1 2 3 4
accordionfolder
accordionfolder UltraDork
3/12/24 12:23 p.m.

Well - what're we thinking of this?

Obviously I'm building steel ramps that are welded in if I do it, but it balanced out really well, honestly.

~4400: combined miata
~2600: trailer empty
~7000

The trailer is rated at 7k payload - The tires are rated at a combined 11,300. I've crawled all over and under the trailer, it's an overbuilt chunk of a fella, twin 7k axles, brakes on both axles. There are tie down points allllll over it so I'm not to worried about getting them safely strapped down. 

It'd be towed behind a 12klb motor home - and slowly at that, even unloaded I'm 60-65 max.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/12/24 12:34 p.m.

Nice!

I did something similar with 2 Yugos on an 18' trailer years ago. I extended the rear by a foot or so with bolt-on extenders.

One caution... I had too much weight behind the axles.  It wanted to bullwhip- it was really sketchy to drive when it got to 50 mph.

You've got the full weight of the 2nd car behind the axles.  Test drive it before you commit.

accordionfolder
3/12/24 12:39 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

That's a big concern for me - I could turn the forward miata around and get a lot more weight on the nose, but I was worried it'd be TOO much weight. 

Corner weights of the miata onboard:

Spearfishin
Spearfishin Reader
3/12/24 12:47 p.m.

I'd do it. Better ramps and make sure the cars can't move...why not?

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/24 12:55 p.m.

you're fine

accordionfolder
3/12/24 12:55 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

Which direction did you have the two Yugos facing? Any pics? 

accordionfolder
3/12/24 12:58 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

hahaha - I love that setup! I kinda figured I'd send it (slowly), but never hurts to ask folks with experience yes

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/12/24 1:24 p.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

I'm not sure I can find the pics. Maybe in the "Cars on trailers" thread...

I had them both forward. Removed the front wheels on the front car and set it over the toolbox, kept the engine weight forward on both. 

Edit: ...But Yugos are lighter than Miatas, and my trailer was shorter than yours. 

accordionfolder
3/12/24 1:40 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

Copy that! - I guess I'll give it a try after I get things more adequately strapped down. This one is 22' of deck ~4' of tongue. I'd rather not be white-knuckling it for hours on end.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/12/24 1:40 p.m.

Oops, I was wrong. I had the front one backwards. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/12/24 1:42 p.m.

Is this a one time gig, or a more permanent setup?

I drove the Yugos 1000 miles, but I never did it again. It was white knuckling the whole way.

I can do it once.

accordionfolder
3/12/24 1:42 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

hahaha, this thread is just kinda turning into pictures of awesome double stacked single trailers! 

It does make me wonder about turning my front miata around, more tongue is (usually) more better - I'm just not sure how much tongue that'll end up being. 

accordionfolder
3/12/24 1:43 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

I'd like to do this on the regular, but usually I'm towing <5 hours one way. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/12/24 1:45 p.m.

Your big tow rig probably won't care much about tongue weight.  Might be a good idea.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/12/24 1:48 p.m.

Also...

The back of your motorhome is gone be squared off very high. Make sure it doesn't clip the corner of the car at full jackknife. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/12/24 1:50 p.m.

If it seems sketchy and you're gonna do this regularly, you could consider adding a 3rd axle.

accordionfolder
3/12/24 1:50 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

haha - another thing to keep in mind!

She was BIG with the trailer + RV - but it does sure look lonely with just a single miata!

accordionfolder
3/12/24 1:53 p.m.
SV reX said:

If it seems sketchy and you're gonna do this regularly, you could consider adding a 3rd axle.

Ah, good idea - I hadn't thought of that. I guess step one is make ramps that aren't so sketchy and see how it pulls

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/12/24 1:55 p.m.

I forgot how big the rear overhang is on those rigs!

Check your tongue weight rating.

Also, pay attention to the location of your holding tanks.  I'm assuming they are behind the rear axle- full holding tanks could change your weight distribution significantly from one trip to another!

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/12/24 1:57 p.m.

To be clear, I like your idea.  I also like your hydraulic bed trailer.  

Just encouraging you to check a few things you may or may not have thought of. 

Especially if you want this to be a regular thing. 

accordionfolder
3/12/24 2:01 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

I'll take ALL the advice I can get, I appreciate it! yes

I'm still not certain it's going to be safe w/ the RV and that trailer. I think my truck would handle it fine, but the RV is the big question mark. 

gsettle
gsettle Reader
3/12/24 2:22 p.m.
accordionfolder said:

Well - what're we thinking of this?

Obviously I'm building steel ramps that are welded in if I do it, but it balanced out really well, honestly.

~4400: combined miata
~2600: trailer empty
~7000

The trailer is rated at 7k payload - The tires are rated at a combined 11,300. I've crawled all over and under the trailer, it's an overbuilt chunk of a fella, twin 7k axles, brakes on both axles. 

I think you'd still be good on the wieght, but, I thought 6 lug axles only went up to 5200#?

accordionfolder
3/12/24 2:28 p.m.

In reply to gsettle :

I'll check, I might've messed that part up. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/12/24 2:38 p.m.

In reply to gsettle :

Good catch. 

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/12/24 2:38 p.m.

I had to move 2 S2000's once, but I accomplished it a bit differently. 🤪

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners