1 2 3 4
captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/6/13 10:43 a.m.

I checked Hyundai's website and the Accent is now only available as a sedan and 5 door, same with the Kia Rio, Mazda2, Chevy Spark and Sonic. With modern direct injected 1.6L engines it should be the heyday of the 3 door hatch, are the shutter retro Minis and Fiats the only options left?

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/6/13 10:45 a.m.

Yaris?

92dxman
92dxman HalfDork
11/6/13 10:47 a.m.

The Yaris is still available in three door edition. Great car, good handling with rear sway bar/springs,good mpg but too small for me nowadays. Last gen Accent hatchback is a good car.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/6/13 10:47 a.m.

Even the Veloster isn't a 2-door.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/13 10:51 a.m.

4 doors are easier to insure?

I have only recently moved away from having 2 door hatchbacks as DDs.. and once I get the saab up and running again, I will again have one. I personally think they are the best compromise on size, handling, and space you can get

captdownshift
11/6/13 10:51 a.m.

I had forgotten about the Yaris, if only the 2ZZ was offered in the Yaris. Also i worry about the long term offering of the Yaris 3-door when the tagline on Toyota's website for the Yaris is: Yaris, It's a car!

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
11/6/13 10:58 a.m.

Golf

mad_machine
11/6/13 10:58 a.m.

the sad thing is.. the 2 door hatch is still thought of as "bargain basement" lowest rung on a car makers ladder. It is no wonder they are getting away from it

captdownshift
11/6/13 11:02 a.m.

I should be ashamed for having forgotten the Golf. Bonus points to VW for offering the TDI and GTI versions

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Reader
11/6/13 11:42 a.m.

I hate that we don't get the three door fiesta. I loves my old focus three door.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/6/13 11:48 a.m.

I'll be the first to say it: 3 door hatches suck. This from somebody that has owned several.

I guess they were fine before kids, but trying to wrestle a baby into one SUCKS!

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Reader
11/6/13 11:54 a.m.

I love the way they look. Honestly after I got a five door hatch it was nice to have the shorter doors to open in tight spots and the availability to actually use the back seat. I never put anything in the back of the 3 door bc it was such a pain.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
11/6/13 11:57 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: the tagline on Toyota's website for the Yaris is: Yaris, It's a car!

I thought you were joking.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/13 12:05 p.m.

That was one of the selling points of the Fiat. My wife wanted something that looked fun and cute, and being a two door is what put it ahead of the Fiesta in her mind.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/13 12:05 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: Also i worry about the long term offering of the Yaris 3-door when the tagline on Toyota's website for the Yaris is: Yaris, It's a car!

I thought you were kidding, I had to look it up...

A 2zz in a Yaris hatch would be a beast. They could put stiffer suspension on it, stick on an aero kit and different body bits on it and sell it as a new Starlet.

Working on the engine would require more disassembly than an Elise though...

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
11/6/13 12:19 p.m.

MINI?

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
11/6/13 12:23 p.m.

As an owner of a 3-door Yaris, I don't see any reason why it should exist when they can make the car with 5 doors. It's a pain to get people and things in the back seat. It's not like the car is more stylish with 3 doors. What the hell's the point?

The only advantage I can see is cost: Fewer window mechanisms, hinges, latches.

There are a lot of things I dislike about that car—one of which is the fact that I'm stuck with it for a while—but the number of doors is probably the biggest issue I have.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
11/6/13 12:28 p.m.

As an owner/previous owner of both 2 and 4 door hatches in the past, I can't think of a single reason the 4 door should exist. They're ugly as hell, awkward to get in to with those stupid little doors, and they're usually bigger and heavier. When my kids were little, we had both, and I'd take the 2 door every time. Loading the kids in their seats with those little doors was brutal.

mad_machine
11/6/13 12:40 p.m.

the 4 door hatch is almost a small wagon...

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
11/6/13 12:48 p.m.

I like my Focus, but if they'd had a 3 door I'd have taken it by a country mile. Why does Europe (and I think Mexico, even), get a 3 door and we in the US are stuck with 5? Because marketing people suck, that's why. I'm convinced that it's some woman in charge (and I'm not against women - I married one!) that is too friggin' "practical" and thinks 3 doors are stupid. Dummies.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
11/6/13 12:59 p.m.

I'd like my Fiat more if they could maintain some semblance of nice design and make it a five door. I'd also like my 900 more if it were a 5 door instead of a 3 door.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
11/6/13 12:59 p.m.
Alan Cesar wrote: As an owner of a 3-door Yaris, I don't see any reason why it should exist when they can make the car with 5 doors. It's a pain to get people and things in the back seat. It's not like the car is more stylish with 3 doors. What the hell's the point?

Actually I like the look of the 3-door Yaris quite a bit more than the 5-door.

versus

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
11/6/13 1:00 p.m.

I wish my coming-soon Spark EV was only three doors. They know the extra doors are ugly so they even hid the handles for the back doors! It's all about checking more boxes on the magazine comparison tests. Stupid magazines and their stupid testing...

Remember, if you want something to exist on the market...like a 3 door hatch...BUY IT WHEN IT IS AVAILABLE. For all of you supporting 3 door hatches verbally, put your money where your mouth is if you still want it to exist in the future. I loved my first gen Honda Insight and I'd buy a new car with that teardrop body (3 door hatch!) IN A SECOND if one hit the market again.

Bryce

mw
mw Dork
11/6/13 1:39 p.m.

I love three doors. My current dd is a 318ti. It cost more than a similar 328i, but I wanted the three door that much. My daughter has no issues getting in and out of it. Once she was two, it was just as easy as a 5 door.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/6/13 1:45 p.m.

The previous Focus could be had as a 3 door, and I see lots more of them than the 5 door. So why cut out the sales leader? The previous Cobalt could be in 2 or 4 door, you see a lot more 2 doors on the road (plus the G5 which was coupe only) New Cruze is 4 door only. Again, why cut off the sales leader? Lots of people were buying 2 doors, why shun them? The cars are offered in Europe! Why do they get a choice and we don't? The Fiesta ST is a neat car, in 2 door guise. I won't buy a 4 door.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B4U9JOvAK4P0tF80uWiVPlAaiD1eR9xur4dCMPdFXso5FJjTxHmM8bGxwV5YJY8E