1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/17/09 10:48 p.m.

Today I saw Greg at The Race Place, our local slot car track. They're ready for Daytona. Once again we'll have IMSA GTP cars from BRM. This year's track should be cool, too.

The tours are also going to be neat. We'll be visiting some Mazda teams, Pirelli, Koni and a few others. We might also have a recent cover model/factory driver join us on the tours.

Rangeball
Rangeball Reader
1/18/09 10:55 a.m.

What would be a good time to get to Daytona?

David S. Wallens
1/18/09 1:11 p.m.

On Saturday? The infield fills up early. Our first tour that day is scheduled for 10:00 am. Maybe 9:00 am is a good arrival time.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg HalfDork
1/18/09 1:21 p.m.

I am so excited to be there and get out of our lovely sub zero winter

David S. Wallens
1/18/09 2:51 p.m.

The current forecast says upper-60s for the weekend.

Osterizer
Osterizer HalfDork
1/18/09 3:26 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: On Saturday? The infield fills up early. Our first tour that day is scheduled for 10:00 am. Maybe 9:00 am is a good arrival time.

Anybody going to be there Friday evening?

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/18/09 4:15 p.m.

In reply to Osterizer:

we're leaving to drive up from naples on friday at 6 when i get out of work.

Osterizer
Osterizer HalfDork
1/18/09 4:55 p.m.
bluej wrote: In reply to Osterizer: we're leaving to drive up from naples on friday at 6 when i get out of work.

Very nice. I'm probably going to be there around 8ish.

Find my wagon for brauts and beer!

David S. Wallens
1/18/09 5:18 p.m.

If you're wondering when to show up for the whole weekend, don't miss Friday's Koni Challenge race. It's always excellent. There's also night practice Thursday evening.

Here's the weekend's schedule: http://www.grand-am.com/assets/2009Rolex24OfficialSched2.pdf

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
1/18/09 6:00 p.m.

I'll be there Friday for sure and possibly Thurs. aft.

Koni Challenge series, the original bumper cars! Or at least they look that way on TV.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg HalfDork
1/18/09 7:24 p.m.

Heading South on Tuesday to arrive on Wednesday, will be in Daytona for a week...woohooo

fastmiata
fastmiata New Reader
1/18/09 7:50 p.m.

I hate to rub it in but we checked into our condo today for the whole week. It was 71 today in Daytona! My only problem is that I need to be back at work on Monday and the 3:30 start/finish really is going to make that difficult. I dont know who made that decision but I assume that it was a tv issue.

Rangeball
Rangeball Reader
1/19/09 8:15 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: On Saturday? The infield fills up early. Our first tour that day is scheduled for 10:00 am. Maybe 9:00 am is a good arrival time.

Thanks David. Is there a post that contains the times of the GRM tours? A couple of us may not be able to get there till about 2PM on Saturday. I can always split away from the pack but I wanted to see what is happening and when.

Thanks!

-Will

David S. Wallens
1/19/09 8:28 a.m.

Let me see if we can get a schedule posted.

Rangeball
Rangeball Reader
1/19/09 8:38 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Let me see if we can get a schedule posted.

Awesome. Thank you!

David S. Wallens
1/19/09 9:25 p.m.

And we got a few more things nailed down today:

Randy Pobst will be visiting our tent.

Patrick Long has invited the group over for a visit.

Team Sahlen will give us a paddock tour.

We'll again get a tour of the Koni trailer.

David S. Wallens
1/20/09 3:42 p.m.

Another update: The new GRM support vehicle might be there. It just arrived at the office. It's big.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
1/20/09 4:10 p.m.

i thought that was you bidding on evel kineivel's motorhome on TV!

kevinSC1
kevinSC1 New Reader
1/20/09 10:52 p.m.

less than 7 hours before I go kidnap Dad for the long weekend. We're planning to roll into the hotel around 11PM on Wed night, and be at the track for all the excitement. What time are people heading out to the track on Thursday?

We'll be the guys in the goofy grins in the Silver Saturn Astra.

ddriver
ddriver
1/21/09 10:32 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Anybody aware of any last minute cancellations for the GRM tickets for Daytona? I'm looking for two.

Doug Driver ddriver@sbcglobal.net

David S. Wallens
1/21/09 11:16 a.m.
Strizzo wrote: i thought that was you bidding on evel kineivel's motorhome on TV!

Okay, not quite that big.

David S. Wallens
1/21/09 1:30 p.m.

And looks like Team MER driver/World Challenge Rookie of the Year/Thunderhill 25 Hour winner Jason Saini will be joining us on the tours.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
1/21/09 2:01 p.m.

If you happen to run into Richard Petty again, I know a certain someone who would do horrible, disgusting, sexy things for an autographed s00p3rturd cover. I'm just sayin.

David S. Wallens
1/21/09 2:09 p.m.

I don't know if he'll be back. He was here two years ago as grand marshal. This year it's Brian Redman. I will say that The King came across as a very, very nice man.

David S. Wallens
1/21/09 2:09 p.m.

But if I do see him, you know I'd get you that autograph. You can keep your sexy acts, though.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6l27TseqSrcoyTDWeqbaPew7Vq1gd2W1O9txUOiR8RjZyPs1z1mjKoerzmD7w2Ia