GVX19
GVX19 New Reader
1/8/09 5:00 p.m.

Ill take any of them! I would like to have the one that broke in half I could truly double park it just to be an ASS.

Volksroddin
Volksroddin HalfDork
1/8/09 5:33 p.m.

What were those cars based on ??

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
1/8/09 6:14 p.m.

Wow, I wonder how many tires and clutches they go thru in a year!

daytonaer
daytonaer New Reader
1/8/09 6:18 p.m.

I believe they are some little opel, they have a motorcycle engine mounted in the rear(middle).

They have a segment on them on some history channel show. Pretty sweet cars.

amaff
amaff HalfDork
1/8/09 7:17 p.m.

Man those look like they'd be fun to throw around some cones

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/9/09 7:19 a.m.
daytonaer wrote: I believe they are some little opel, they have a motorcycle engine mounted in the rear(middle). They have a segment on them on some history channel show. Pretty sweet cars.

Yeah they're awesome, the bodies on the black ones are from an Opel Corsa, the red one is totally custom. They all use mid-mounted Hayabusa engines. They're super light, the red one has a tube frame (the others still have unibodies but are reinforced with a cage) and they all have sequentially shifted transmissions that flip the whole gearing in reverse so they can drive backwards as fast as they drive forwards. They also use custom tires and have a cooling system for a water vest. I know at least the red one can do a 720 degree spin without slowing down much...it comes out of the spin almost as fast as it went in.

Oh and they go through a set of tires after 2 shows.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/9/09 7:38 a.m.

It looks like there are at least two of the red cars. It switches from RWD to FWD every time it goes behind the wall.

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
1/9/09 7:47 a.m.

In reply to derekshannon:

I saw that show three times while there a couple years ago - awesome! Some are front steer and some are rear wheel steer. Yes, they have hot motorcycle engines on them, and I forget what type of car they are, but Opel might be right. Equally interesting is that the shop they have to work on them has glass sides, so you can look in. If you go to Disney, DO NOT MISS THAT SHOW.

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
1/9/09 7:56 a.m.

After your video, youtube also suggested this video.

I think it is 9 minutes of instruction for driving a Hyundai Accent rental car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV29FnEBx4o&NR=1

914Driver
914Driver Dork
1/9/09 8:33 a.m.

One of those jobs where you really don't mind going to work, eh?

Stuc
Stuc HalfDork
1/9/09 9:20 a.m.
m4ff3w wrote: It looks like there are at least two of the red cars. It switches from RWD to FWD every time it goes behind the wall.

Yep, I saw the show and talked to some of the guys about it. There are actually atleast 3 red cars... the one that is spinning the front tires is actually just the same car with the body on backwards so the driver is actually facing forward looking out the rear window, IIRC. Another one is remote control.

pigeon
pigeon Reader
1/9/09 9:46 a.m.

Didn't look at the video but I know exactly what you're talking about, the "Lights, Motors, Action!" show at Disney. We went last Spring and it was my 8 and 10 year old kids' favorite thing there, mine too. Definitely don't miss that show if you go to Disney. Great show, great driving, but I think like everything else if you did it for a living 3-4x a day every day you'd get bored pretty quickly.

The "forward then reverse" car is actually two cars where one drives behind the wall and stops, the other with the flipped body then continues out the other side. They show how everything happens after it happens, pretty cool actually.

There is one "remote controlled" car that they have a kid from the audience "drive" that's actually driven by a driver in a rig attached to the side of the car away from the audience.

Don't waste your time waiting in line for Test Track at Epcot though, my kids told me that it was very tame compared to driving with me!

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/9/09 9:52 a.m.
914Driver wrote: One of those jobs where you really don't mind going to work, eh?

One of those jobs where a single bad day at work could get you fired, eh?

VanillaSky
VanillaSky New Reader
1/9/09 6:09 p.m.

Test track is more boring than the ride to the park. Yay, 65MPH... =You were just going 80MPH on the interstate a few hours ago, and then you were dodging traffic.

The show at Disney Studios (no longer MGM) is a see-it-once at best for me. I tend to spend more time on the other side of the park, at Rock-n-Rollercoaster and Tower of Terror.

And if you do decide to plan a future trip, just a heads up: the new DS parade sucks.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury New Reader
1/11/09 10:18 a.m.

Yeah, those must be pretty light to be able to leap from 1 truck to another, and then land on an air mattress!!! fun to watch though. They couldve just drifted around the set in tandem, without all the jet skis, gunmen and drivers on fire, and I wouldve watched another 20 min with a big dumb grin on my face.

Osterizer
Osterizer HalfDork
1/11/09 12:42 p.m.

Do want

oldopelguy
oldopelguy HalfDork
1/11/09 1:01 p.m.

Just more proof of how cool Opels are....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HwZmAFp82AF2pD440bPtiQoaehPmulDbOjqaOUjtGjhXPnUNq2jhQpEQFLmN0ukW