aeronca65t
aeronca65t New Reader
6/13/08 4:51 a.m.

Cool diesel bike.....

Here's the ~Full Article in The NY Times~

Here's part of the text:

The HDT M103M1 uses the chassis, a few engine components and all the internal transmission parts of the Kawasaki KLR650, a workhorse capable of anything from daily commuting to Sahara exploring. But the Marine machine’s major engine components are all new, built for diesel service.

On a half-hour test ride, the M103M1, though sluggish at first, gathered speed with dogged insistence. The footpegs and handlebars buzz as the engine revs — the counterbalancer that controls vibration in the stock KLR has been omitted to save weight and reduce complexity. Shifting through the five-speed gearbox gets the M103M1 past 90 miles an hour, a speed it will hold, apparently, until the end of time. One of the great advantages of the M103M1’s diesel engine is its efficiency. At a steady 55 m.p.h. it gets 96 miles a gallon......

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/13/08 6:23 a.m.

needs 2 cylinders and an Hx25

Strizzo
Strizzo HalfDork
6/13/08 7:45 a.m.

a turbo spooling up is just what you need mid-corner looks like they're planning on releasing a commercial version once production requirements slow down for the military

also - 0-60: 10.2 sec

edit: http://www.hdtusa.com/

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/13/08 7:48 a.m.

single cylinders and trubos don't work well anyways..

and as a diesel it would be tuned to be making boost most of the time, no real on off lightswitch...

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/13/08 8:04 a.m.

I bet it would be a great off-road cycle baring weight. It would chug up hills.

Does it have a kickstart?

That would be a sick engineering joke...

therex
therex Dork
6/13/08 8:47 a.m.

This thing has been chugging around the internet for what, 5 years now? :( I wish they'd release a version to the public already, it's pretty much the perfect Zombie Apocalypse vehicle.

Or really, you know what? Just sell me an engine kit. I can guy a KLR650 myself.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
6/13/08 9:51 a.m.

I want one...

I really want one.

carzan
carzan New Reader
6/13/08 10:35 a.m.

From the HDT website under news/press releases:

New Diesel Motorcycle Land Speed Records Using Biodiesel

Congratulations to Fred Hayes and Bryon Schmidt of HDT Racing USA for setting new World and National Land Speed Records for Diesel Powered Motorcycles at the International Speed Trials by BUB www.speedtrialsbybub.com.

Fred set new records of 110.434 for the kilometer and 110.433 for the mile. Fred’s motorcycle was powered by a production MD670 Diesel Motorcycle Engine with turbo charger. Fred also holds five additional World Land Speed Records for Diesel Motorcycles that he set in 2005

Bryon set new records of 103.401 for the kilometer and 103.322 for the mile. Bryon’s motorcycle was powered by a production MD670 Diesel Motorcycle Engine that was normally aspirated. The previous record was held by Fred Hayes of HDT Racing USA, which he set in 2005.

Official results are available at: www.amadirectlink.com/amrace/2007/speed/index.asp

Raze
Raze New Reader
6/13/08 11:00 a.m.
carzan wrote: Fred set new records of 110.434 for the kilometer and 110.433 for the mile. Fred’s motorcycle was powered by a production MD670 Diesel Motorcycle Engine with turbo charger. Fred also holds five additional World Land Speed Records for Diesel Motorcycles that he set in 2005 Bryon set new records of 103.401 for the kilometer and 103.322 for the mile. Bryon’s motorcycle was powered by a production MD670 Diesel Motorcycle Engine that was normally aspirated.

I bet both still got 40-50mpg at those speeds :)

Dan G
Dan G Dork
6/13/08 1:03 p.m.

I saw the only civilian prototype (street driven) version of that diesel bike in person on Tuesday night at an SAE function. It sounded sweet! The non-turbo makes 25hp and gets ~100mpg at highway speeds.

Unfortunately they estimate a conversion would be in the neighborhood of $20k.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
6/13/08 2:32 p.m.

Is there nothing along the lines of a diesel bike (not necessarily this one) in the works that would be available on the retail market sometime in the next 5 years?

If not...why?

Bazilloin dollar concept there. I'm just sayin'...that's all.

Clem

Strizzo
Strizzo HalfDork
6/13/08 3:08 p.m.

right now they're already selling every one they can make to the gov't, without the hassles and overhead of a dealer network, warranty, service, etc.

problemaddict
problemaddict New Reader
6/14/08 4:38 a.m.
Dan G wrote: Unfortunately they estimate a conversion would be in the neighborhood of $20k.

Build your own for 10% of that figure:

www.dieselbike.net

Royal Einfeld diesel:

http://www.dieselbike.net/AndrewsRoyalEnfield/AndrewsRoyalEnfield.htm

I have a strong urge to do this with the CB650 i just got for $50, but i've got way to many projects...

grtechguy
grtechguy SuperDork
6/15/08 9:09 a.m.

I'd love a diesel bike for commuting. I'm happy with the 50mpg I get with the EX500... but 150mpg sounds even better.

porksboy
porksboy HalfDork
6/15/08 7:07 p.m.

grtechguy, I still have an 89 EX500 that is the only vehicle I ever bought new. I have been thinking of freshining it up and putting it to work for my 60 a day comute. What is the market like for parts? Fork seals, service parts (filters etc) chain, sprockets etc?

problemaddict
problemaddict New Reader
6/15/08 11:48 p.m.

BikeBandit.com has the entire parts list for kawasakis. You could pretty much build an EX500 from scratch w/ OEM parts, if you had the inclination:

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/kawasaki-motorcycle-ex500-ex500a3-us-1989/o/m3409

The EX500 aftermarket is huge as well, as its a popular track-bike....

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
6/16/08 6:48 a.m.

Cycle World did a story on that a few months ago. For off road use I guess there's a lag between throttle and response, but you get used to it.

Dan

grtechguy
grtechguy SuperDork
6/16/08 9:22 a.m.

EX500 is a Ninja... huge aftermarket. My local shop can get anything for it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6cHJQXnEROHH4hpHIy4ufEFtplEcSIGXimCWZp0JtHJfi6XYxrbH3ec4pgvrAXgf