DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
6/18/24 10:40 a.m.

Drain plug leaks after last oil change.  Extra torque didn't stop it.  I drained the oil and replaced the crush washer with a new one plus a used, good one.  Bad idea?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/18/24 10:47 a.m.

Not a bad idea if it works, it's not too uncommon to find old cars running double crush washers like that.

Trent
Trent UltimaDork
6/18/24 11:07 a.m.

Always anneal the copper crush washers before use. Just heat them to a dull red. Let them cool and they will be dead soft and ready to seal.

Or use a bonded seal washer from a hydraulic shop. Those are the cheat code for a surface to rough to seal with the copper or aluminum washers

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
6/18/24 12:09 p.m.

Double srush washer didn't help.  Went back to a new crush washer, didn't help.  Tried wrapping the bolt with teflon tape; still leaks.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
6/18/24 1:55 p.m.

Added more teflon tape, then more.  Still leaks.  Pulled off all the teflon, started again with teflon plus a new crush washer.  Will keep you posted.  :-(

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
6/18/24 2:40 p.m.

Still leaks.

It's never leaked in the 13 previous oil changes since new.  I can't think what changed.  I checked the threads in the drain pan as well as on the drain plug.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

cyow5
cyow5 Reader
6/18/24 2:46 p.m.

Could it be a nearby weld that's leaking and it just *looks* like the drain plug is the source?

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
6/18/24 4:18 p.m.

Teflon won't help on that style of bolt, it's meant to seal with the washer. My jeep 4.0 uses a plastic crush washer and it works great.

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/18/24 5:07 p.m.

Stat-o-seal as previously mentioned. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/24 11:54 a.m.

I have seen people put a green o ring on the bolt instead of the crush washer. I guess it worked but needs to be replaced with each oil change. 

I would assume it needs to be an o ring designed for oil and heat. 

porschenut
porschenut Dork
6/19/24 1:01 p.m.

Is the sealing surface of the pan flat?  If the pan twisted a bit due to over tightening it will leak.  Does the drain bolt take torque?  If not threads could be buggered.  My rebuilt suby motor came with a crappy chinese oil pan that deflected the first time I tightened the plug.  Two new crush washers and some tape on the threads stopped the leak.  On the next oil change I put in a mishimoto drain valve with the leak fixes applied again.  No more leaks.  Once you find the fix a drain valve might be a good idea.

WillG80
WillG80 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/19/24 1:57 p.m.

Could there be a hairline crack in the oil pan around the drain? Tightening the bolt could allow the crack to open and leak

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/24 6:54 p.m.

I recently had to replace an oil pan in a Kia for this.  The pan must have had a hairline crack above the drain plug because nothing would keep it from leaking.  Any special gasket you can think of, I tried.  (I am a major fan of drain plugs with integral O rings, or Stat-o-seal type gaskets.)

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
7/7/24 8:39 a.m.

Stat-o-seals ordered off eBay, 20 for $20.32 with tax and shipping.  Crossing fingers and anxiously awaiting arrival.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
7/7/24 9:41 a.m.

Teflon tape for tapered thread only.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
7/11/24 5:47 p.m.

Stat-o-seal installed.  Internet said it would seal at finger torque.  I tried lightly torquing, then harder, then harder still and it still leaks.

I did check for any cracks around the drain plug and I can't find any.  The rest of the drain pan is clean so I know it's leaking from the drain plug, somehow...  :-(

Tomorrow I'll head to NAPA and see if they can source a green (Viton) A/C seal or even a white one (Viton silicone).

I feel like an idiot having this much trouble and time and still not being able to stop the simple leak.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/11/24 5:53 p.m.

Just because you can't see a crack doesn't mean something isn't there.

I saw that Kia that I mentioned upthread, late last week.  The oil pan was bone dry.  Finally.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
7/12/24 10:52 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I hear you.  I did the best visual inspection these old eyes could.  Today I will drag a knifeblade over it and see if I can find an edge.  I will also try to use some sort of a flat plane to look for any sort of possible non-flat surface on the pan.  I'm off to NAPA to source rubber/silicone/viton o-rings.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
7/12/24 1:28 p.m.

time to break out the anti-fugal foot spray... No not kidding.

Clean the area with brake cleaner and blow dry. Shake up the foot spray can and paint a light coating wait 3-4 min the spray will turn white except where the crack or leak is.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
7/15/24 10:41 a.m.

Green Viton o-ring didn't fix it.  I tried different levels of torque on the green o-ring and it still leaks.  I dragged an Xacto blade around the hole to feel for a crack and found nothing.  All this is complicated by the steady drip-drip of oil leaking out.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
7/19/24 9:50 p.m.

Turns out the pan was cracked.  Hopefully the new pan works out.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZD7JER4p3S6B0NTWjUaJsAxYwptsFc0bKBSILVjh503dQNh3LBL4C0bpvgUPp84V