1 2
Nick Murphy
Nick Murphy New Reader
8/18/13 9:15 p.m.

Just wanted to get some feedback on this, any comments appreciated. I am currently looking for a streetable car that could also be used for autocross and rallycross. Also, I have no experience with either of these. This wouldnt be a car I would need to drive to work everyday, but would need to be able to be driven in winter, on street if needed. I figured as a beginner in auto or rallycross, I would probably not doing many more changes than tires for an event. Anyways, heres my thoughts on possible cars, please let me know what you think.

First choice would be e36, roomy enough to carry tools/tires and have some experience with BMWs, plus the quickest stock car Im looking at. I guess my only concern with the e36 is that before any hooliganism ensues I would need to know reinforce rear. I had this issue with an e46.

Others would be Volvo 240 Miata First gen MR2 Early 90s 240 SX First gen RX7

I have never driven the last three so I'm mostly curious just to try these but the two seaters are lacking cargo room obviously. No experience with rotaries for the RX.

thanks alot just curious for any ideas

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
8/18/13 10:00 p.m.

All of the list are good rallycross candidates. In our region it's e30s and 2nd gen RX7s that dominate, but in other regions 1st gen RX7s do, and it seems Miatas do well at nationals.

Volvo 240 was my "other" choice when I got the e30 and I think it would have been similar in competitiveness to the e30.

Frankly, I prefer the e30/Volvo 240/e36. I carry a ton of gear to rallycross, and even with a small tire trailer I still like having interior space. That said, you can always tow a better trailer than me or carry less spares/tools/gear. Also depends if you're running a street tire class or running rally tires.

Keep in mind that a car that is competitive in autocross typically won't be competitive in rallycross and vice versa.

Oh also, for rallycross in a Miata, you'll need a hardtop.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
8/18/13 10:03 p.m.

Edit: if it's not your DD, I would say go with an e30 over an e36. Lighter, smaller car that can be made just as fast. Cheaper parts, and a couple dozen of us rallycrossing nationally (at least). Mine is leading MR class rallycross, also does "ok" at autocross on Star Specs, and is a fun car on the street and still comfortable (though no a/c or soundproofing at all).

Aeromoto
Aeromoto Dork
8/18/13 10:29 p.m.

The 240 would be a good choice if it were not for the friggin drift tax. Obviously, given my avatar, my suggestion would be a Nissan Z31 or Z32 300ZX

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
8/18/13 10:31 p.m.

Impreza RS?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/19/13 5:56 a.m.

I vote Miata.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/19/13 6:30 a.m.

I vote that you go autocross before worrying about a particular car....this is probably more true in your case than people, since you are already mentioning possible mods. (i.e. "reinforcing the rear.") Driving should come before mods. this is true for ANY car you autocross.

With that in mind, miata.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/19/13 6:46 a.m.

Go autocross, then go rallycross, then reflect on how approximately 103.4% of people who have autocross experience, then do a rallycross, stop autocrossing.

Depending on where you live, if you plan on driving it in the winter too, then just pick something with four wheels that can be replaced cheaply. That kills cars way faster than rallycross does. Some of those cars are way too dear to consider to be disposable.

(I do RX a 1st gen RX-7 but it's been literally about seven years since I've RX'd one that had a stockish suspension)

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/19/13 6:58 a.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: Impreza RS?

D'oh, came in to say this.

One of these will be good at both autocross and rallycross...and winter.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/19/13 7:16 a.m.
Knurled wrote: Go autocross, then go rallycross, then reflect on how approximately 103.4% of people who have autocross experience, then do a rallycross, *stop autocrossing*.

This.

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine Reader
8/19/13 7:54 a.m.

1st gen neon. Wrong wheel drive but does great at rallycross. Plus so cheap u just buy another instead of fixing the old one.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/19/13 7:59 a.m.

As a first gen MR2 owner, I would not pick it for an autocross car. They are heavier than you think for their power output, and they are pretty low to the ground. A lot of work would be needed to survive a rallycross, and they are almost 30 years old, so rust could be affecting some crucial parts of the body that would be taking a beating.

I love the MR2, but not for rallycross. Personally, I would want an Impreza RS.

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
8/19/13 8:15 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I love the MR2, ESPECIALLY for rallycross.

There, fixed that for you. But obviously I'm biased. I managed to find a good shape rust-free hardtop model. Your mileage will definitely vary. Into my second season and all is well so far, and hella fun.

Also, I can fit 4 wheels, tools, jack, cooler, helmet, etc being creative.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
8/19/13 8:21 a.m.

Bugeye WRX - 02 or 03

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
8/19/13 9:26 a.m.

My 2000 ZX2SR was a DD, autocross, track day, hillclimb, iceracer. No rally cross, it was too low. did it for ten yrs.

Knurled
8/19/13 12:26 p.m.
NGTD wrote: Bugeye WRX - 02 or 03

The Bugeye WRX has a lot of minuses.

• Weak trans
  • Poor gearing
  • Turbo
  • Wider than other cars in its class
  • Long as a Legacy
  • AWD, which isn't as fun to drive

But it has some pluses.

• Cheaper than a GC 2.5RS in the same condition
mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
8/19/13 1:11 p.m.

I know someone who does everything in an SVT Focus if fwd is something that would be tolerable.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
8/19/13 1:13 p.m.

Focus

Does OK in HS, very well in STF and well in FSP...makes a decent FWD rallycrosser as well.

Hatch makes for a very usable DDer as well.

Parts (both "fun" and consumables) are readily available and are not terribly expensive.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
8/19/13 1:14 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
DirtyBird222 wrote: Impreza RS?
D'oh, came in to say this. One of these will be good at both autocross and rallycross...and winter.

Yep. You can slaughter the turbo cars on tighter courses, plus I find they reward learning how to drive better since they have less power. Plus, they typically are easier on the expendables and run on regular fuel.

I still miss my GC8 2.5RS 4 door They also make incredible daily drivers, just fast enough to be fun but not enough to get in trouble, and the mpg is decent.

Having said all of that, nothing stopping you from getting a N/A GD impreza. Only a couple hundred pounds heavier but more refined. Sure, I'd take the GC8 any day of the week but beggars can't be choosers.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
8/19/13 2:19 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
NGTD wrote: Bugeye WRX - 02 or 03
The Bugeye WRX has a lot of minuses. - Weak trans - Poor gearing - Turbo - Wider than other cars in its class - Long as a Legacy - AWD, which isn't as fun to drive But it has some pluses. - Cheaper than a GC 2.5RS in the same condition

Considering OP is also looking to DD it, some of the minuses you listed are pluses - extra room due to the length and width vs. many of the options listed here.

Transmission in mine is fine and I have been running a stage 1 map for a while. I sometimes load up the stage 2 map for fun. Find one that hasn't been abused.

The true downside is that a WRX is going to put you in the top class and the "fast guys" are going to hand you your ass until you get better. The 2.5RS's make better torque and are light so they will be hard to beat on a tight course. The course I have run is not tight, so this hasn't been an issue.

I used to Rallly-X an Outback wagon, so the WRX doesn't seem too big!

Nick Murphy
Nick Murphy New Reader
8/19/13 3:43 p.m.

Thanks for the posts, I agree with the E30 suggestion, except Ive owned 3 and looking for something different. I definitely want togo rear wheel drive just a personal preference, I know its probably not the fastest option around a rallycross. The only reason I suggested reinforcing the e36 right away is that I really dont know how susceptible these are to tearing the subframe, dont want to try that one rallycross and do it first time out. Otherwise I completely agree with you. I was torn subframe on e46 and would prefer to not deal with same issue after the fact. And yes, winter sucks that basically whatever I buy will be partially destroyed by just existing here. So I dont plan on buying any show cars.

thanks alot

Knurled
8/19/13 4:45 p.m.
NGTD wrote: Transmission in mine is fine and I have been running a stage 1 map for a while. I sometimes load up the stage 2 map for fun. Find one that hasn't been abused.

Depends a lot on driver, too. There's a local with a 2.5RS who seems to go through several transmissions a year. I never did find out what is breaking, but something inside snaps or shears or something and then it's push it on a trailer time.

OTOH, another local guy managed to go quite a few seasons, the last couple on E85 and antilag, before finally grenading the trans.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
8/19/13 6:19 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
NGTD wrote: Transmission in mine is fine and I have been running a stage 1 map for a while. I sometimes load up the stage 2 map for fun. Find one that hasn't been abused.
Depends a lot on driver, too. There's a local with a 2.5RS who seems to go through several transmissions a year. I never did find out what is breaking, but something inside snaps or shears or something and then it's push it on a trailer time. OTOH, another local guy managed to go quite a few seasons, the last couple on E85 and antilag, before finally grenading the trans.

Not sure who you're talking about, ( not me obviously), but I learned when I had my Legacy that Subaru 5 speeds really don't like being downshifted into first on course.

If you go with an E36, you may want to try to get in touch with Brakim Racing. They rally one, so they might be able to give you an idea what the weakest points are.

parker
parker Reader
8/19/13 6:22 p.m.
Jaxmadine wrote: 1st gen neon. Wrong wheel drive but does great at rallycross. Plus so cheap u just buy another instead of fixing the old one.

I have done quite well with all the above in a 1st gen Neon. They also get over 30MPG highway.

I have one for sale in both the $2013 classifieds and the Open Classifieds.

barrowcadbury
barrowcadbury Reader
8/19/13 6:33 p.m.

I have a 2001 RS for daily driving (including MN winters), autocross, and rallycross. I honestly struggle to think of too many cars that could do better at all three.

Here she is: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/6598/

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IQe3Z7RcVXOCftzfi9TiPq85ZlnPJnfEuCGloXKstpkzbGnrFdBKPLKMztGA1dHQ