PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
3/16/15 10:49 a.m.

Found a cheap, lower mileage 95' 325i convertible, but owner says that it pops out of 1st and Reverse, and mechanics have told him it'll needs a trans.

What kind of transmissions will bolt to this motor, and any suggestions how much to pay for a used transmission?

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
3/16/15 11:10 a.m.

I think I read that most manual transmission from the M5X family are pretty interchangeable. So I think just about any E36 or E46 5 speed box you can find should bolt up. I know E36s are solidly in LeMons territory now, so it should be pretty cheap to find a replacement. It's not like E46s where people still think they're worth money, they're about at the bottom of the curve.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/15 12:12 p.m.

yes, those trans are cheap.. and relatively robust. The previous owner must have really beat on the car

Jamey_from_Legal
Jamey_from_Legal New Reader
3/16/15 1:10 p.m.

I would expect $300 to $500 for a used direct replacement part, depending on mileage.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
3/16/15 1:19 p.m.

I usually get the ZF trans from the E36 M3 for $375-425. That one ought to be a getrag 250 IIRC and about $250 at the JY. You could upgrade to the ZF but I cannot recall what is involved - the trans mount, guibo and front driveshaft flange ... etc.

The last one I did I snagged the whole driveline from a 328 to put in an E30 so it all just bolted right up.

crxmike
crxmike New Reader
3/16/15 1:43 p.m.

I have a 5spd from a 1994 325i with about 160k miles that I pulled in December (performing a 5.0 Ford swap). I am actually driving through your area on Friday (headed to Bowling Green for an Evo school). How far are you from rt81?

I haven't yet pulled from engine (which is on floor) but could. Occasional grind from 2nd gear, otherwise I had no issues in the 5k miles I used it for.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
3/16/15 1:47 p.m.

Oh, crap. I have one on my garage floor too... a small grind going into 5th under full load but $100 would get it off my floor (that is how much DriveGear hands out for the cores ;) ).

Jamey_from_Legal
Jamey_from_Legal New Reader
4/3/15 11:35 a.m.

Funny you mention; I'm in the process of buying a rebuilt Getrag 260 from DriveGear. Great guys.

And, like everybody else in this thread apparently (other than the OP), I have a Getrag 240 out of a '94 3-series hanging around "in inventory." What is it with these things? They're like used Camry's or something.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
4/3/15 12:34 p.m.
unevolved wrote: I think I read that most manual transmission from the M5X family are pretty interchangeable. So I think just about any E36 or E46 5 speed box you can find should bolt up. I know E36s are solidly in LeMons territory now, so it should be pretty cheap to find a replacement. It's not like E46s where people still think they're worth money, they're about at the bottom of the curve.

I don't see many people letting E36s go for quite that low a price, but I am starting to see some high mileage E46 323s for around $2K

Matthew Huizing
Matthew Huizing Reader
4/3/15 2:03 p.m.

I blew 2nd in an early Getrag 250. I broke the mounting tabs off my original one, but the second gear synchros were weak in that one. I've since swapped to a ZF from a 328 convertible, which is very nice. You need the drive shaft, flex disk, and shifter stuff to swap to a ZF. I bought mine for $50 from LKQ self-serve during a 50% off sale.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Y9jpa04Qp5T21K9mHOxL5glk4AS5TObUQJG39LYve12PgGu8wcuiehhHEPV1VVtO