1 2
Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
7/28/13 4:27 p.m.

Alright, it's looking like I'm going to be doing a fly and drive. It's an 1988 Accord LXi with a ton of rare parts. Engine has a knock, but I have a short block available on the left coast if I need it. New CV axles will be installed and the transmission repaired. It may need a new clutch. A new clutch comes with the car.

Would any of you like to hear the story of my adventure? Does video blogging (youtube/vimeo), web blogging with pictures, or perhaps seeing the story in a magazine sound like something everyone here would want to see?

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
7/28/13 4:27 p.m.

I'd read it. Though, what's especially rare on an Accord?

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
7/28/13 4:34 p.m.

The main parts that are rare is the DC Sports header and rear disc brake swap that comes with it. A lot of not so rare, but expensive, parts are also included. Tires are fairly new, wheels are Integra meshes. Being a Cali car, it has a rust free body, unlike my 1989 Accord that's lived in FL all of its life.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/28/13 4:39 p.m.

I'd read it

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Reader
7/28/13 4:39 p.m.

I'd read it too!

Derick Freese wrote: Alright, it's looking like I'm going to be doing a fly and drive. It's an 1988 Accord LXi with a ton of rare parts. Engine has a knock, but I have a short block available on the left coast if I need it. New CV axles will be installed and the transmission repaired. It may need a new clutch. A new clutch comes with the car. Would any of you like to hear the story of my adventure? Does video blogging (youtube/vimeo), web blogging with pictures, or perhaps seeing the story in a magazine sound like something everyone here would want to see?
1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UberDork
7/28/13 4:53 p.m.

You might want to carry a few basic tools with you.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/28/13 4:59 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2:

Yeah, plus a cell phone, CB/radio and food and water. Just pick the last place you'd like to break down, and bring the things you'd want to have with you if that were to happen. Good luck, and please do keep us posted.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
7/28/13 5:10 p.m.

I'll be carrying a set of tools that I pick up when I get there. Most of the issues will be fixed before I depart, but it's still a 25 year old car.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 HalfDork
7/28/13 5:21 p.m.

id read the story. you must be braver/younger than me....

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
7/28/13 5:39 p.m.

Florida car that isn't rust free? Do you park it on the beach?

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
7/28/13 6:01 p.m.
Derick Freese wrote: Alright, it's looking like I'm going to be doing a fly and drive. It's an 1988 Accord LXi with a ton of rare parts. Engine has a knock, but I have a short block available on the left coast if I need it. New CV axles will be installed and the transmission repaired. It may need a new clutch. A new clutch comes with the car. Would any of you like to hear the story of my adventure? Does video blogging (youtube/vimeo), web blogging with pictures, or perhaps seeing the story in a magazine sound like something everyone here would want to see?

Sounds like an adventure! I'll read or watch. When do you leave?

ls1fiero
ls1fiero Reader
7/28/13 6:43 p.m.

Did you say that the engine is knocking? Three thousand mile trip? Probably limited on time? Yep, I say go for it. sounds like something I would do.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Reader
7/28/13 7:12 p.m.

Been watching Roadkill, this is especially relevant to my interests

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
7/28/13 8:00 p.m.

I'm 50/50 on the bottom end. I have a short block available to me if needed.

Right now, this is in the planning stages, but it seems to be happening quickly. Who knew I'd be collecting 3rd generation Accords, save for maybe my wife.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
7/28/13 8:11 p.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222:

I have no clue, man. These cars tend to rust even if you keep them garaged. There's a design flaw that traps water in a corner in the trunk and it rusts out the rear quarter panels from the inside out. Repaints also tend to be done poorly, sealing off some of the undersized water gutters. That's the big issue with my car.

egnorant
egnorant SuperDork
7/28/13 8:17 p.m.

Might even post your route and schedule in case you need some grassroots support...or lunch!

Bruce

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/28/13 8:29 p.m.

Of course we would like to read about it.

Why aren't you on the plane yet ?

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
7/28/13 8:36 p.m.

Once I start planning my route, it will be posted. There's a high likelihood of needing to fix something, so having some friendly garages would be wonderful.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
7/28/13 8:51 p.m.

For now, the tentative plan is to go through CO, and stop by Flyin' Miata, then start making my way east. If you want to have a beer, or even better, offer up a place to sleep for the night, that would be really cool and would add to the adventure.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
7/28/13 9:09 p.m.

Got a home base garage in the Bay area, so I have a place to work on the car before the trip. Awesome.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/28/13 9:13 p.m.

If you're going via I-80, we might be able to offer crash space (but we're only 4h out of SF so that might not be useful). I also have a reasonable toolkit so you might be able to do some emergency repair up here if necessary...

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
7/28/13 9:23 p.m.

When is this going down?

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
7/28/13 9:58 p.m.

My current plan is flying out mid-August and driving back home over about a week.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
7/28/13 10:14 p.m.

I would definitely read this! I've always liked these cars. Is the LXi the hatch? Oh, and I'm also a little jealous...I've always wanted to do a fly-n-drive cross country trek. Keep us posted!

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
7/28/13 10:24 p.m.

I had an 88 LXi coupe in college. Great car. I'm right off I-75 not far south of Macon GA. If you need a friendly port of call. We can probably throw out an air mattress for you to crash on too, depending on the date.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5v80yrwdILmteqOhsmzIQVc5fgcj4SqzMGidKZbf015dY9BuJJlSiKrmzs8oOxTr