1 2
93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
1/3/24 11:13 a.m.

If I had to drive 10 miles a day I would have an 8.1 Avalanche 2500.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
1/3/24 11:26 a.m.

In reply to grover :

Nope, definitely not covered like that!  It's ten years since new, so the most coverage you'd have is until 2026 if it's a 2016.  Also the mileage cut off is either 120k or 125k miles.  It's not ten years/100k miles from today....

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/3/24 11:35 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

you are 100% correct.  I just looked at the emissons vin lookup again and additional warranty expried in 2021 and factory in 2023.  It's looking a lot less attractive now. 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/3/24 1:38 p.m.
Javelin said:

Why not a Cayenne Hybrid?

Or an X5 hybrid? I have a 2012 X5 diesel (ironically) and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, I've spent a good bit maintaining it but, damn, it's a nice place to spend time. In the generation after mine, they introduced a hybrid. Here is one close to you.

2018 X5 hybrid in Palm Beach

wake74
wake74 Reader
1/3/24 5:39 p.m.

The technical answer for a 2013 is 10 yr / 120k from the in service date OR 4 / 48k from the diesel gate repair. So what you really want to find is a Cayenne diesel that has never had the repair done. Poof, instant 4/ 48 warranty. I have heard of a few of them that still exist but that's an extreme unicorn and probably also coincides with a vehicle without a dealer service history.  

grover
1/3/24 7:04 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

I looked at those early on and while I was very drawn to the battery only capactiy for potentially a round trip- I think the fact that it was bmw's first foray into hybrids scared me off. 

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
1/3/24 7:48 p.m.

I remember seeing someone on Instagram showing how they had to take a significant portion of one apart to replace a bad battery in some alarm module buried deep in the cowl area to avoid hundreds of dollars for a new alarm module or something, and it just didn't seem fun to me at all.  I like Cayennes but I would probably get an older one if I ever bought one.

BlindPirate
BlindPirate Reader
1/3/24 7:52 p.m.

Take over the wife's GX, lift it an inch or two, put on some mud tires and be the object of everyone's envy!

grover
1/3/24 8:20 p.m.

In reply to BlindPirate :

Oh that's eventually in the plan- I did just put new tires on it so that may be the next tire plan.  

You're right though, it's looking more and more like we're going to end up with a commuter car to get through the next 5 years or so while the kids are in high school. Likely one of them will drive the next car some and it will be nice to not worry about it so much.  

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/3/24 8:24 p.m.
grover said:

In reply to dyintorace :

I looked at those early on and while I was very drawn to the battery only capactiy for potentially a round trip- I think the fact that it was bmw's first foray into hybrids scared me off. 

Based on my experience between a 4 cylinder BMW X3 PHEV and a 6 cylinder X5 45e PHEV, don't buy a 4 cylinder BMW hybrid.  

The X3 spent a lot of time in the shop due to problems with the internal combustion portion of the powertrain.  The X5 has been totally trouble free.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eabapRyHwIlzwTM6fHkO6eQ220SLiNlY4LH6xfuGrvf1Wr0xoLLwpZNfPRW06SXU