1 2
b13990
b13990 Reader
9/29/19 8:15 p.m.

There is a sort of misery that must be familiar right now to the man who just bought a 2019 Corvette (especially if he financed it), and to the dealer trying to unload one (who almost certainly is financing it).

On paper, Chevrolet is trying to keep the MSRPs of the new vehicles in line with those of the old. I'm sure they'd like for Corvette purchases to loyally trudge to the dealership and buy the new mid-engine car.

But I'm also wondering if there's another side to this. Many Corvette buyers are probably people who've always viewed buying a brand new Corvette as the culmination of a lot of hard work. They probably didn't do a lot of research or cross-shopping.

These people have a certain mental picture of the mighty Corvette. And now this:

"Wow, a Vette! Is that the one with the engine in the back?"

"Sigh- no..."

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
9/29/19 8:30 p.m.

I can only HOPE this buyer would have been knowledgeable enough to know the change was coming. Maybe many actually wanted the last of the “old-fashioned” ones?

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
9/29/19 8:38 p.m.

In reply to b13990 :

improvements to the mark are designed to create a real need to purchase the better version. Imagine In 1961 having freshly purchased a Jaguar XK 150 S  only to have the XKE arrive a few months later. Or a 1964 Corvette only to have the 1965 with 4 wheel disk brakes instead of your drum Brakes.  

The last year of the C3 Corvette to have the arrival of the C4 etc.  so there are bargains to be had in used, until market forces drive values back up.  

Life goes on, enjoy the ride.  

Some owners will want the improved version so much they will quickly dump the old for the new driving down trade in values.  

b13990
b13990 Reader
9/29/19 9:00 p.m.

Eh, if no one else sees it then that's fine. It was a question.

But I can tell you that, although "this person" never wanted a Corvette, "he" has been through it with other models. One keeps buying cars, but not that model.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
9/29/19 9:12 p.m.

I like the old Nissan Z cars and I feel the 2020 base model is a decent car for $30,000.  I would like to do a lot of traveling and I'm comfortable with a newer car even though an old car would be sweet.  
If I pay off my truck I may start saving for a 370Z but there is in the back of my mind that Nissan is going to bring out a lighter 240Z right after I buy that 370Z. 

Yeah, right.  

jamscal
jamscal Dork
9/29/19 9:46 p.m.

When I worked for Ford a coworker bought a 96 F-150 on purpose...probably a good choice.

Same era, buying a 95 Mustang was a better choice than the 96.

I was at a track day a few weeks ago and a guy had a new leased corvette he was beating on....

he wasn't worried about nuthin :)  I'm sure he'll be leasing a 2021.

A good thread spinoff might be cars that are better than the new generation that replaced them.

1985 Rx-7> 1986 Rx-7  

1999 Eclipse > 2000 Eclipse

b13990
b13990 Reader
9/29/19 9:50 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

You know, now I'm thinking this is kind of an American thing. I don't think the "Z" cars, or the WRX, or the RX-whatevers, have exhibited the same kind of lumpiness you see between different generations of Corvette or Mustang. Each generation of the "Z" has had its strength and weaknesses. Whatever Nissan came out with, there was always *something* to recommend the previous generation.

Maybe that's true of the Vette. I hadn't considered it, but frenchyd suggested it. Maybe there's some guy out there who's sincerely glad he's got the last front-engine Vette.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
9/29/19 10:17 p.m.

Let's be honest, the whole "worrying about people asking where the engine is" is overblown. If Corvette owners are anything like people who own any other kind of car, most of their friends don't know the difference between a Corvette and a Camaro. You can get a 4-cylinder turbo Mustang now, and to 99.5% of the populace, it looks just like a V8 Mustang. Hell, I get people asking me if my Porsche 924 is "some kind of Miata." The general public is clueless about cars. It's either a cookie-cutter crossover SUV, or it's "whatever car I happen to know for some reason that looks kinda like what you're driving, so that must be what you have..." lol. 

Side note: if you're buying a car because of what other people think, you're doing it wrong........

There's always a better model out there. May be right after you buy your car, might be a few years later. Rarely do you get a car and then the next generation of it sucks (though, it does happen..)

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
9/29/19 10:23 p.m.

I’d bet there are a bunch of people that are glad they got the 7.3 Superduty instead of the next year 6.0. I think it’s also one of the few times you can have the same year be the end and beginning, 2003 has 7.3 AND 6.0 depending on when it was built. 

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
9/30/19 6:53 a.m.

The rule of thumb in my family has always been to never get the first model year of any generation of vehicle.   Let them figure out what they messed up with the design and production techniques before buying what could be a warrantee nightmare.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
9/30/19 7:11 a.m.

If you want a manual Corvette, there are great deals on the last of them right now.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
9/30/19 7:27 a.m.

With the Corvette in particular it may be about how the market is changing.  I see some boomers being opposed to the C8, but the fact is they are now a shrinking part of the market.  Gen-Xers grew up with posters of mid and rear engined exotics on their walls, so they are not likely to be as biased against a mid engine Corvette.  

For another relatively recent example, the first gen to second gen transition of the Scion xB.  It went from a small, extremely practical hatchback, to something of a bloatmobile, with more power, more weight, and little to no more cargo capacity.  Although, I understand at least part of that was the first gen was not gong to pass more strict crash standards.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/30/19 7:39 a.m.
irish44j said:

Side note: if you're buying a car because of what other people think, you're doing it wrong........

Reposting the important part of getting anything.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/30/19 7:51 a.m.

Does newer make it better?  I wonder how that all looked in early 1968?

1967 Vette

1968 Vette:

Also know that you can buy a C8 today but you can also likely buy a C8 for the next 4-10 years.  If you want a NEW C7, you need to buy it now.  

My guess is that 1967 is worth 4 times as much as the 1968 on todays market.  Some of this is because you could still buy the C3 until 1977 or 1982

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/30/19 8:03 a.m.

For some people, yes. Not for me, and I have a hard time understanding the mentality, but I know that it's real and not easily dismissed.

Side story, I worked as a co-op when this company was changing to RFID badges and the picture and logo was also changing. Everyone knew that it would work way better if oriented 90 degrees to its original configuration.

"can't do that now, too many changes at once"

I was flabbergasted. It's a thing, and you need to be aware of it as a manager of people, or even an interactor of people. Same thing about rearranging cubicles. You can wreck peoples worlds about seemingly trivial stuff. I'm thinking "does the badge still get me into the building? fine" or "Does the check still come to my address? Fine.", but not everyones mind works that way.

It makes progress pretty hard.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/30/19 8:28 a.m.

I think corvette fans are rabid enough that they see the evolution, not the revolution.

I don't think they're ticked that it's mid engined, I think they might be kicking themselves for buying a 2018 and now wishing they had held out.  I don't think they'll blame Bowling Green, they'll blame themselves and start saving nickels.

Not to mention, in 20 years the front-engined cars will be classics.  I can see the CL ads now... "last year of the front engine classic"

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/30/19 8:34 a.m.

I think they are OK with it.

My neighbor, he is in his late 50s, just put a deposit for a C8 a couple of weeks ago. He’s had a couple Corvettes before this one, and he is all exited about the mid engine car. 

This guy has, at the moment, quite a few cool cars; Audi R8 V10, BMW i8, Jaguar F-type R, MB SL55, Bentley Convertible ... he cant wait to get the new Vette. Obviously he is a car enthusiast. 

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
9/30/19 9:41 a.m.

I think any performance or luxury oriented market deals with this.

Buy '97 4th gen Trans Am/Camaro with an LT1 to only see the '98 4th gen get the LS1.

Buy an '04 GTO with the LS1, flat hood, and single exhaust to see the '05 get the LS2, hood scoops, and dual exhaust.

Buy any BMW to only see a year or two later that they do an upgrade to the chassis, body, lights, etc.

If you're constantly waiting to make sure you don't get shafted, you're gonna feel shafted no matter what. I say buy what you want, when you want. Bright side is that the majority of people you come across won't be none the wiser.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
9/30/19 9:58 a.m.
jamscal said:

A good thread spinoff might be cars that are better than the new generation that replaced them.

1985 Rx-7> 1986 Rx-7  

1999 Eclipse > 2000 Eclipse

2001 Acura Integra > 2002 Acura RSX 

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
9/30/19 10:27 a.m.

If there's one thing in my time as a project manager I learned it's that people hate change. It doesn't matter how minor the change is, it's different so they don't like it off the bat.

The moment you kill that scared cow, and come to the realization you can eat the tasty beef hidden inside, your outlook on how things are done changes. It's just taking that first step.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/30/19 10:43 a.m.

Hey, if they just want a powerful rear wheel drive Chevy, they can just by a Camaro....

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
9/30/19 12:41 p.m.
irish44j said:

... If Corvette owners are anything like people who own any other kind of car, most of their friends don't know the difference between a Corvette and a Camaro. You can get a 4-cylinder turbo Mustang now, and to 99.5% of the populace, it looks just like a V8 Mustang. Hell, I get people asking me if my Porsche 924 is "some kind of Miata." The general public is clueless about cars. ...

When the S2000 first came out, I purposely asked a new owner "Hey, is that a new Miata?", knowing full well that he paid a lot more. That was just for amusement to see how he reacted; I'm sure he figured that I was clueless about not appreciating his superior choice.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/30/19 5:22 p.m.

SRT4 Neon>SRT4 Caliber.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
9/30/19 6:07 p.m.

Hey at least with new generations of Subaru's you always knew you were getting the same lump to power it. It looks like this maybe the last generation with the old EJ however. 

Honda made the move for the Si and CTR from high revving, low torque, hearing VTEC coming from a mile away engines to turbo powah and you don't hear many Honda fanbois up in arms. The move to the K24Z7 in the 9th gen Si was more of a blow than going to the turbo mill. 

Like other posters have stated, manufactures need to include incremental updates year to year, mid-cycle refreshes, etc to keep consumers coming back. I know Honda is terrible with things like this. 2017-2018 Civics didn't have a volume knob, 2019 Civic got a volume knob and they made a huge deal about it. 2020 Civic is getting new bumpers, headlights, and wheel options for the mid-cycle refresh. The Si gets a shorter final drive.

I think making a drastic change is the same thing just on an exponential level. GM may drive away some of the boomer consumers; but, they'll real in those low six figure millennials who don't want to drop the coin on a NSX or R8 but still want to stand out from his peers with an M4 or C63. 

They also have the Front Engine, Rear Wheel Drive, Manual optioned Camaro on the lots if that's what someone really wants. 

Honda please bring back an S2000. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/1/19 11:51 p.m.

In reply to Cooter :

Old pilot adage : Never fly the A model of anything. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0r4XbD1sVGaO5GgG1AtR8vBDOCg5nuFQtvNii5H0TMzCvCjZAENx1BdA9oX7XQdh