a lot about it. The greatest concern is the longevity of the fiberglass. I'll take a picture of my friends side exit exhaust some time. It looks like you spent half an hour beating it with a ball peen hammer. This is in front of the rear wheel on a rear wheel drive car, so all of the rocks getting pitched at it are from the passive front wheels. Good wheel liners and rock deflecting flaps would be a significant priority.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
2/22/16 9:36 p.m.

How hard would it be to get decent tires on one?

chiodos
chiodos Dork
2/22/16 9:39 p.m.

Do the roadkill thing and cut off the body then add your preference in tires? I can't find any reason they would be bad, if somehow it cracks screw it and get another. If people can have great success rallying Miatas and Porsches, why not corvettes too?

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
2/22/16 9:41 p.m.
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock wrote: How hard would it be to get decent tires on one?

Camaro or S10 rims and some BFG All-Terrains should get some bite.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/22/16 9:45 p.m.

C4s run wheels that are 8.5" at the absolute narrowest, and many are 9.5-10" so tire cost would be relatively high unless you have a line on used stuff. You could theoretically run BMW or other 5x120 wheels but C4s run reeeeeally high offsets, so most other wheels would just compound the issue of throwing rocks all over the fragile fiberglass.

The car would probably take it alright but I agree that the fiberglass would probably be the biggest worry. Also not sure what their suspension travel is like.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
2/22/16 9:49 p.m.

Don't those have notoriously stiff suspension without a lot of travel?

Fitzauto
Fitzauto HalfDork
2/22/16 10:41 p.m.

Dooooo it

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
2/23/16 12:26 a.m.

Back in the 1970s a guy in the Midwest ran a C2 in SCCA national stage rallies.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/23/16 6:08 a.m.
Jim Pettengill wrote: Back in the 1970s a guy in the Midwest ran a C2 in SCCA national stage rallies.

~15-years ago someone had a C3 at 100 Acre Woods.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/23/16 6:54 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: We've talked a lot about it. The greatest concern is the longevity of the fiberglass. I'll take a picture of my friends side exit exhaust some time. It looks like you spent half an hour beating it with a ball peen hammer. This is in front of the rear wheel on a rear wheel drive car, so all of the rocks getting pitched at it are from the passive front wheels. Good wheel liners and rock deflecting flaps would be a significant priority.

Depends on the local terrain. I wouldn't expect much fiberglass/body damage at the Detroit area rallycrosses.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/23/16 7:04 a.m.
chiodos wrote: Do the roadkill thing and cut off the body then add your preference in tires?

Not legal for SCCA rallycross.

bluej
bluej SuperDork
2/23/16 7:06 a.m.
BrokenYugo wrote: Don't those have notoriously stiff suspension without a lot of travel?

The lack of travel would be my first concern. Are they liftable w/out completely borking the suspension geometry?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
2/23/16 11:10 a.m.

I actually looked into this- if you run even semi-rough sites, a C4 is not a good choice, but the C3 can fit 15" truck tires and has more ground clearance. Both C3 and C4 can (theoretically) be lifted easily thanks to their suspension design, but not by a ton.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
2/23/16 11:21 a.m.

Inspirational picture:

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
2/23/16 11:44 a.m.

Word on the street was that RA would never approve a fiberglass car for stage rally. I have done some measurements and agree that the C3 would be superior.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
2/23/16 12:59 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Word on the street was that RA would never approve a fiberglass car for stage rally. I have done some measurements and agree that the C3 would be superior.

But NASA will welcome you with open arms.

RA has some funny rules at times. Rally America wouldn't allow these things seen in other parts of the world. (Lot's of Hawk and other replica Statos rally in Europe in club events, not historic

Where does the SCCA stand for rally sprints? I know the palstic fantastic would be fine for rallycross, but what about rally sprints?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
2/23/16 1:00 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: We've talked a lot about it. The greatest concern is the longevity of the fiberglass.

Shape metal guards and rivet them in place on the rocker panels. Change ever season or as needed.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
2/23/16 1:09 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Where does the SCCA stand for rally sprints? I know the palstic fantastic would be fine for rallycross, but what about rally sprints?

There is nothing in the RallySprint rules preventing a fiberglass car with secured removable roof panel(s) from competing.

bluej
bluej SuperDork
2/23/16 1:26 p.m.

oh my... that boxster. hmmmmmm....

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
2/23/16 1:35 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: Inspirational picture:

best picture I've seen all day

RiverCitySpeed
RiverCitySpeed New Reader
3/6/16 10:36 a.m.

There are some seriously crazy things going on on the C3 vette! Looks like its a '78-82, but it has'70-72 front and rear sections. At any rate, I love the idea of a rally C3!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7OB4mmLMFKCHdrQ0UzJDYqHpPUUMzgnXjLvipWt9e3aFENiZcVM1nRBl4miIPxJy