1 2 3
curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/25/11 6:05 p.m.

edit: weird double post thing going on.

curtis73
1/25/11 6:15 p.m.
Okay. All the plenum sizing effort and intake and header length work everyone does is not right according to you. I can't argue with you. You are way smarter then me.

You are absolutely correct about optimum tuning for all flowpaths, but you must not have been following the conversation... we are talking about apples-to-apples comparisons where HP is a fixed variable. In the perview of this conversation, we are assuming "all things being equal." That is to say that in a hypothetical engine comparison where all things are equal, we are assuming that the intake and exhaust tuning has magically taken place and they are not a factor in the changes to the power production. Instead of outlining that engine A has 8.443" runners of 177cc and engine B has 8.202" runners with a volume of 173cc... its just assumed that the work has magically occurred for us.

Of course, that isn't what happens in real life, but we are discussing the changes of compression on VE, not how we need to alter the engines in order to make it a fair comparison.

But I fully agree with you RE: intake and exhaust tuning.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar HalfDork
1/25/11 7:59 p.m.
A bunch of sharp guys wrote a bunch of technical things...

Meanwhile the original poster probably tuned out a while ago and has since scored a deal on a strong running 350 for less than that farmer's 327.

curtis73
1/25/11 8:19 p.m.

hehehe... yeah, Rob we kinda got off the beaten path, didn't we ?

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
1/25/11 9:37 p.m.
curtis73 wrote:
Okay. All the plenum sizing effort and intake and header length work everyone does is not right according to you. I can't argue with you. You are way smarter then me.
You are absolutely correct about optimum tuning for all flowpaths, but you must not have been following the conversation...

Actually, if you pulled your head out, you would note that my comments are based on the comment that 2 identical engines with only the cubic inch being varied will not make the same power (at different rpm's) because the cam timing, intake and exhaust systems are not matched to the engine size(s). Reread page 1. The TBI intake is a low rpm manifold for a 350, and would be worse on a smaller engine...not connected until comments added on page 2.

curtis73 wrote:
Of course, that isn't what happens in real life, but we are discussing the changes of compression on VE, not how we need to alter the engines in order to make it a fair comparison.

The second part of what I said has to do with the fact that I don't see guys racing desk top dyno's. Rather the guys that I see race real cars with real engines. The desktop stuff is neat, but does not match reality. It show tendancies and gives general points that can be recognized - some programs actually are adjusted to match some emperical data...wow...neat tool. But it does not account for valve seat angles, clearances, windage, ring seal, frictional losses, jetting, timing, air quality, air cleaners, scoops, exhausts...it goes on....but that would be where the real engines and real cars comment comes from...not the endless quacking about desktop dyno racing and dyno sheet racing.

The CR ratio issue I raise has to with needing to raise CR with rpm, and 'HP IS A FIXED VARIABLE' (your words) does not happen unless you taylor the package to the size and operating range to what is being built. BTW, in reality it would be similar not identical. I don't bother with desk top horses, only real cars. Before accusing someone of not paying attention to a thread, you should note that there were more than one subjects being addressed. Don't assume I agree with the other posters, although I would not state that they don't know what they know. Especially people with known credentials. Furthermore, don't assume I don't agree with what you're saying. As a matter of fact, I agree with the higher ratio benefits. Regardless, I follow real racers with real time slips and run real performance...I may listen to guys with desk top experience...if they have real credentials...you know wins, championships, records.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/25/11 10:10 p.m.

so... you guys make me motor now?

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
1/25/11 10:21 p.m.
Gimp wrote: so... you guys make me motor now?

Stop by. You're close enough. I have plenty of 350s, but I am holding onto the short stroke cranks.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/26/11 8:17 a.m.
wheels777 wrote:
Stop by. You're close enough. I have plenty of 350s, but I am holding onto the short stroke cranks.

I appreciate the offer and I have been meaning to contact you about contracting some of your services. I'll be in touch post-wedding.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/26/11 2:16 p.m.
wheels777 wrote:

that's what she said

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
essKAlpoifTjImie1GOb6zJ5KP835DksWgZDVraU39GcFAuJYP6uu3t7F2EcQSRA