chknhwk
chknhwk New Reader
8/19/08 8:33 p.m.

The rearview mirror on my Hyundai fell off so I'd like to use this opportunity to replace it with something a little larger.
Also I've never been impressed with the rearview mirror on my '98 GMC 1500, either. I was wondering if any OEM rearview mirrors are better than others? I'm looking for something that gives a wider viewing angle of what is behind me. Anything in particular I should be looking for? I thought maybe some of the blue hair beaters like Lincoln Continentals or Buick LeSabres might be a worthy score... Any input?

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/19/08 9:05 p.m.

Crown Vic's/Grand Marquis' have great mirrors!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/20/08 12:38 a.m.

"wink" mirror?

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
8/20/08 5:19 a.m.

There is an interesting dual mirror replacement. It's got the standard day/night mirror on top with a panoramic mirror below. Obviously this is a taller mirror, so beware of how this can block vision.

As well many clip ons and simply wide angle replacements. Do a Google search of "panoramic rear view mirror" or "wide angle rear view mirror".

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/20/08 7:07 a.m.

Mirrors are for Bob Costass

Luke
Luke Dork
8/20/08 7:32 a.m.

I recently replaced my rear view mirror with one of those wide angled ones, called a 'Broadway mirror.' It's about 50% larger than the original, and allows me to see out of the rear side windows. It was only $20 on ebay, so if you can find one as cheap as that, I'd recommend it over any OEM mirror.

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing New Reader
8/20/08 12:44 p.m.

I've used a wide view mirror that clamps over the rear view mirror for years. First in a suburban (where you can hide hippos in its blind spots) and then on the Cherokee. Works very well as it allows to see through the rear side windows too, but since it clamps on top of the regular mirror it does not allow for the night/day function. Not usually a problem. Can be on the way of the visors as it is wider by 3-4".

Purchased it at walmart for $12-15. Funny story with it this past weekend. I was changing spark plugs and wires on my brother's Lumina and could not see the ones on the back of the engine, so grabbed the mirror to be able to see them. Worked like a charm and the length helped a lot. Of course then forgot it on top of the engine and crushed it while closing the hood. Had another one that my father didn't like so put it on, although it seems to have a wave on it.

Good luck

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
8/20/08 1:20 p.m.

Look up Enzo's famous quote:

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
8/20/08 3:17 p.m.

You dont need to see what is behind you as long as you are faster!

besides, Mirrors = Drag!

SupraWes
SupraWes HalfDork
8/20/08 3:29 p.m.

Franco: And now my friend, the first-a rule of Italian driving. [Franco rips off his rear-view mirror and throws it out of the car] Franco: What's-a behind me is not important.

oldschoolimport
oldschoolimport New Reader
8/20/08 10:08 p.m.

I have broadway mirrors in my cars, as well as my girlfriends, and I have a wink mirror on the shelf for when my 86 Si gets finished. folks like to hide in blindspots, I like to take that pleasure away from them.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ummSZ8YpW6V7PufperKuZrwMepJuxpx18hGJkK90GtZE3LwVC3apUECraTQeGUxE