1 2 3
nervousdog
nervousdog HalfDork
6/17/13 10:42 a.m.

I'm in the early stages of shopping for a new car. I'm looking at several cars so be prepared for more threads.

When I was growing up the base Mustang was a gutless poser-mobile. Jump to 2013 and the V6 'Stang has 300+ HP and a quarter mile time under 14 seconds. My logical self says that's plenty for a DD / occasional AutoX* but I'm having a hard time convincing myself to NOT get the GT and its accompanying V8 rumble. The GT will stretch the budget to the limit but I don't want to spend 80% of the money and feel like I settled.

Help me GRM!

*I no longer want to put in the time/money involved to be a class champ, BTDT. Any future autoxing will be purely for hoonage.

Update: I am looking at the same option packages for both engines. Also, I've considered a used 05-10 GT and while that would get me the V8 I would also have the same power levels as the current V6.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
6/17/13 10:43 a.m.

The ONLY thing wrong with a V6 Mustang is the fact that there is a V8. It's a great car, but there's always the "coulda-woulda-shoulda" factor.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
6/17/13 10:51 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: The ONLY thing wrong with a V6 Mustang is the fact that there is a V8. It's a great car, but there's always the "coulda-woulda-shoulda" factor.

This. Personally if I was in the ponycar market, I'd wait to see what happens with the SVO cars. Those are causing me to look REALLY hard at american RWD cars again.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
6/17/13 10:52 a.m.

I agree with Dave, and opt for the GT.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
6/17/13 11:00 a.m.

Depends. In stretching your budget to get the GT, are you giving up option packages you would have bought with the V6? If so, I'd probably go with the V6, since it is going to be your daily driver. If you aren't giving up anything (other than the fact it'll be more expensive), the GT would be worth considering.

However, from a woulda/coulda/shoulda standpoint, remember there is always something better. Could have tried to get a Boss 302, GT500, etc...

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
6/17/13 11:03 a.m.

Go for the GT, it's a monster. I loved mine, but DD'ing was taking too much money away from the Miata and going to the track.

I'd skip the Track Pack (unless you plan on doing HPDE, the Torsen is a better unit) but the 3.73s are a bit short without the extra RPM like the BOSS 302 engine.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
6/17/13 11:05 a.m.

Recently mulled a '11 Challenger 3.6L V6 w/ 305hp and 27 mpg hwy as a DD. Really nice car but at the end of the day it's still a V6. I think I would have regretted that after a while. So, back to looking for '05-'09 Mustang GTs. YMMV

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
6/17/13 11:23 a.m.

The correct answer if this is a responsible DD is the V6. There is noting legal that the car won't do for you and enough illegal to keep you in fines.

However, as we all know, the responsible choice is not always the right choice

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
6/17/13 12:03 p.m.

I'm a big fan of the 05-10 GT, but I may be biased. I think my 05 GT is as light as the current V6, about the same power (sigh), but you get the V8 sound and you could spend the price difference on go fast(er) parts and autox entries.

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
6/17/13 12:05 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

I'll take both.....

V6 + the either the track pack or gt suspension/brembos + the 19's is a great way to go. Sure you don't get the v8 roar, but you get a techno quasi street bike sounding v6. The only true downside is the resale gap in the future.

It might be worth waiting until the 2015 model unveiling at this point though

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
6/17/13 12:11 p.m.

Are you a middle-aged real estate agent named "Babs"?

No?

Then you need the V8 Mustang.

nervousdog
nervousdog HalfDork
6/17/13 8:23 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to NOHOME: It might be worth waiting until the 2015 model unveiling at this point though

Between the spy shots, renderings, and SVO rumors I have considered waiting. But right now Ford is throwing cash + 0% financing at the 2013's and there is still a pretty good selection.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab HalfDork
6/17/13 8:26 p.m.

I'd rock one without any shame, but I don't really care about compensating or impressing the Bubbas.

If you like it, go for it. They're pretty awesome even with "just" a V6.

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
6/17/13 9:57 p.m.

In reply to Racer1ab:

The ones with the gt suspension and brembos are actually pretty good dual purpose cars. Didn't one of the car rags prove the v6 was faster around a track than many cars you wouldn't expect it to be?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
6/17/13 10:00 p.m.

How about a 2015 SVO?

alex
alex UberDork
6/17/13 10:10 p.m.
nervousdog wrote: But right now Ford is throwing cash + 0% financing at the 2013's and there is still a pretty good selection.

You don't say? My lady's been shopping for a new DD, so this could be pretty enticing.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
6/17/13 10:12 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to Racer1ab: The ones with the gt suspension and brembos are actually pretty good dual purpose cars. Didn't one of the car rags prove the v6 was faster around a track than many cars you wouldn't expect it to be?

Probably. And the new Coyote cars match a new M3 around a circuit.

Add a reasonable suspension like Steeda springs, Koni Yellows and some Whiteline sways, some sticky wide 18s and you'd have a comfortable, incredibly fast and capable dual-duty car.

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
6/17/13 10:32 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac: IIRC it was around VIR, and they noted the v6 was on the speed limiter for a decent amount of a straightaway.......

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
6/18/13 12:00 a.m.

I'd go V6 with the recaros, gt suspension, etc. In the past I would have made fun of someone but after destroying people at the autox with a car with less than 200hp and no torque, I realize power isn't everything. Plus with the new V6 you get great gas mileage compared to the 4.6L with similar power and not so great mpgs...Re-sale will suck but it's a Mustang, just like the Honda I posted last night, you will get phone calls and e-mails left and right.

kanaric
kanaric Reader
6/18/13 1:26 a.m.

I almost feel that if i'm going to buy a V6 mustang why don't I just buy a Rspec Genesis or a 370z?

Can't you get a GT for not that much more at all?

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
6/18/13 2:48 a.m.

I see no shame in the V6. However, I see better resale value on the V8.

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
6/18/13 3:46 a.m.

did they put a tube to carry noise from the air inlet to the inside of the cabin in the V6 cars like they did on the V8 cars?

i guess i'm not going anywhere with this, but it's kind of lame that they put a fire breathing V8 into the thing then they have to pipe noise into the interior because they sealed the cabin up too well.. that, and the fake sidepipe things they have on the Boss Mustangs...

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
6/18/13 7:17 a.m.
kanaric wrote: I almost feel that if i'm going to buy a V6 mustang why don't I just buy a Rspec Genesis or a 370z? Can't you get a GT for not that much more at all?

Because a 370Z base price is HIGHER than the GT Mustang base price.

You're comparing a $25k car to a $34k car.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
6/18/13 7:42 a.m.
z31maniac wrote:
kanaric wrote: I almost feel that if i'm going to buy a V6 mustang why don't I just buy a Rspec Genesis or a 370z? Can't you get a GT for not that much more at all?
Because a 370Z base price is HIGHER than the GT Mustang base price. You're comparing a $25k car to a $34k car.

And because insuring a 370Z costs roughly the same as another car payment.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
6/18/13 7:46 a.m.
novaderrik wrote: did they put a tube to carry noise from the air inlet to the inside of the cabin in the V6 cars like they did on the V8 cars? i guess i'm not going anywhere with this, but it's kind of lame that they put a fire breathing V8 into the thing then they have to pipe noise into the interior because they sealed the cabin up too well.. that, and the fake sidepipe things they have on the Boss Mustangs...

All car manufacturers do things to tailor the sound of their cars, this is just one way to do it. And the side pipes on the Boss are functional, and designed so that owners can easily add cutouts for track use, or remove the attenuation discs for more side exhaust flow.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rfJTstGNHltbRPVwL0iEJ0fhjdShWzkSJbcXfm6S7PxwNuPUaIGSTuBQHFczdc6l