1 2 3 4
fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
11/28/12 4:44 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: If they brought the wagon, diesel 6MT I would be forcing my money on them.

exactly.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
11/28/12 4:45 p.m.
Woody wrote: How many diesel wagons with manual transmission do you really think they'd sell in the US? Sure, everybody here says they want one, but what they really want is to find an eight year old one for $4500.

I'll probably sell my truck to buy one if they offer a manual diesel wagon. I want that car. Want want want.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
11/28/12 4:49 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
Woody wrote: How many diesel wagons with manual transmission do you really think they'd sell in the US? Sure, everybody here says they want one, but what they really want is to find an eight year old one for $4500.
I'll probably sell my truck to buy one if they offer a manual diesel wagon. I want that car. Want want want.

True, If I had an aluminum trailer I could probably tow the rx7 with it safely. However I would lack the massiveness that is a 3/4 ton suburban...

singleslammer
singleslammer HalfDork
11/28/12 4:55 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote: However I would lack the massiveness that is a 3/4 ton suburban...

You say that it is a bad thing.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
11/28/12 5:00 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

I pack all my tools and misc extra parts wheels and tires and still have room to stretch out in and sleep (I'm 6'4") it saves me money on hotels!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
11/28/12 5:03 p.m.

The big thing I'd lose is the seating for 6 I have in the truck. That would relegate all full family driving to my wife's truck. I'm not sure how she'd feel about that. I suppose I could just leave her at home. Or we could caravan. I'm sure I could work it out.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/28/12 5:11 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote:
Nope! I like my warranties and I would like to not have to wrench on it, I have enough car projects I just want something I can drive to work and take on road trips. If I was to buy that wagon 6 speed diesel I may not buy a new car for 15 years... I understand that the diesel wagon combo would probably be priced around 35k too. I could buy a mini cooper countryman but this is so much more my style :)

I cannot speak for the masses, or how massey they might be. But it was only piling the VW HPFP issue worries on top of the normal VW fears that sent us home in a WRX. We still came terrifyingly close to a TDI Sportwagen even with those fears, because it was so much more the car we wanted.

So I spent about the same money (perhaps a couple $k less) and bought the best thing available. Now that I've found out for real and true how infrequently I can use a WRX's strong points, and how much less fun I find it than a heavily-modifed older car for driving giggles, I'm basically waiting to pounce. A new TDI HPFP (or vastly improved warranty) or a diesel Mazda6 wagon would see me on a dealer lot this weekend.

And again, you can't swing a dead cat in Portland without smearing it against a TDI Sportwagen, though I'm not sure what % are manuals. The DSG drives nicely, but scares the living bejeezus out me in terms of future costs.

EDIT: Of course, no matter how badly I want one, nor how real my count of one is, it doesn't exactly address Woody's point about how many people really would buy them. Guess I just felt strangely compelled to point out that I fall into the ready-to-act-now camp as opposed to the I'd-really-like-one-of-those-if-I-were-actually-car-shopping camp...

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
11/28/12 5:15 p.m.

This would be my cross country super grand tourer. There are so many roads on the map. So many. Grand canyon. Pikes peak. Death valley. Newfoundland! I would drive so very far just because I could.
Yes, I technically already can, but I'd want to more.

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
11/28/12 5:43 p.m.

I don't know that you could get the sportwagen jetta TDI in manual. My wife wanted DSG when we looked at them.

If the mazda6 wagon in diesel is larger than our matrix inside I would strongly consider the new car purchase. (if we get the wagon at all)

of course rumor says bmw is bringing multiple 3 series diesels with one of those a wagon so hopefully RWD

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
11/28/12 5:48 p.m.

We were looking for something to replace the wife's '03 Jetta TDI sedan. Might have to hold off another year. Let's hope they bring the diesel stateside.

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
11/28/12 5:55 p.m.

If they put the diesel in a wagon, we will buy one to replace Chrissy's 2007 Mazda3, doubly so if it is a manual trans. If they don't, we will continue our current plant to wait for the 320d wagon, which does seem likely to be sold at some point.

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
11/28/12 6:00 p.m.

btw

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/jaynen/jetta

at least for me some of the time diesel has been cheaper than gas, other times its more expensive. So even at 10-20cents more a gallon at times it has been well worth it.

Of course my car cost me 6k 3years ago and is still worth 5-6k

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
11/28/12 6:18 p.m.

In reply to ransom:

I believe they will give us the diesel in the CX-5 after they rate the success on the mazda6. Proven fact, Americans buy more crossovers than wagons. So I'm sure their reasoning is purely fiscal.

Also finding an old mazda 6 wagon, v6 5 speed leather interior without 180k on it is tough!

Also also, I'd settle for a DSG but thats just me.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
11/28/12 7:36 p.m.

This is a car that might possibly replace my 3 for Daily Driver duty down the road.

On the way down to the Challenge this year, we had two vehicles driving from MA to Gainesville. One was a 2009 Tahoe towing the Jeep, and the other was my buddy's 1996 VW Passat TDI wagon with a stick. That was my 1st experience with a diesel.

Even though that wagon had over 220,000 miles in it, was packed to the gills with crap, and had three dudes in it, it still got over 40 mpg on most tanks. I think the worst we got was 38 mpg, and that was because the car somehow slipped into limp mode because of a loose inlet hose. The range was incredible, and it was a perfect car for the long drive.

Driving it was so much different than anything else I've driven. It felt more like a truck with it's power delivery. Once I got used to it, I was loving the car.

I don't know how I feel about buying another VW after the last one I had, so If they bring that 6 here in wagon form with this Skyactiv D motor, I WILL buy one if I can afford it.

Hal
Hal Dork
11/28/12 7:43 p.m.

Diesel anything has no interest to me untill the cost of diesel gets a lot closer to the cost of regular gas. Around here it is usually 60-80 cents a gallon more.

Enyar
Enyar Reader
11/28/12 8:21 p.m.

Curious to what this actually sells for. Right now its sounds like the best car on paper for my next car but who knows what ends up happening.

Enyar
Enyar Reader
11/28/12 8:22 p.m.

Curious to what this actually sells for. Right now its sounds like the best car on paper for my next car but who knows what ends up happening.

I did just read that the diesel will likely be auto only :(

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20121128/LOSANGELES/121129869

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
11/28/12 10:49 p.m.
Hal wrote: Diesel anything has no interest to me untill the cost of diesel gets a lot closer to the cost of regular gas. Around here it is usually 60-80 cents a gallon more.

Well you can always do the math vs current mpg on non diesel. It's not near that much of a premium here unless you only use arco cheapo gas to begin with. There are other benefits. Getting 600 miles out of a tank means less trips which is nice once you get used to it

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
11/29/12 11:24 a.m.
Hal wrote: Diesel anything has no interest to me untill the cost of diesel gets a lot closer to the cost of regular gas. Around here it is usually 60-80 cents a gallon more.

That may be but the engines are more robust, simpler (this one is twin turbo)there are no throttle plates or ignition systems.

Basically, less to go wrong and the internals are incredibly strong out of the factory.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/29/12 12:04 p.m.
Enyar wrote: Curious to what this actually sells for. Right now its sounds like the best car on paper for my next car but who knows what ends up happening. I did just read that the diesel will likely be auto only :( http://www.autoweek.com/article/20121128/LOSANGELES/121129869

Mazda announced this morning that the Sky-D Mazda6 is coming to the US with both the auto AND the manual!

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
11/29/12 12:20 p.m.

In reply to Enyar:

http://www.mazda.com/publicity/release/2012/201211/121120a.html?link_id=nr

MSRP (in japan yen) shows the manual trans 6-speed diesel the same price for sedan and wagon...

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
11/29/12 12:36 p.m.

No wagon. No manual. No sale.

VW have been selling diesels in the US for decades. They've even wittled the option list on the current Jetta wagon down to three trim levels: no sunroof, sunroof & sunroof w/ navigation. That's it. You can't chose any other option other than a few pointless, dealer installed trinkets. But they STILL offer the car with a 6 spd manual transmission. You know damn well they wouldn't offer it if it wasn't selling.

A good number of VW diesel owners love diesels but only drive a VW because there's no other option. That said, diesels owners tend to be retro-grouches and prefer to shift for themselves. My car has been good to me so I don't hate VW, but I generally count myself in both camps.

I swear car product managers live in an effing cave...

andrave
andrave HalfDork
11/29/12 12:53 p.m.

I have a diesel excursion, and I know its not quite the same as a diesel car. I (like many of you, I'm sure) tow a trailer regularly. With my excursion, that trailer is a 12,000 lb gross 20' deckover with dovetail and winch. I can carry just about anything without having to think twice and it hauls my heavy '78 f150 play truck quite nicely, and thats great. Now I could have got a v10 for about $5000 less and a v8 for another $6000 less. Right off the bat, $5000 buys a lot of gasoline!! I don't have a v10 or v8 one to compare. But from the forums, most of the v10 guys are quite lucky to average 12 mpg mixed driving. My excursion is capable of up to 22 if you shift into neutral down hills, follow semi trucks, and keep rpm's below 2000/stay out of boost. However my average tanks from my mixed city/highway commute are usually between 15 and 17, and this is being very light on the accelerator and staying below 65 mph. Gas here is around .60 to .80 cents cheaper than diesel, so the fuel economy savings doesn't work out to be that substantial. Beyond that, I can change the oil in a v10 for about $30 max. In my diesel, using name brand oil, only motocraft filters (the generics don't fit right) and changing fuel filters every other change, my average oil cost is around $80-90.

When you add it all up it just doesn't amount to the kind of savings I initially thought it would. While towing I usually average 14 mph and the v10's from what I've heard would be into the single digits, so if you towed a lot you would definitely enjoy the better towing mpg. The power is good, but if you try to take steep hills without reducing speed it quickly heats up. Even in my '04, the modern diesels have so much power that the cooling system is the restriction. Beyond that? a turbo failure is an expensive proposition. My diesel has a ton of expensive parts just waiting to go wrong over a v10: fuel injector control module, turbocharger, intercooler, oil cooler, EGR cooler, etc. Modern diesels are far far far more complex than older ones. More complex even than modern gas engines (and the parts usually much more expensive).

Summary: while mpgs may indeed be better, the actual costs of diesel vs gas, the maintenance, and additional repair costs may not necessarily work out in your favor in the long run, particularly when added to the premium for the diesel powerplant!!!

andrave
andrave HalfDork
11/29/12 12:57 p.m.
Ian F wrote: A good number of VW diesel owners love diesels but only drive a VW because there's no other option.

I HATE VW's and I've contemplated driving one for this reason. lol. I know a lot of guys that just love diesel and drive a dodge cummins or ford powerstroke as their work truck and drive a jetta every day because its the only diesel car. these are mostly hardcore rednecks that hate all german cars, generally speaking.

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
11/29/12 1:38 p.m.

Looks like those of you going to the Rolex 24 will see them: News.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p4G71D92a4am3whn9k9CJ1bVg8qVhZ79FMYUElr221H3gx7KSLjZJTjnAYSkRwlA