1 2
egoman
egoman New Reader
6/3/13 10:45 a.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: So, the BMW is sold, the Miata is up in the air waiting for me to fix the driveshaft and a couple of "while I'm in there"s. So, it's a nice day and I figured I'll take the 'vette to work - it's also advertised for sale and I figured it would be a nice shake-down drive before it goes off to a new owner. Instead, it decided that today would be a good day for it to do a nice line in overheating. Managed to limp it into work but now that it's halfway cooled down it looks like there is no or hardly any coolant left in the radiator. Oh joy. Did I also mention that it spent two months at a local shop last year, to have a couple of leaks and intake gaskets fixed? Not to mention that I brought it back a week later because it was pushing coolant out of the overflow tank? Well, I guess that 600 miles later I think I can safely say that they didn't fix the coolant issue, at least not properly. At this point I'm ready to do the "American thing" and buy a new car on payments that last too long and that I can barely afford because I'm sick and tired of the issues we keep having with the older cars. How's everybody else's day going?

What year of corvette is this?? The c3 models had a serious problem with overheating if the chin spoiler was removed. It was ugly but it has to stay. If its another model you should be able to figure it out. Does it have a 400? If you don't use the proper head gaskets the steam holes don't line up and some gaskets that are made for the 400 need them cut in.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/3/13 11:14 a.m.

Argggh. Walked out to the toybox yesterday, there's a HUGE screw sticking out of the left rear tire on the Jensen in a non repairable area. The tires are ~12 year old Michelin Pilots, looks like new sneakers are in its immediate future.

Then I discovered something in the left front suspension on the race car is bent, folded, spindled or mutilated and there's a HC in three weeks.

And as mentioned earlier the XS has decided to ralph its ignition system.

thestig99
thestig99 HalfDork
6/3/13 11:54 a.m.

Saab is down while I wait for 2 silicone couplers for the intercooler, needs the headlights and other front end bits attached properly, "new" fender painted and installed, plugs, wheels balanced and refinished, and full interior + exterior detail. Before June 15th

Miata is fine, of course, except for that noise in the front left suspension that I have yet to track down. And it needs rear tires.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/3/13 12:30 p.m.
egoman wrote: What year of corvette is this?? The c3 models had a serious problem with overheating if the chin spoiler was removed. It was ugly but it has to stay. If its another model you should be able to figure it out. Does it have a 400? If you don't use the proper head gaskets the steam holes don't line up and some gaskets that are made for the 400 need them cut in.

It's a C4 with the non-LT small block.

Some digging on the weekend suggests that it's got a bad water pump so it'll be time to change that one and try again.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2yPtcJYleX6GlWeyek3E54pFh5UwTTr7MzCl5J21fV9CM3DFdao3uNGVzNdnMBqR