1 2
OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
1/20/15 6:09 p.m.

So, as of the moment, Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I'm looking to pick up a NC Miata towards the end of summer (New/used is tbd, and I don't think I'm going to pop for the 18k mi NB I referenced in another thread...).

Craigslisting around and "hey, that's a pretty low mile miotter - wait, how'd an MR2 Sypder get in to this search? Let me look at that..."

Most of the MR-S' I see listed seem higher mileage than comparable year Miatas, but, they seem awfully cheap as of the moment - how much should I consider an MR-S, especially as I'm looking to make what ever 2 seat convertible sports car my DD?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/20/15 6:11 p.m.

Drive it. Very different car from an NC.

I love love love them.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/20/15 6:21 p.m.

They're almost an Elise mini-me and if you need about zero luggage space they are great (seriously, my 1st gen Elise had a bigger boot, err, trunk).

Lots of fun to drive though, just make sure it's either not about to lunch its engine or cheap enough so it doesn't matter.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/20/15 6:45 p.m.

I had no idea they were getting that cheap.

Too bad the OEM hardtops are so expensive.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/20/15 6:50 p.m.

Extremely fun to drive. I like it a lot more than the same years miatas. A lot of room in the interior. The only thing I with they did better was the lack of trunk. Don't understand why they didn't do something like the SW20 for that. My view may be tainted because I do DD an SW20.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
1/20/15 7:34 p.m.

Driven both. Personally, I'd take the Miata. Each has their pluses and minuses in handling, etc., but the deal killer on the Spyder was shoebox sized storage space. Also, at the time I was looking, the MR2's had a substantial price premium. For equal money, it may be a closer call.

I can't imagine having to tow a trailer to autocross events for my cooler and helmets, though.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/20/15 7:43 p.m.

There's an easy modification to the frunk that gives quite a bit more room.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/15 6:58 a.m.

If you're gonna race one you need to do something different with the oiling system, they oil-starve in corners from the factory. And there are the pre-cats to take care of.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
1/21/15 8:08 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: There's an easy modification to the frunk that gives quite a bit more room.

big enough to fit a dead hooker without cutting her/him up? Stock space is tiny.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/21/15 8:46 a.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: There's an easy modification to the frunk that gives quite a bit more room.
big enough to fit a dead hooker without cutting her/him up? Stock space is tiny.

Depends on what size hooker you're into.

Honestly the car is liveable daily, and SWMBO and i would have no problems doing a week long trip in one. But, you do have to deal with two small cargo areas instead of one, so it requires some creative packing.

That said, we managed to do a 3 week trip out of an NB Miata without a gutted trunk, so maybe we're special?

Would definitely suck for a weekly grocery run, though.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/21/15 8:57 a.m.

I'd need a harbor freight trailer to go to CostCo with that.

That sweet sweet motor though. Solve the oil starvation problem and it's a serious runner.

How do they hold up to track days? Is a rollbar a difficult install?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/21/15 9:18 a.m.

Seems like a Thule rack with cargo box would solve any sort of day trip issues smaller than a spare wheel/tire making it on par with the Miata (also assuming you can rack the hardtop shell).

As far as cutting up the hooker goes... learn to love double amputee midgets and this problem solves itself.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
1/21/15 9:22 a.m.

I wanted one back in 2005, but bought my Miata instead only due to lack of storage space. Would've been a fun commuting car unless I had to stop at the store on the way home.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/21/15 10:18 a.m.

I know about the Frunk mod. Loading a week of groceries in it is still a B. My SW20 has a trunk and a Frunk and I can fit a ton in there for a small car. It's a really nice setup.

Curt makes a 2000 LB capacity hitch for these and I've seen many with little trailers for Tires and Tools.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
1/21/15 10:34 a.m.

I keep thinking about one for ES. After looking over the rule book, I can't help but think it's the easiest car for the class. Its also easier to find nice ones compared to a NB Miata. Most of the NBs I've seen late are in horrible shape! When did this happen?

LuxInterior
LuxInterior Reader
1/21/15 12:16 p.m.

Oil starvation issue appears to be solvable with an aftermarket pan. I've always liked the steering on these. Now that they're cheap I need to go test drive one again.

Question: How much fun is it to try to work in the engine bay on these?

calteg
calteg HalfDork
1/21/15 12:23 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: learn to love double amputee midgets and this problem solves itself.

This will never make it into the mag, but it deserves to.

MR2's are silly light, but the relative lack of aftermarket steered me towards a miata

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/21/15 12:44 p.m.

I can fit $100 worth of groceries, including industrial amounts of TP and giant bags of tortilla chips (I have a good diet), in my NC Miata.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/21/15 1:04 p.m.

Crap, lots my last post.

DIY trunk

hitch plus:

Plus This:

or this:

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
1/21/15 1:06 p.m.

Should I presume that oiling issues are non-existent during autocross? Or would they happen there too? It would see the occasional auto-x.

I'm looking to avoid the need to do any serious work on it, given my history with the 320i (and that this would be a daily).

I will caveat the price comment I made, lower mileage (and none seem to have less than 70k in any event) are fairly pricy. But, if it's anything like the Asst Pastor's 88 4x4, mileage wouldn't appear to be an issue. That thing had 200k plus and the motor purred like a kitten, gear box shifted better than some newer cars I've driven.

gunner
gunner GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/22/15 8:35 p.m.

Auto-x oiling issue is definitely a problem. Moroso makes an oil pan for it. last I checked in 2006 it was about $325. Well I just checked and they are $500 now. Cheaper than an engine if you're gonna autocross it though.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
1/22/15 9:09 p.m.

Well, I drove the car - and you guys weren't kidding when you said there is no storage space! It's got a header and aftermarket cat. He's done some maintenance work on it, clutch, has new tires, drives straight, brakes straight, 120k miles, 5800.

How big a pain is the oil pan? New pick up needed?

Mama is on board, and we wouldn't mind pulling the trigger, even if it is the only one I've driven. Pretty clean.

What else do I need to know?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/22/15 9:51 p.m.

That sounds a little salty for those miles, honestly. But if it's a cream puff, maybe worth it.

Sounds like the main problem has been addressed already.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
1/22/15 10:08 p.m.

No glaring issues that pop up with these cars besides the exhaust? I have to say, I don't see to many with under 100K miles. Occasionally 70 or 80k, and they're usually asking a little more for those.

A recent clutch doesn't seem unreasonable at 120k, and mama found some paperwork for a rear wheel bearing replacement as well as the clutch paperwork.

Here's a look: "link" . He's got another yellow one in the garage, so his reason for selling seems true enough.

As I look at some of the links around Phoenix, the cars are going for a little more than this one (average of about $6500), and of course stealers are quite a few bucks more on top of that.

I am wondering if it'll pass smog (visual) with the aftermarket cat, now that I think about it.

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
1/23/15 8:18 a.m.

If you intend to play with it, make sure about the oil pan! Otherwise, it sounds fine.

I have two friends that now have a better oil pan on theirs. That's after making engine repairs caused by serious oiling issues while auto-crossing.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L0R7rPYvNMG26EhthQh8hCuiR9dyD1bAR0mttjHD7eYxS45cD1AIm8pJBRDtYKCc