Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
6/29/21 11:08 a.m.
feature_image

More than 800 horsepower, all-wheel-drive, a zero-to-60 time of less than three seconds, and an all-electric powertrain are just a few of the highlights of German startup E-Legend’s EL1.

If you think it looks a bit like the Ur-Quattro from the heyday of Group B rally, you’re not wrong, as E-Legend gave the EL1 “an extremely enchanting dress in the style of one …

Read the rest of the story

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
6/29/21 11:33 a.m.

I'll take mine in the S1 Quattro yellow/white graphics scheme, thanks.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/29/21 11:37 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

You know, I'm digging the green. But traditional S1 graphics would be rad....

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
6/29/21 11:47 a.m.

Thinking about all of the costs that go into a project like this, at $1M each and 30 units planned for the production run, could they actually make a profit?  It seems doubtful from where I'm sitting.  100 units, maybe?  

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
6/29/21 12:02 p.m.

E-Legend doesn't roll off the tongue like E-Quattro, but I'm guessing Audi has got that trademarked. 

Even just calling it the E-Four or E4 would be better than "Legend". Silly. 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/29/21 12:07 p.m.

Another tease from Audi, remember this one from 2010:

I have to give them credit though, the 2022 RS5 is not too shabby:

It looks like it has three openings at the leading edge of the hood, and the fenders flare quite a bit. It wouldn't take much to do a proper uR knockoff.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
6/29/21 1:38 p.m.

I don't need the whole car, I just want to know what the body in white costs so I can build one with a 20V turbo. What a beautiful design. I'm struggling to point to anything that I really wish they'd done differently with it.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/29/21 1:50 p.m.
gearheadE30 said:

I don't need the whole car, I just want to know what the body in white costs so I can build one with a 20V turbo. What a beautiful design. I'm struggling to point to anything that I really wish they'd done differently with it.

This.

That is a wonderful modern interpretation.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/29/21 1:56 p.m.

I like how it looks, but I don't need 800 hp...if they could do 400hp (which is still plenty) and mass produce it so the price would come down to reality, I'd be interested.

I'm open to owning an EV, but I want something that's attractive and sporty - I don't want an ugly SAV like most manufacturers seem to be pushing

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/29/21 2:31 p.m.

This has a vague? whiff of vapour ware. This is to followed by two more “Legends” investors sought at €290 per share.

paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/29/21 2:40 p.m.

Lots to like, but better if they'd stuck closer to the uQ's schnozz. This one looks like you could shave with it.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/29/21 2:46 p.m.

I'm worried about the driving dynamics when compared to the original due to being an EV. Will the majority of the weight still be out in front of the front wheels causing massive amounts of understeer? Will it have incredible lag that absolutely requires left foot braking? 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/29/21 5:00 p.m.

My first take was "Dam that would make a cool Toyota Corolla"  Audi did not even cross my mind.  Take that body and put a Prius under it.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/29/21 9:30 p.m.

pitch the electric drive in the trash and put in a RS4 V8 powertrain.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/29/21 10:07 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm worried about the driving dynamics when compared to the original due to being an EV. Will the majority of the weight still be out in front of the front wheels causing massive amounts of understeer? Will it have incredible lag that absolutely requires left foot braking? 

That's the magic of good torque vectoring and full control over power delivery! You could totally capture the dynamic behavior of the original!

And then flip a switch and turn the emulation off again ;)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/29/21 10:08 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

I like how it looks, but I don't need 800 hp...if they could do 400hp (which is still plenty) and mass produce it so the price would come down to reality, I'd be interested.

I'm open to owning an EV, but I want something that's attractive and sporty - I don't want an ugly SAV like most manufacturers seem to be pushing

The question is whether a 400 hp version with similar range would actually be significantly less expensive.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/30/21 7:33 a.m.

Interested? MSRP is set at 890,000 Euros­–a little over $1 million–with only 30 examples set to go into production.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/30/21 7:44 a.m.

Audi could do something similar and sell it for the same price as a comparable Tesla S if they chose to...

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
6/30/21 4:26 p.m.

Everything from the grill back looms absolutely amazing. The C pillar and the box flares and the wheels and.... yum. But that face might need the paper bag treatment.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
7/1/21 8:48 a.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

Another tease from Audi,

It's not from Audi, though.

And I even like the front of it:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fLHACB3LTmTCMwdboVkOn4NcwiK7SsRn9eVHme94pnyoXrIJsW81Tc09XRWMISsc