1 2
JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/29/24 11:48 a.m.
feature_image

Even when we first waded into this 2015 BMW 435i project, we warned you that we may encounter some genetic challenges, particularly with track use of its N55 engine.

The N55–BMW’s replacement and evolution of the turbocharged N54 3.0-liter inline-six–is regarded as a sporty, torquey engine, but it also has a bit of a reputation–as many recent BMW inline sixes …

Read the rest of the story

JG Pasterjak
7/29/24 11:55 a.m.

Greetings from inside our bottom end. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/29/24 11:59 a.m.

So I guess you made it to BimmerWorld safe and sound. 

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/29/24 11:59 a.m.

Is the car getting a new oil pan? Looks like a 11137854463 Oil Pan is the likely factory answer.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/29/24 12:10 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

Greetings from inside our bottom end. 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/29/24 12:13 p.m.

“30 psi itself doesn’t particularly scare me,” said BimmerWorld’s James Clay, a guy who probably has a pile of lightly used N55s out behind his shop. “

I lol'd. Good luck with the repairs! Curious to know what OEM parts will fix the issue, yet were not included in the original design.

JG Pasterjak
7/29/24 12:15 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

So I guess you made it to BimmerWorld safe and sound. 

Nah this is at Zaxby's they're just taking forever with my wings and I got bored.

JG Pasterjak
7/29/24 12:26 p.m.

The root of the problem, illustrated:

This is the stock pan and the combination windage tray/pickup tube. That tube sits down in the low part of the pan—which is in the rear of the pan—and sucks oil up through the molded-in passageways to the oil pump. But even here you can see the problem: There's almost nothing to keep the oil in the back of the pan during hard deceleration.

JG Pasterjak
7/29/24 1:17 p.m.

#2 rod bearing has a bit of scoring (oh yeah, we're doing bearings, too, since we're in there...) but overall they look decent. 

David S. Wallens
7/29/24 1:18 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

While you’re there, can you grab me a No. 2 with a Dr. Pepper? 

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
7/29/24 2:00 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Is that a No. 2 chicken, or a No. 2 rod bearing ??? And, do they both go well with a Dr. Pepper ??

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/29/24 2:07 p.m.

Also, don't forget about the awesome problem with that engine. OFHG leaks, belt tensioner fails, and it's possible for the belt to get sucked past the front main seal and into the bottom end. 

After the experience with my '13 135i (also an N55) I'll never own a modern BMW again. And I didn't track mine and only put 6k miles on it in 18 months. 

JG Pasterjak
7/29/24 2:08 p.m.

I swear to god this car is the grand world champion of "while we're in here" stuff. Just spotted these gooched-out trailing arm bushings. To the Powerflex warehouse!

Driven5
Driven5 PowerDork
7/29/24 2:09 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
It’s a simple fix, but not exactly an easy fix...

This describes BMW ownership so perfectly.

Somebody forgot that 'the ultimate driving machine' can brake harder than it can accelerate. Oops. LOL

David S. Wallens
7/29/24 2:10 p.m.
300zxfreak said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Is that a No. 2 chicken, or a No. 2 rod bearing ??? And, do they both go well with a Dr. Pepper ??

First one, then the other? 

David S. Wallens
7/29/24 2:11 p.m.

There’s a bit of Powerflex goodness in my M3. 

JG Pasterjak
7/29/24 2:29 p.m.
z31maniac said:

Also, don't forget about the awesome problem with that engine. OFHG leaks, belt tensioner fails, and it's possible for the belt to get sucked past the front main seal and into the bottom end. 

After the experience with my '13 135i (also an N55) I'll never own a modern BMW again. And I didn't track mine and only put 6k miles on it in 18 months. 

Dude where you been this was like 3.5 nightmares ago 🤣

JG Pasterjak
7/29/24 2:32 p.m.

The good news is we got oil pressure for days now. Retrofitted S55 oil system featuring secondary scavenger pump with two additional pickups and a deep, baffled pan. 
bolts right on 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/29/24 2:45 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
z31maniac said:

Dude where you been this was like 3.5 nightmares ago 🤣

I ditched mine back in June 2019. After multiple oil leaks, reprogramming the DCT, a new battery, etc. I said berkeley it. 

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
7/29/24 2:47 p.m.

Do you know if that would fit an XDrive vehicle? I like that for when I'm doing dirty things to my wife's X3.

JG Pasterjak
7/29/24 2:59 p.m.
jgrewe said:

Do you know if that would fit an XDrive vehicle? I like that for when I'm doing dirty things to my wife's X3.

The X drive cars already have a similar system because of that inverted U shaped oil pan. Hoon away. 

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/29/24 3:02 p.m.

Splish, splash your wallet is taking a bath.  Oil bath that is.

But it is cheaper than an engine.

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
7/29/24 3:05 p.m.

Maybe the sedans have that, I've been elbows deep in my N55 and it doesn't have it.

JG Pasterjak
7/29/24 3:07 p.m.

In reply to jgrewe :

Well, the pan is way better, anyway. It's got the deep rear well from the axle pass-thru, so xdrive N55s aren't regarded as quite the ticking timebombs as the sedan ones. Use case could have a lot to do with this as well. 

JG Pasterjak
7/29/24 3:07 p.m.

In reply to jgrewe :

Well, the pan is way better, anyway. It's got the deep rear well from the axle pass-thru, so xdrive N55s aren't regarded as quite the ticking timebombs as the sedan ones. Use case could have a lot to do with this as well. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OnqGhXF8cfxzVhFWGR2T3IzECw3ee2DHxsyuh61k94hfxKaGeajYAGaDkQH1PPvU