1 2 3 4
docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
5/30/14 12:01 a.m.

996 Turbo for sure. No motor issues, insane performance bargain for the buck.

AverageH
AverageH Reader
5/30/14 12:05 a.m.

How about a BMW 1M? Pretty rare but I'm seeing some in the 50k range.

-Hamid

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/30/14 12:12 a.m.

You could build one AMAZING E30 with the parts from that car, and still have quite a bit of cash left over.

Buy it back. Wide body kit, carbon hood and trunk. You will still probably have enough cash left over to visit any racetrack your heart desires.

series8217
series8217 Reader
5/30/14 2:17 a.m.

Cayman S or 996 Turbo... Similar pricing, just figure out which one you want more. The 996 Turbo doesn't have IMS issues, so that's a big plus.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
5/30/14 5:49 a.m.

if you like the car (the hail didn't affect the drivability) … take the money and continue to drive it …

unless the looks are more important

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
5/30/14 6:15 a.m.

One more for thought, the NSX is in that price range.

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD New Reader
5/30/14 7:13 a.m.

Buy it back

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
5/30/14 7:17 a.m.

Thanks for the replies.

The car hasn't been officially written of yet, more me venting my frustration at the situation and thinking it through, so I have no buy back price yet, though I will consider it. I did tell the appraiser that all body panels on the car are bolt on, even the roof and quarters, so that might help.

I'll have to take a longer look at the 996tt and Cayman/Boxster. I've had 2 friends with 996tts and one of them even has 330k miles on his with few problems. The reservation I had with the cayman/Boxster is both the IMS issue, and more so how cheap the earlier boxsters are now, depreciating hugely.

The NSX is probably out as they are too old to finance, which I was planning to do for part of this purchase as my credit union has 1.49% rates, so I make more keeping my money working in other places.

I should know today or tomorrow from the insurance company.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
5/30/14 8:15 a.m.

V8 M3 with the DCT.

Add Borla exhaust.

Try to hide your boner.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Reader
5/30/14 8:22 a.m.
Fr3AkAzOiD wrote: Buy it back

+1 for that option.

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
5/30/14 8:40 a.m.

One quick comment on your search possibilities, a C6 Corvette is smaller in every dimension except width (it's 1 inch wider) than an E92 M3. It's 7 inches shorter front to back and 5 inches lower. They're also substantially lighter than an M3.

I'm not sure where the impression comes from that they're huge cars but they aren't.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
5/30/14 8:41 a.m.
Sonic wrote: I did tell the appraiser that all body panels on the car are bolt on, even the roof and quarters, so that might help.

Hmm... find another Z4 coupe with a good body and maybe mechanical issues... spend a w/e swapping panels.

Eh... probably a silly idea.

Sorry to hear about the M. That sucks.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/14 8:47 a.m.

Lots of good suggestions so far. I really like NSX, Evora, C6 and S2k. Although they're all over the map in terms of "specialness" and performance.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
5/30/14 8:51 a.m.

I would say if you choose not to buy it back (and that's okay)... just do GRM the favor of at least passing along the buyback offer.

There seems to be plenty here who would like the opportunity to buy it at buyback price (plus courtesy fee to you) to make it worth your while.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/30/14 9:12 a.m.

+1 on the 1 series M

It would be difficult to find a more "special" car, and there is a very good chance they won't depreciate. You sure won't see yourself on every corner, and if you liked the driving experience of the Z4 M Coupe-- chances are you'd love the 1-M.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/30/14 9:25 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Buy back the Z4, drive the snot out of it. The hail didn't affect how it runs or drives, did it?

+200

Tell people at the track it's using the same science as a golf ball!

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
5/30/14 9:36 a.m.

I for one could not stand to drive a dented up car. Especially one as sweet as an M coupe. I know most of you are weirdo's that never wash your cars, but to me the cosmetic condition of a car is just as important as performance. Maybe even more so. If it can be returned to the condition it was in then fine. There is no way I could drive it in the shape it's in now. IMO, YMMV, ETC, ETC...

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
5/30/14 9:57 a.m.

Add me to the list of people who will totally buy it from you if you buy it back from insurance and want to get something different.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
5/30/14 10:11 a.m.

But will it not have a salvage title now?

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
5/30/14 10:12 a.m.

Does TC Kline still make carbon fiber body panels for this? If so, I might go that route!

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
5/30/14 10:28 a.m.

Damn dude, how'd you get your carrier out so fast? SF is still telling me another 2-3 weeks. So much for their CAT plans being sound.

Really sucks the BMW is beat. The kids know that you and I work very close together, so after they saw my Leaf, Josh asked "What about Chris' car?" When I told him you had the BMW at work, you should have seen his face. He only saw your car a few times, but he thought it was super awesome.

As for what to replace it with, I would say the Evora would be a great fit. If you get one, you've got to let me take a spin in it. That and the Elise are bucket list cars for me. I'd also be worried about non-drivetrain reliability issues. The Boxster/Cayman would probably be a good fit. M3 is never a bad option.

And why no Nissan? Did driving my Leaf sour you that badly??

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/30/14 11:24 a.m.

Sorry to hear this news. What a gorgeous car. I would be looking hard at a Cayman S.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
5/30/14 11:45 a.m.
stumpmj wrote: One quick comment on your search possibilities, a C6 Corvette is smaller in every dimension except width (it's 1 inch wider) than an E92 M3. It's 7 inches shorter front to back and 5 inches lower. They're also substantially lighter than an M3. I'm not sure where the impression comes from that they're huge cars but they aren't.

Optical illusions. They are really wide with long doors though. The cargo capacity is awesome, here I am loaded for a weekend at the track.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
5/30/14 1:01 p.m.

In reply to Petrolburner:

My wallet dares you to show me a picture of bike stuffed into the back of one.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
5/30/14 1:49 p.m.

In reply to Ian F:

A bicycle? A dirtbike won't fit unless it's fully disassembled.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G9jYLGOfDDdJWzHtBbL4ShW3yVLjs29ZyDvBfDdOTTNiJoOMJL1HnD2Y5I9XOzBI