Spitsix
Spitsix GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/11/08 7:54 p.m.

November 11, 2008

FROM THE ASSOCIATED PRESS ATLANTA -- Delivery company DHL, hit by heavy losses and fierce competition, is significantly reducing its air and ground operations in the U.S. and cutting 9,500 American jobs, leaving rivals like FedEx, UPS and the U.S. Postal Service to fight over the customers it will stop serving.

The decision announced Monday could lead to higher shipping prices and greatly scale back a possible venture between UPS and DHL, the fourth-largest shipper of packages in the U.S.

Deutsche Post AG, the German parent of DHL, said it will no longer offer U.S. domestic-only air and ground services as of Jan. 30, though it said international shipping to and from the U.S. would continue.

Scott L

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/11/08 8:04 p.m.

This is a slow-motion thing, the Colorado shops shut down a while back. But DHL was still accepting two-day packages going to Colorado, even though there was nobody to deliver them. Odd.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/11/08 9:48 p.m.

I'd say UPS and to a certain extent FedEx are happy since DHL always rubbed them the wrong way since they had a virtual monopoly in Germany thanks to the government there.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
11/11/08 10:47 p.m.

well, there are rumors that Penske was pulling out of ALMS anyway, a loss of major sponsor DHL might tip that decision.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Reader
11/12/08 6:30 a.m.
Keith wrote: This is a slow-motion thing, the Colorado shops shut down a while back. But DHL was still accepting two-day packages going to Colorado, even though there was nobody to deliver them. Odd.

I have a friend that works for DHL and he (like so many other people these days ) is worried about losing his job. The funny thing is with so many cut backs already, the packages sit on the docks for 2 weeks even (as you mentioned) the over night and two day delivery ones. I fail to see how this is going to help the remaining customers stay loyal.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Reader
11/12/08 1:34 p.m.

I seen the rigs at the Rolex practice tuesday at Daytona .

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
11/12/08 6:59 p.m.

I never had a great experience with DHL at work or at home. The delivery workers were rude and didn't seem to care what was in the packages they were transporting either. It sucks to hear that people are losing their jobs, but I can live without DHL although none of the competitors are any better. DHL was always the last on my list to ship.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Snt31PKH3J5Q1T5SNYPo1CGqDxSteWsCDAnQ3ipZAB6lOFPVPtIlEMKjA4xiZKFl