Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
9/23/24 11:30 p.m.

Call me Frenchy as some of you may know I've used single axle open trailers for 34 years but this past weekend that changed. I did my first trip with my 16ft enclosed trailer and man does it require far less mental energy.

Also having everything at hand rather than having to pull things out of trailer toolbox or some compartment in the van was really nice.

One of biggest things I liked was being able to leave the tie down straps laid out on the floor of the trailer. After my Sunday race I pulled off track and into the trailer, got out of the car, took off my helmet and strapped down the car in 5 minutes.

I also liked not having to worry about someone messing with the car when I stopped for a bathroom break or a quick bite to eat. 

I got back to my house at 9:30 PM and after a 6 hour drive it was nice to be able to just back the trailer up to the garage door and not worry about unloading until the next morning. I just pulled my gear bag out of my van and went inside.

The only down side was the fuel mileage; I averaged 7 miles to the gallon versus the previous 9. The new trailer is 1500lbs heavier so I was expecting that.

So after years of saying "you don't need that fancy trailer" I am a convert.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/23/24 11:51 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

The only down side was the fuel mileage; I averaged 7 miles to the gallon versus the previous 9. The new trailer is 1500lbs heavier so I was expecting that.

It's probably more the drag from the sail area than the weight.

And yeah, you don't NEED a fancy trailer, but it sure is nice.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver MegaDork
9/24/24 4:22 a.m.

I know you aren't doing the formula car thing anymore, but having a small track apartment is nice. 

Last time at the track a thunderstorm rolled in, was really nice to be able to get the car in and sleep in there with it not having to worry if the car cover was keeping it dry.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
9/24/24 7:32 a.m.

A life lesson of we are never too old to learn something new.

Rodan
Rodan UberDork
9/24/24 7:44 a.m.

I know this forum tends towards the minimalist, but a big, lockable box where all your track stuff is safe and organized is a good thing.  wink

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
9/24/24 8:48 a.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

We'll be referencing FrenchyD for stuff like that, for years after newer guys to the site will have no clue what the reference is!

The bad thing is, most times I really liked the guy. Done a ton of good and cool stuff. But could spin me up like a top with his BS. 
I do miss the old guy, 'round here. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/24/24 6:45 p.m.

I miss my 32' enclosed trailer.  That thing was a beast.

My only problem right now (looking for an enclosed trailer) is that for the price of a semi-beat used enclosed, I could almost buy a brand new open trailer.

No doubt I prefer the enclosed, but my wallet and I are currently not on speaking terms.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
logdog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/24/24 8:44 p.m.

As wierd as it sounds, some of my best memories racing are from huddling in the enclosed trailer during foul weather with the rest of the team.  Especially when one sucker was on track getting wet.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
9/24/24 9:22 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

I enjoyed a lot of his posts and enjoyed his eccentric nature but yeah he did to tend to wind folks up.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
REiyznGAw8HOt4IpdDr7O6FB7lIrVh506i66uh1BbZa93d3FJcvHnNZZzQqRwK54