Strathclyde
Strathclyde New Reader
8/3/13 8:01 p.m.

Every once in a while I get a hankerin' for a pickup. I did have one a coup,e years ago, but it was the $1100 Crapmaster (1988 Dodge Dakota V6, auto, 2wd longbox pile of crap--NOT a daily driver.) This time I'm thinking about a nicer truck, something persentable and not horrid to drive.

The only non-negotiable is a manual transmission, and I'd prefer a full-size truck.
Something like THIS ONE.

How are these to drive? To live with on a daily basis?

Thanks!

jdbuilder
jdbuilder New Reader
8/3/13 8:49 p.m.

In reply to Strathclyde:

Got an 05 with 175k I just about dd everyday. Awesome truck as far as nice ride, descent steering and liveability. I got the 4.6 with 4x4 and 35" tires so mpgs suck. Before tires and chip I was getting 17 to 18 mpgs. Funny thing is I'm not a fan of Fords so I say these things from that perspective when I say these are good trucks.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
8/3/13 9:02 p.m.

I dd'd a 95 F150 for years, before that a K5 Blazer. I have numerous friends that dd F150's (a couple have the ecoboost and love it) and other brand trucks. My future son-in-law just traded his Avalanche on a new F150 w/ecoboost. It's his only vehicle and uses as a dd and tow his drag bike. Apparently lots of other people dd F150's too by the amount of them on the road.
Why the non-negotiable manual trans? Automatics have heavier tow/load rating than manuals. Makes for easier dd and more plentiful. Automatic technology has greatly improved over the years. I like my manual trans cars but when it comes to a truck that will haul something, make mine A/T please.

Strathclyde
Strathclyde New Reader
8/3/13 10:10 p.m.

In reply to wlkelley3:

The manual trans non-negotiability is because I'll be driving it. I utterly detest automatics because they're slow to respond and worse in every way, dynamically, for what I want to do. I don't tow anything, so that doesn't figure in my eveluation.

Maybe I'm one of those dreaded ones who would use a pickup as a car and only occasionally use it to haul brush or something small.

I simply like manuals more--so much more that I really don't want one if it's automatic. Sorry, but I care about driving even when I'm not in something cool. I often drive automatics at work--they're city buses--and that's enough for me.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
8/4/13 12:02 a.m.

I don't mind some automatics, but the one in the f150 is awful. I wouldn't want one either lol.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory HalfDork
8/4/13 6:43 a.m.

I'm about to dd my '95 F150 4x4 again. Did it for quite a while before I bought the Mazda.

I like it, I especially like being able to see in traffic and not feel like I'm about to get squashed if I have to brake hard.

Great visability helps too.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
8/4/13 8:03 a.m.

In reply to wlkelley3:

FWIW I'm glad you're happy driving an a/t ...

but I'm with Strathclyde here ... my '97 F150 4x4 4.6L AT SUCKS as a DD for one big reason and that's the AT (makes towing a PITA also) most of the back rds around here have a speed limit of 35 ... the AT computer won't let it slip into torque converter lock-up 'til you reach 38 mph ... and while I don't mind speeding, I really don't like to on the community rds

when towing ( ~ 3000# counting what's in the bed) it's constantly shifting out of lock-up where a manual would let me just mash a bit on the the gas pedal and stay in 5th which would = better gas mileage ... coming up the mountains when I'm coming home from the track the AT will shift all the way back to 2nd gear (4000+ rpm) where a manual would stay in 3rd ..

so like I said ... I can well understand Strathclyde's position of not wanting an AT ... my next truck WILL be a manual

and jdbuilder ... I sure wish I could get the mileage you were getting

I manage between 12 and 15

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory HalfDork
8/4/13 11:50 a.m.

Yeah, my E4OD is either in too high a gear (on the faster roads) or you gotta mash it to downshift. By the time it does, it's almost to late.

It's a compromise no doubt but my wife will gladly take it to the store where with an MT, not so much.

beans
beans HalfDork
8/4/13 12:03 p.m.
jdbuilder wrote: In reply to Strathclyde: Got an 05 with 175k I just about dd everyday. Awesome truck as far as nice ride, descent steering and liveability. I got the 4.6 with 4x4 and 35" tires so mpgs suck. Before tires and chip I was getting 17 to 18 mpgs. Funny thing is I'm not a fan of Fords so I say these things from that perspective when I say these are good trucks.

Similar to my Dad's. His is an 05, leveling kit, 35's, FX4/5.4. Gets about 16-17 without a trailer. He DD'd it for about 3 years, gas hit $3 a gallon, bought a new Civic. Paid for itself in gas savings within 2 years, but he drives 140 miles a day for work. He HATED the Civic, just sold it and bought a Taurus about 5 months ago. Loves that car, and gets about 27mpg average. The truck just sits in the driveway unless we have to tow/haul something. Great truck, wouldn't wanna DD it though.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
8/4/13 2:46 p.m.

The above comments are pretty much the same experience I had driving an F150, it was a brand new u haul rental, and it annoyed me the whole time I drove it. It was a while ago, but it was either a 5 or 6 speed automatic (I can't remember), and I was mostly driving where the speed limit was 45 and it would short shift though the gears until it was going 50 mph at idle. I know it was done for fuel economy, but it was totally annoying to drive.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/4/13 4:17 p.m.

manual transmission is something I wish my Land Rover had. The auto is good, but I still hate it.

From everything I have read on towing websites, it is not that the manual F150 can tow less with a manual, it's that ford did not want to warrenty clutches, so they derated the manuals compared to the autos. They can both tow the same amount of E36 M3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gcU7NZkpg1Gd0XE14GzjlBKlOX0Ewymt3NCHqWzs3DcjA9wdfpZdeDIn4Lfimp7M