Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
6/17/08 9:09 a.m.

My buddy's new to him 325 died on the way to work this morning

Dunno. I was pulling out of that street by Hot Dog House (was gonna take the "back way" due to the construction) on to 550 and half way through 1st it shut down like I'd turned the key off. Gauges and lights were still alive, but nothing was running the engine. It turns over but doesn't even come close to catching, except once... after it sat for 5 minutes or so, it turned over, caught, ran for just a second, and died. I almost wish it hadn't caught, would've made it easier to figure out, like it's a coil or fuel pump...

He added that he vaguely remember being able to hear the fuel pump prior to this, but now can not...

Probable culprits?

therex
therex Dork
6/17/08 9:12 a.m.

Fuel pump is my guess. They die with some regularity.

Sonic
Sonic New Reader
6/17/08 9:25 a.m.

The fuel pump relay goes bad more frequently than the pump, and is much cheaper to replace. Try the relay first.

edit: The main relay, which is right next to the fuel pump relay, also goes bad. I just replaced both and it solved an intermittent no start that I had.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
6/17/08 10:10 a.m.

Anyone know what "color" the fuel pump relay is? The dealer is telling him they are "indexed by color" and of course he's at work, 10 miles from the car ;-)

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
6/17/08 12:31 p.m.

The fuel pump relay and main relay are the first things to check. I'd also buy replacements for both of them; if one is still good, then he'll have a spare to keep in the glove compartment. On the other hand it could well be a fuel pump. The pump died in my 325ix this winter and it acted exactly the same - it was running just fine, then it just quit as if I turned the key off.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/17/08 1:04 p.m.

yea, my Ti did the same thing this spring. Only thing I managed to get it to start and run for 5 more minutes... just enough time to get me home

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
6/17/08 1:12 p.m.

jumper

nasaregistrar
nasaregistrar Dork
6/18/08 7:32 a.m.
Gearhead_42 wrote: Anyone know what "color" the fuel pump relay is? The dealer is telling him they are "indexed by color" and of course he's at work, 10 miles from the car ;-)

Orange, it is the same one as the o2 sensor heater relay. There are 2 orange ones and a white one on the left inner fender well. The white one is the main relay for the ECU, the fuel pump one is all the way closest to the firewall, swap it with the O2 relay to test.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Reader
6/18/08 8:26 a.m.

I had the same thing in my Miata. I replaced the pump first. Turned out to be a broken wire. Don't be stupid like me. (The pump was old anyway)

natefoo
natefoo
6/18/08 8:35 a.m.

Gearhead forgot to mention that I've owned this E30 for less than 2 weeks. Huzzah for quality German engineering.

I have 3 relays, one sits lower that the other two and is toward the headlights. According to the manual, that one is the O2 (seems right, since it's the same relay as the middle one, which is supposed to be fuel pump). The 5 prong white one is the closest to the firewall.

I tested both of the orange ones with a 9 volt and got clickage... jumpered the middle (supposedly fuel pump) socket and no start, swapped the orange relays, no start.

I didn't think to test the white ecu relay, I'll have to try that when I get home.

BTW, I don't know for sure that it's the fuel pump. Could still be something else. It just seems likely... I'll have to disconnect a fuel line or something and see if it pumps.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Reader
6/18/08 8:45 a.m.

When you jumper the fuel-pump relay and turn the ignition key to on, shouldn't the fuel pump turn on? This would be a great way to see what kind of fuel-delivery problem it is (if it is one at all). If you have relay clickage, but no pump runnage, you need to test the pump (and the wiring!!!).

natefoo
natefoo New Reader
6/18/08 8:49 a.m.

Yeah... I am pretty sure I could hear the pump before and can't now, even when jumpered.

'Course, now I have to figure out how I'm gonna get under the car on my 15 or 20 degree inclined street. If anyone knows how to accomplish it, it's GRM... any ideas?

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
6/18/08 8:55 a.m.

Hmmm... you may need to call your "tow company" and have it delivered to the flattest backyard in Bellefonte...

I was just thinking though... the main would power on the pump, so if the main was bad, even jumpered the pump wouldn't run... so test or pick up a new main and a new/spare pump relay, before we resort to under car contortions...

natefoo
natefoo New Reader
6/18/08 9:00 a.m.

I'll take G42 Towing Enterprises up on that if I can learn to brake with a tow strap properly.

Okay, got the next thing to test... will report back this evening.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
6/18/08 10:15 a.m.

How old is the 325? Somewhere around '88 they went to a single fuel pump and it's in the tank. Accessed by removing the rear seat bottom cushion. Very simple job.

You may be grumpy about it failing in under two weeks of ownership, but the poor car ran 20 years before you got it!

nasaregistrar
nasaregistrar Dork
6/18/08 10:19 a.m.

exactly what year and model is it? If it is an i car the low relay should be the white ECU relay

natefoo
natefoo New Reader
6/18/08 10:20 a.m.

Yeah, '91. And yeah, I was just frustrated (found a few other inspection-failing problems, too).

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
6/18/08 10:30 a.m.

Ah ha.
If the pump gave out a standard issue $100 walbro will drop right in. I haven't seen or heard of any with wiring issues AT the pump on '88+ cars, not to say that couldn't happen I guess.

natefoo
natefoo New Reader
6/18/08 11:44 a.m.

nasaregistrar, '91 325i. The low relay is orange, 4 prong like the center one.

nasaregistrar
nasaregistrar Dork
6/18/08 11:48 a.m.
natefoo wrote: nasaregistrar, '91 325i. The low relay is orange, 4 prong like the center one.

I will look again at my 90 tonight....

mad_machine
6/18/08 12:47 p.m.

91.. yea, pop the rear seat, you should have a circular access cover. Pull that and the tank and pump should be right there..

Much better than dropping the tank

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
6/18/08 12:49 p.m.

btw, the one on the pass side, not the drivers side.

mad_machine
6/18/08 4:19 p.m.

oops, yes, I should have mentioned that.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OiJmBJSwSAiAKRJNDblLFOktICWlO5cI1qP8IEPb1niaTIYzPwBBmB5C0g1xIfzs