1 2
toconn
toconn New Reader
9/23/24 6:42 p.m.

Hey gang. I'm looking for something that can do the following: 

- Manual Transmission

- AWD or 4WD (I live in a snowy mountain town)

- Can fit a full size bike inside. Front tire off is OK. I use a bike rack most of the time, but I also ride a couple days a week after work and need to be able to keep my bike locked up while I'm in the office. 

So far I'm concluding that there are no new cars available that can do this. So what's available used from the last half decade? Subaru Crosstrek? Is there anything else? A GTI / Golf R was the front runner right up until I tried to fit a bike in my friends. It doesn't fit. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/23/24 6:46 p.m.

That's a Honda Element. My XL Santa Cruz 5010 will fit inside one standing up with the tire off. I used mine specifically for the same purpose you have.  With the front tire on, I could ft it laying down but didn't lke how it laid.

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/23/24 7:13 p.m.

New Jetta with the seat folded?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/24 7:20 p.m.

In reply to glueguy (Forum Supporter) :

I'll see you one better - VW Sportwagen.

Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
9/23/24 7:34 p.m.

A VW Sportwagen or Alltrack might be the answer. Honda Element would work too but it might be hard to find one. 

Fupdiggity
Fupdiggity Reader
9/23/24 7:52 p.m.

last half decade is tough, stretching a little further there was both a 3 and 5 series wagon that would tick those boxes. Otherwise a Tacoma or Frontier w/ a shell would work and one of those can even be bought new (but not cheap), although that's a very different driving experience (good or bad, depending on what you're looking for). I think they made outback wagons with a stick through the mid 2010s or so, but again, that's a bit older.

Fupdiggity
Fupdiggity Reader
9/23/24 7:54 p.m.

and the mk7 golf (sportback mentioned above) drives well above its pay grade, just avoid the panoramic roof. They're a bit rare and holding their value extremely well, which is unsurprising given there's not much else out there in the category.

SEADave
SEADave Dork
9/23/24 7:55 p.m.

Wiki seems to indicate that the last Elements were 2011 models, hardly made in the last half decade.  

A new Bronco is available with a stick shift, and I have to imagine you could put a bike in the back of one with the rear seat down.   

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/23/24 8:08 p.m.

2004-2005 Subaru Forester XT ... with modifications.

I brought my dad along when I was cross-shopping the Evo VIII and STI in 2003. He bought himself a Forester XT. They were available with manual transmissions and had the same block as an STI of that era. Lots of folks upgraded them with OEM turbos, intercoolers, exhausts, brakes, and seats from the STI. As far as I know, the chassis is fundamentally a WRX, so there should be a million suspension options as well.

dps214
dps214 SuperDork
9/23/24 8:17 p.m.
SEADave said:

Wiki seems to indicate that the last Elements were 2011 models, hardly made in the last half decade.  

A new Bronco is available with a stick shift, and I have to imagine you could put a bike in the back of one with the rear seat down.   

Yeah bronco, or a wrangler if you hate yourself enough, are the obvious answers.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
9/23/24 8:19 p.m.

My sister in law somehow managed to special order a Forester with a stick shift a few years ago. I was very surprised such a thing existed.

No, hers is not for sale.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/23/24 8:42 p.m.

In reply to Chris Tropea :

My Sportswagen is too short for my bike. I can't fit it in where I feel comfy. New MTBs are really long. Now my gravel bike...Not a problem. It only gets you another foot over the Golf R

I actually feel other than that, It's the perfect DD. AWD, 6 speed, and no options so no leaks, etc. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/24 9:32 p.m.

One of my friends bought a final gen Focus based in part on his ability to keep his road bike in the trunk so he could go on bike rides before or after work.

My friends and I used to use an '84 Cavalier 2-door to go to and from distant trails.

Bikes are easy.  The hard part is manual trans and all wheel drive, which will be hard to find from the last half decade.  And most of those options suck.  I wouldn't wish a Fiat!Jeep on my worst enemy, for instance.  And the Wranglers are basically half ton pickups nowadays.

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
9/23/24 9:33 p.m.

Jeep JL fits your specs. Just buy a slightly used one like me and spend the savings on an ACT clutch upgrade immediately.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
9/24/24 5:50 a.m.

Focus RS has been known to fit some bikes with the front wheel off.

Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
9/24/24 7:39 a.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

Yeah, modern mountain bikes are long, my Stumpjumper wont fit in the bed of my Frontier with both wheels on. I ended up getting a tailgate pad to carry my bikes around. 

cyow5
cyow5 Reader
9/24/24 8:45 a.m.

I could actually get my 29" Stumpy into a '14 Clubman by removing the front wheel, but it was tight. 

E91 wagons can be had with manual and AWD, and the AWD versions are typically cheaper than the RWD due to rarity. Lots on BaT/C&B, too. Personally, I went RWD because it is far easier to maintain on those cars and I didn't go beyond gravel. 

Edit: missed the "half decade part", but you can still find some pretty good post-LCI E91s just past a decade

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
9/24/24 8:55 a.m.

I shopped around for a while and ended up with a Honda Element. Then, I ultimately sold it because it was just too old and I wanted a more modern daily. 

FWIW, my F-150 is the best bike hauler I've ever had, but it's not what you're looking for.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/24/24 9:33 a.m.

I was going to recommend the Audi A6, S6, RS6 Avant, but it appears they lost the manual shift at some point.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/24/24 11:10 a.m.

A number of my cycling friends have owned Elements . Some can fit their bikes inside with the front wheel on, but it depends on the bike.  The overall length of my "gravel" road bike is about 69" whereas my latest mtn bike is over 80" long from tread-to-tread.  Rear tread to fork axle length is about the same as the overall length of my road bikes. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/24/24 11:40 a.m.

Also not what you’re looking for, but I can fit my 22-inch BMX in my E46 M3 with the front wheel removed. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/24/24 12:14 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

I was going to recommend the Audi A6, S6, RS6 Avant, but it appears they lost the manual shift at some point.

That point was a long time ago.  I think the last A6/S6 manual sold in the US were the "C4" cars during the Clinton administration.  You could get a C5 allroad with a manual and the 2.7T, but the newest of those is about 20 years old.

cyow5
cyow5 Reader
9/24/24 12:29 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
1988RedT2 said:

That point was a long time ago.  I think the last A6/S6 manual sold in the US were the "C4" cars during the Clinton administration.  You could get a C5 allroad with a manual and the 2.7T, but the newest of those is about 20 years old.

Everything produced in the 2000s is five years old in my mind, haha

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/24/24 12:31 p.m.

Did they make an AWD Transit Connect with a stick?

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/24/24 3:04 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

In Europe - probably - or at least definitely with a stick.

In the US?  No to either... 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Yna4aVeoauCaEs5TtO2iR8aTAktVqRgFJhnZB4YZigsAQCVwZk5Gt2gNvfjuqESb