J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
6/25/24 11:51 a.m.
feature_image

Drift Appalachia has not only introduced a new form of motorsport to the U.S.–togue–but also brought it to areas quite unfamiliar with drifting as a whole.

Nevertheless, Drift Appalachia draws crowds when it rolls into the small Appalachian towns that host them. That was especially evident during the party at the Mountain View Drive-In in Stanford, Kentucky, preceding the June …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
6/25/24 12:12 p.m.
J.A. Ackley said:

"This reminds me of the old days, back in the ’60s, [when] the cars would come over here and hang out."

I love this. I imagine there was that feeling of "the kids are going to be alright."

J.A. Ackley
6/25/24 2:46 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

The drift crowd overall has a younger vibe - and they are indeed car people. Love the scene.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/25/24 2:52 p.m.

I'll say this, in terms of professional motorsports spectating, there's no better deal than a Formula Drift round. $60 gets you in the doors for a full three-day weekend, qualifying and eliminations for Pro and ProSpec (basically the minor leagues). No pit passes or any of that. You can just go anywhere. Want to walk into the pits and likely talk your favorite driver and get a photo with them? Go ahead. Want to stand by the burnout box and watch cars warm up? Knock yourself out. Autograph session? That's included too. And the cars, ohhhhh, the cars. 1000hp twin-turbo LS Cadillac XLR? Check. RHD Mustang with bored and stroked NASCAR motors huffing nitrous? Check. Turbo three-rotor RX-8? Check. S15 with a screaming RB26? Check. I dragged one of my non-car friends to a round a number of years ago, and he was instantly hooked. He's been going back with me ever since.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
6/25/24 3:08 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

I'll admit that I didn't pay for the tickets at the time because I was still a teenager living with my parents, I recall the Red Bull GRC at Daytona having a similar vibe. There were more places you could go than couldn't​​​​​.

Good memories.

J.A. Ackley
6/25/24 5:06 p.m.

The access is incredible in Formula Drift. The drivers encourage interaction. While other forms of motorsport advertise their accessibility, Formula Drift actually walks the talk. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/25/24 6:45 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

GRC was awesome for access. It was so much fun the couple rounds that I worked. Sat in on the driver meetings. It was pretty cool to meet the deegan's and tanner foust. 

I would love to see a touge run style drift event. Too bad as a spectator, the vision is bad. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LLzIk98G3q2FHqHQarYMCHiji5KBLfpud1iOiF5UIgF5gyb7yBPX20UxuVv66WDc