Storz
Storz Dork
3/18/15 11:41 a.m.

What a beast

Co-worker just bought a lightly used 2014 SHO and knows I am into cars, he offered up the keys for a little test drive and I happily obliged. First off the car is massive, interior is incredibly comfortable, trunk is huge. Overall just a very large, imposing vehicle.

Power delivery is smooth and very linear, no noticeable turbo lag to speak of. Punch it from a dead stop and it hunkers down and rockets forward with a nice growl from the intake. I am spoiled on handling due to daily driving a 330i ZHP (most cars feel like slugs in comparison) but the SHO dances pretty well for being a big girl, some more aggressive tires and a proper alignment would help for sure.

If you're in the market for a large family hauler with some muscle def give it a look.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
3/18/15 11:55 a.m.

I can vouch for room. My friend had one as a rental while his car was in the body shop after a fender bender. We took it out for his bachelor party and it easily carried 6 adult men, don't ask.

I ended up driving at the end of the night, and I had nothing to complain about. The rest is a bit foggy.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
3/18/15 11:59 a.m.

Glad you like it.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/18/15 12:03 p.m.

If I were buying a new car for a DD, it would probably be a SHO. Space, comfort, speed, and AWD.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/18/15 12:06 p.m.

I had the regular Taurus as a rental a couple years back and it impressed me on how it drove for it's size. It was a very comfortable mile muncher.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/18/15 12:13 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler:

and if you get the right color people make space for you on the highway. Thanks new police cruisers!

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
3/18/15 12:16 p.m.

They're nice, but far too big for me personally.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
3/18/15 12:21 p.m.

My wife considered a Taurus before buying the V6 Accord, and used to own a Yamaha-powered SHO back in the day. Unless they've changed the front seat, I found it to be almost claustrophobic, like driving a bathtub. A big car that feels even bigger. Did not like the driving experience. Can't say enough good things about the Accord.

Granted, this wasn't an SHO, so that might cover a few sins.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/18/15 12:29 p.m.

What can it tow?

Storz
Storz Dork
3/18/15 1:01 p.m.
mtn wrote: What can it tow?

Not sure on towing capacity, but it can haul a$$ nicely.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/18/15 1:38 p.m.

Love mine. It's white. I am given a lot of road courtesy now. The biggest hassle is other drivers doing the speed limit in front me in the left lane.

I'll answer any questions posted. I've had mine for about 2 years now.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
3/18/15 1:46 p.m.

Planning on waiting for the 3.5TT Interceptors to start selling. I can't wait...

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/18/15 2:01 p.m.

I looked at one in 2012 when shopping for the wife's car. The way the center console was laid out meant that my knee was digging painfully into a plastic corner, so I gave it a pass without ever even driving it.

Contradiction
Contradiction Reader
3/18/15 2:06 p.m.

Would probably be a pretty good car. I had a 2.0 Ecoboost Fusion as a rental and I was pretty impressed with it so I can imagine the SHO would be even better. Nice roomy interior, good power, etc.

The only thing I didn't like about the Fusion was it torque steered like a MOFO when you got on the gas. That and you could only get the 2.0 Ecoboost with an auto. I just noticed that a manual isn't even an option anymore. Not surprised but still disappointing. I ultimately bought a 15 Mazda6 because I wasn't going to buy an automatic.

jrflying
jrflying New Reader
3/18/15 5:07 p.m.

What's the difference between the Awd 3.6 Lincoln MKS and the SHO?

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
3/18/15 5:44 p.m.

One is a Ford the other is a Lincoln.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
3/18/15 5:49 p.m.
iceracer wrote: One is a Ford the other is a Lincoln.

That, and it's 3.5 l.

The chassis are slightly different. Though.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
3/18/15 7:07 p.m.

How diffeeeent? Structural rigidity? Or a bigger boot?

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
3/18/15 8:26 p.m.

In reply to Trackmouse:

The chassis/suspension is a little newer for the SHO vs the MKS, so it handles a little better and has better brakes. The MKS eventually go the brakes, and bet the second gen also got the better chassis- but I've not driven one of those.

Tuning wise, I'm sure the MKS is still a little softer than the SHO.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
3/19/15 5:50 a.m.

The SHO + Performance pack is very tempting if I ever decide to get out of driving small sporty cars.

And now that I'm living downtown, a BRZ with Ground Control coilovers and 255/35 Direzza DZIIs is hardly making for a nice commuter vehicle.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Qwen55Lc9yljZ3YvRjk4k6gE6eNHVTBDcz4ThriE9gTyislYoOm3kMH4kAK15sT0