1 2
drummerfromdefleopard
drummerfromdefleopard GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/8/15 9:56 a.m.

below is a PCA Club Racing Classifieds screenshot from January 2001

http://web.archive.org/web/20010119145500/http://www.pca.org/pca/clubrace/classifieds/current.htm

Don't even think about contacting the sellers, I've already emailed them all asking if it's still for sale and if they'll honor the pricing listed.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
4/8/15 10:25 a.m.

LOL no kidding. Every now and then I browse through a really old hemmings when I need a good cry.

drummerfromdefleopard
4/8/15 10:28 a.m.

93 RSRs for under $100k and there's 3 of them listed. The allergies are strong today, very, very strong.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/8/15 10:41 a.m.

Never, ever, look in the back of old Hotrod magazine when they still had classifieds. Oi!

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
4/8/15 11:51 a.m.

I just think about some of the cars I use to see in the $1000 and under section of the classifieds that are now all over $5k easy some over $10k.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/8/15 12:03 p.m.

Man it must suck to be into old Porsches...like having an impossible fetish.

drummerfromdefleopard
4/8/15 12:20 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

only thing worse then wanting an old Porsche and not being able to justify the cost of entry, is having one and being tempted by the values to cash out

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
4/8/15 12:31 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Man it must suck to be into old Porsches...like having an impossible fetish.

It's great if you already have a few, but sucks if you want more.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz HalfDork
4/8/15 12:34 p.m.

I've been tempted to cash out because of the rising air cooled prices and use the loot to build a big garage/shop. 86 ROW widebody cab.

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/86%20Porsche%20Widebody/86PorscheWidebodyConv128.jpg.html][/URL]

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
4/8/15 12:59 p.m.

I still find it hard to believe any of them are a good investment.

What do they go for now? You're looking at a classifieds ad 14 years old. Money can grow a lot in 14 years.

drummerfromdefleopard
4/8/15 1:16 p.m.

some current 993 RSR pricing for reference:

http://fa-automobile.com/liste-par-modele.php?id=44&model=77

One of the 911s on the page came with enough Fuchs to be worth the asking price just for the spare wheels in today's market.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
4/8/15 1:22 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: I still find it hard to believe any of them are a good investment. What do they go for now? You're looking at a classifieds ad 14 years old. Money can grow a lot in 14 years.

I don't look at it as an investment, but they are a hell of a lot more fun than the stock market. The value increase is just a nice perk, but honestly it could have gone the other way and it still wouldn't hurt my feelings because I enjoy the cars.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
4/8/15 1:25 p.m.

I've got a 1972 Road and Track I've held on to. Ferrari's in the $5-6k. Cobras about the same.

drummerfromdefleopard
4/8/15 1:33 p.m.

In reply to Cotton:

they are incredibly fun and engaging to drive.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
4/8/15 1:43 p.m.
Cotton wrote:
ProDarwin wrote: I still find it hard to believe any of them are a good investment. What do they go for now? You're looking at a classifieds ad 14 years old. Money can grow a lot in 14 years.
I don't look at it as an investment, but they are a hell of a lot more fun than the stock market. The value increase is just a nice perk, but honestly it could have gone the other way and it still wouldn't hurt my feelings because I enjoy the cars.

Totally understandable... just don't try and fool anyone into thinking its an investment.

That said, the example given above is pretty solid, probably on par with the market. 99k in the market in Jan 2001 would be around 240 now. A 99k car -> 300k car minus 14 years of storage, maintenance, insurance, etc. is probably close to the same number.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
4/8/15 1:47 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

Almost as bad as old muscle cars. I ran across a 70 road runner with more holes than solid body work and they still wanted $10,000 for it.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
4/8/15 2:42 p.m.

90K To The S&P for 15 years in that time frame to today is 5.49% invested dividends would give you 57% on your money inflation adjusted for.

~141K. Whats a good 93 RS going for nowadays. Minus 15 year of maintenance, storage, insurance

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
4/8/15 3:01 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: 90K To The S&P for 15 years in that time frame to today is 5.49% invested dividends would give you 57% on your money inflation adjusted for. ~141K. Whats a good 93 RS going for nowadays. Minus 15 year of maintenance, storage, insurance

You are right. I had an extra 100% in there. Dow in Jan 2001 was 10600, in Today it is 17900. Meaning 99k then is only 167k now.

I didn't adjust for inflation - nobody is selling a 93 RS today in 2001 dollars :)

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
4/8/15 3:03 p.m.

I don't count storage. We bought a house with a huge detached garage.....it just so happens I filled it up with cars and bikes.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/8/15 3:17 p.m.

Exhibit A: Ferrari GTO

Exhibit B: Cobra Daytona Coupe\

Of course your mileage may vary.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/8/15 3:18 p.m.

Think of the money you could have made if you horded all the 240SXs and 86 Corollas when they were cheap.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
4/8/15 3:38 p.m.

How long will the Porsche bubble last? Will it pop, or just flatten out and dip a little bit?

drummerfromdefleopard
4/8/15 3:59 p.m.

In reply to Petrolburner:

depends on what models, pre 996 911s will not pop and I'm doubtful of a dip, but may flatten out. 944 turbo, S and S2 I could definitely see a dip and maybe a pop, but at less then $25k (unless buying a former pro series race car) won't depreciate any worse then a $25k new car would. The forthcoming Cayman GT4 is only going to go up from day 1.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
4/8/15 4:02 p.m.
drummerfromdefleopard wrote: In reply to Petrolburner: depends on what models, pre 996 911s will not pop and I'm doubtful of a dip, but may flatten out. 944 turbo, S and S2 I could definitely see a dip and maybe a pop, but at less then $25k (unless buying a former pro series race car) won't depreciate any worse then a $25k new car would. The forthcoming Cayman GT4 is only going to go up from day 1.

A GT4 would be a hell of a car to buy new. Wonder if they'll sell anywhere near MSRP?

Edit: I just did a little digging and sounds like waiting lists vs allocations have already got a little crazy, so probably not likely to get a shot at a 2015. I plan to call my local dealer just to see because at this point I'm not real serious about it, but very curious.

Double edit: Called local dealer and they think they'll get two between now and April 2016, they had 9 deposits, and have already refunded 5 of them due to lack of allocations.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver UltraDork
4/8/15 4:36 p.m.

But can you take that money out on the weekends and play with it?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
COJNAhNmtjMxQIehZ1uyKpwpv8dh3YGT47Ce5mXFOoHg7iAyNwtHLaqR0nQThxPM