Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
11/1/23 12:52 p.m.
feature_image

Our Volkswagen GTI has gone the distance–both on the highway and on track–and its front end was starting to show it. With miles come rock chips, and sadly the car now had a few on the bumper and hood.

Fortunately, there’s a way to prevent them: paint protection film. Also commonly called PPF or a clear bra, it’s basically a …

Read the rest of the story

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/1/23 1:23 p.m.

I did my Cayman a couple days after I bought it. I wish I did all of the painted surfaces since I got a chip on my roof driving across country.

I did all of the front clip including headlights, the fronts of the side mirrors, inside the door handles for nail scrapes, and the front and rear of the rear wheel wells for rocks and cones.

Billbagley
Billbagley New Reader
11/1/23 5:12 p.m.

Experience through 3 Motor Homes,   3 M &   ??? Forgot the brand  "CLEAR BRA"

1.   A 36 ft  2003 after a TTL of about 70,000 miles crazing & cracking 2011.  Cost of a clean up close to double a touch up paint job as the stuff had to scraped & sanded off.

2.  Brand new,   2011 44ft Newmar, factory installed, about 60,000 miles crazing started fewchips were into the paint BUT U could not peel it of, have to do a sand/repaint to get to pristine.  Sold it as is 2018 next guy said OK..

3. 99 Foretravel,  in 2019, Local knowledge said we can put it on but, it is polished painted cheaper to re paint the front end every? Yrs than double the price, to get that "S [stuff] removed every 10 .  As it has about ? 30, 000 miles I guess on the front end paint job, we have put about 15, 0n it, carefully clean/wax the front.   It gets good compliments

Bottom line my opinion,  long haul not worth the $$$,  get it touched up. 

Now the Foretravel is on the market, Next a MIATA, or Something with 3 Peddles. White, or some easy match,  no "wrap".

Just my 2 bit opinion, have fun, 

FastedHHRSS
FastedHHRSS New Reader
11/2/23 1:36 p.m.

I have 22,322 miles on my 2022 C8 Corvette with about 50 car washes, lots of track time.  Not a mark on the front. One small chip in the windshield from a piece of broke cement flying out of a dump truck.  I think it would have penetrated your stuff if it hit the hood, it was big.   

So I don't think you have proved anything yet.  Try just half a coating and compare each side.

dangerdad65
dangerdad65
11/3/23 2:05 p.m.

Soooo, we didn't want the metal to rust, so we applied paint.  Then we wanted the paint to last so we applied clear coat.  Now we don't want the clear coat to chip so we're applying plastic wrap.  What will protect the plastic wrap? 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/3/23 2:40 p.m.
dangerdad65 said:

Soooo, we didn't want the metal to rust, so we applied paint.  Then we wanted the paint to last so we applied clear coat.  Now we don't want the clear coat to chip so we're applying plastic wrap.  What will protect the plastic wrap? 

What cars in the last 110 years were sold without paint? Yes, the DeLorean, but other than that?

Really negative tone to things around here lately. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
11/3/23 4:25 p.m.

As a guy who gets the bills to replace this stuff after a collision...sheesh, I think I'd just rock on without it and repaint when the time comes. Seems like a lot of expense to protect something for the next owner.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
11/3/23 4:36 p.m.

I've read a little about clear protective film that can be put on windshields, but don't know how much it costs or whether it works.  That's my biggest concern - not so much for actual big chips, but for the eventual sandblasting windshields get over time that makes it hard to see when driving into the sun.

jerel77494
jerel77494 New Reader
3/12/24 8:30 a.m.

In reply to dangerdad65 :

Bubble wrap!

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
3/12/24 9:30 a.m.

Molded silicone mask.  Slap it on, drive, peel it off and throw it in the trunk.  It's my new invention.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/12/24 10:19 a.m.
stuart in mn said:

I've read a little about clear protective film that can be put on windshields, but don't know how much it costs or whether it works.  That's my biggest concern - not so much for actual big chips, but for the eventual sandblasting windshields get over time that makes it hard to see when driving into the sun.

NASCAR-style windshield tearoffs? laugh

As much as I'm a detailing nerd who likes to protect the paint, I've never done PPF. Well, I've tried doing it myself, and I have neither the skill nor the patience to do it right. But I've never felt that strongly about it to pay someone. I guess I've also been lucky. The Expedition is 9 years old and knocking on 90k and there are still very few chips.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
3/12/24 11:09 a.m.

I live on a gravel road.

They make paint every day and it's cheap.

DavyZ
DavyZ New Reader
3/12/24 5:15 p.m.

I think this would be good on fender flares, rocker panels, and front spoiler where the most frequent chips would take place--beyond that, just repaint or touch up!  Every application will be slightly different.  I plan on using this product on the fender flares near the lower end, similar to what OEMs do on newer cars.  

bbbbRASS
bbbbRASS New Reader
3/12/24 5:33 p.m.

Wax?

outasite
outasite HalfDork
3/12/24 9:17 p.m.

Living in Minnesota we have salt/sand/small pebbles spread on highways, streets and parking lots from November-April most years. This winter was an exception. I have purchased the film on a 2013 Tacoma, 2016 CX5 and a 2024 CX5. The cost for the first 2 was under $500 for each so I assumed the cost to cover the 24 CX5 would be similar and ordered it without asking the price. To my surprise it was twice the cost. However, it does protect the covered areas very well. Now for something for the windshield as mentioned by a fellow Minnesotan above.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GDz9yB4Q88sjDQK66XdWZBmruJxBEKSv3y5THufCkBF0uziGpOSm6fuYfDoTcuzX