Steve
Steve Reader
10/1/23 3:29 p.m.

Assume that either option has been brought up to stage zero, between the 3.0 I6 and the 4.4 V8, both manual, what is your preference in actual use, if you have experience with both. Mostly commuting, shuttle the kid to school, one day a week that is a longer (45 min.) commute mixed highway and country roads. 

For the sake of this argument, both cars are manual, the 3.0 is an '03 and the 4.4 is a '00. 

I've heard, in general, that the 3.0 doesn't lose our much on power to the 4.4, but I'm wondering how real that actually is. And that folks prefer the 3.0 as it is "more reliable", whatever that means. But it's hard to deny the desire for the V8, even if it comes with the gas tax. 

I also realized that they are both 20 year old BMWs, and may not be the best idea for a commuter, but in theory, if you were going to use one of 'em, which one is the better tool for the job? 

Trent
Trent PowerDork
10/1/23 3:44 p.m.

I have asked myself this same question many times.

In my mind one of my favorite things about every BMW I truly love is the super smooth inline 6 and the wonderful noises they make.  A bent eight just doesn't have the same appeal to me.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
10/1/23 4:17 p.m.

2000 is pre-facelift, 2003 is post, if it matters. If either one has the sport package, I'd go for that, if only for the seats. Assuming all things are equal, the straight six would be my choice: smoother, doesn't leak everywhere, and the common problems are easier to fix. It won't have the outright grunt of the V8, but it's plenty capable and loves to be wound up to where the power lives.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/1/23 7:59 p.m.

I think the straight six also has a better steering rack. Can't remember the what it has, but I'm pretty sure it's better than the V8 cars.

Edit: rack and pinion on the  I6, recirculating ball on the V8

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/1/23 8:06 p.m.

In reply to dj06482 (Forum Supporter) :

IIRC it's a recirculating ball vs rack and pinion.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Dork
10/1/23 8:09 p.m.

530i is a honda accord compared to the 540i in a reliability ranking. After dealing with watercooled alternators, valley pan gaskets buried under intake manifolds, oil leaks that were unrepairable, and timing chain/guides issues, No Way In Heck would I buy a v8 BMW unless it was a dream machine. Drive a 530 and see if you like it. If you do, don't drive a 540 and you will never know what you are missing. 

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/1/23 8:31 p.m.
Olemiss540 said:

530i is a honda accord compared to the 540i in a reliability ranking. After dealing with watercooled alternators, valley pan gaskets buried under intake manifolds, oil leaks that were unrepairable, and timing chain/guides issues, No Way In Heck would I buy a v8 BMW unless it was a dream machine. Drive a 530 and see if you like it. If you do, don't drive a 540 and you will never know what you are missing. 

Nailed it! 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/23 8:41 p.m.

BMW became legendary for their fours and sixes.  They made the V8 because they needed a marketing check box ticked, IMO.

I have driven some nice 540s, but once past the rarity gee-whiz factor, they aren't that engaging.  I had the opportunity to buy a phenomenally clean manual 540i with the fancy pants package and passed it up because I wasn't all that moved.

Some people do love 'em, and more power to them.  You may find that you are one of them.  More for you, I suppose smiley

repoman
repoman New Reader
10/2/23 9:18 a.m.

Skip the 540 -- go 530 or M5 IMO.

The M54 drivetrain has plenty of grunt, better balanced, is easier to maintain and has better steering. M5 is, well, an M5 ... and has a much nicer and prettier interior with the heritage leather option. It is compromised in a lot of ways compared to the 530 specifically because of the big bad ass S62. The regular M62 car isn't special enough to deal with those same compromises, in my opinion of course. 

I went shopping for a 530i manual sport four years ago, came home with a really clean M5 instead. I still casually shop for 530s and think about pocketing the $20k difference but equivalently clean ones are seemingly nonexistent. 

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
10/2/23 9:30 a.m.

For a daily driver the steering difference doesn't make enough change. The fuel economy, reliability and ease of maintenance on the 530 wins every time.

My friend has owned a manual 530IT(started life as 528, one of 17 manuals?) for over ten years and 100k. It has been a fantastic daily driver for him. There's a few weird electronic issues with the ignition switch and the light controller. Otherwise great car.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1z6nzcyaqdbPiPCE7EjlYCpJEsvVSGeizljuK2MGWVCdSYM4NRaCfFlj4lJO0ZXJ