tdisalvo
tdisalvo New Reader
11/16/16 3:24 p.m.

Team GRM, looking for comments on third party parts manufacturers.

My G8 is in need of a variety of suspension components... front struts & strut bearings, rear shocks & mounts, front lower control arm w/ ball joint & a couple of stabilizer links. Struts & shocks will be OEM since the aftermarket options are limited. Strut bearings will be Whiteline poly since the OEM rubber ones are junk.

I'm now looking for options on the control arm & stabilizer links. Rock Auto lists several brands / price points - Control arms. I've heard of them all but have no first-hand experience.

So, what's the word on these? Doorman apparently only has one product line. Mevotech has regular, Original Grade and Supreme. Moog has Regular and R-Series. I'm fine with spending a few more dollars if one of them is substantially better than the others.

Any recommendations (or cautions) would be appreciated.

Thanks, TOM

(edit) Apparently I don't know 'Dorman' from 'Doorman.' Such a non-dork mistake.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
11/16/16 3:26 p.m.

For the control arms and such, the highest end of the Moog and Mevotech lines are generally good in my experience. Their lower end stuff is sometimes good, sometimes not so much. Dorman is usually not so great.

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/16/16 3:27 p.m.

Personally dislike mevotech greatly due to poor fitment and early failure. But that's comparing to OEM mostly. Moog stuff seems better IMO.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/16/16 3:33 p.m.

the top line mevotech parts were comparable to moog HD parts that i installed on my avalanche. i would have no problem buying them again. i'd only use their low grade on something i was getting rid of soon.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
11/16/16 3:35 p.m.

I recall reading about one or two companies in Australia that were selling performance suspension upgrades for the G8, but don't know if that sort of thing is still available. There must be an active G8 forum out there someplace with current information.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
11/16/16 3:46 p.m.

Sounds like it's time to just drop the keys in hte front seat and walk away. I'll come get it in.... about 8 hours.

tdisalvo
tdisalvo New Reader
11/16/16 4:00 p.m.

Ha, thanks for the replies. There is some decent information out there; G8board is as active as it gets for a car with only two model years. But, the signal:noise ratio there is a bit challenging and I wouldn't expect a rational discussion about Dorman vs. Mevotech vs. Moog. Regarding upgrades, there are lots of options... GXP & Chevy SS parts are (sometimes) bolt-on upgrades. Some Camaro stuff will bolt up too. Domestic coil-overs are out there as well, along with some pretty trick speed parts. In this case I'm looking for mostly OEM replacements, although I'm not necessarily interested in OEM / dealer pricing. The car is an '09 with 112k miles so I'm not inclined to go nutty. Bob, funny guy, I was eyeing up your C4 before you sold it.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/16/16 6:43 p.m.

Pedder is the Ozzie company you need.

As a parts seller, I strongly advise you to stay away from Dorman and MevoTech (even their top-of-the-line stuff). I personally bought into the premium MevoTech stuff on my Saturn and it completely destroyed every component within 6 months. Their stuff does not last. I would advise you go straight to the top end of the Moog scale if you want anything near OE quality/longevity.

daeman
daeman HalfDork
11/16/16 7:34 p.m.

Spend some time trawling some of the commodore forums. You'll learn a fair bit about what is good and what's available in the Australian market.

Nolathane and Super Pro will both have some great bushings to suit, as well as swaybar links. Pedders and Lovells would be a decent choice for other suspension gear. I'm not sure as to exactly which floor Pan the g8 is based on, but fe2e suspension bits have a good standing amongst commodore owners.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F0T4OTyRbi6I78DPv5iL0qpZUu0uaYPoTUt9TSU3Lnno6CQOymdNasIygtviT1PJ