1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
6/4/14 7:25 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
oldsaw wrote: I just received my email confirmation! This offer is ideal because I can experiment on the Prelude before jumping in all the way.
aircooled said: 3 gallons to cover a typical car... that's get pretty pricey pretty quick.
The kit price for three gallons, prep, various application tools AND a sprayer is right there with the DipYourCar products. Because of name recognition, Eastwood needs to offer something at least as good as DYC if not demonstrably better.
I dunno, it could be argued that Eastwood has far better name recognition...

Eastwood sees growth potential or it wouldn't have ventured into the market. Name recognition will only go so far if the product isn't at least equal to the competition; that's all I said.

pjbgravely
pjbgravely Reader
6/4/14 8:47 p.m.

I just found this thread, too late for the free stuff. I am surprised Eastwood didn't send an email about this on their mailing list. I am going to purchase some plastidip soon. $25 verses $40 is a no brainier.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture Dork
6/4/14 9:08 p.m.

Ok, So im late and going to use the 10% off discount.

I'm wondering, I want to paint an axle and have it maybe last a little while. I can't imagine that plastidip type paint would be very tough. Is there something else you all would suggest to add tough color under the car?

Black is easy, I'm thinking something weird like green or whatever.

Eastwood_Company
Eastwood_Company New Reader
6/5/14 9:42 a.m.
oldsaw wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote:
oldsaw wrote: I just received my email confirmation! This offer is ideal because I can experiment on the Prelude before jumping in all the way.
aircooled said: 3 gallons to cover a typical car... that's get pretty pricey pretty quick.
The kit price for three gallons, prep, various application tools AND a sprayer is right there with the DipYourCar products. Because of name recognition, Eastwood needs to offer something at least as good as DYC if not demonstrably better.
I dunno, it could be argued that Eastwood has far better name recognition...
Eastwood sees growth potential or it wouldn't have ventured into the market. Name recognition will only go so far if the product isn't at least equal to the competition; that's all I said.

This is true, we've always pertained more to DIY restoration demographics, including the classics, rat rod, street/hot rod crowd. We wanted to expand our reaches to also said "import" or younger demographic.

In terms of the overall product we carry ours and somewhat of our competitors but we've done extensive research on top of R&D time to create overall what we believe is a far superior product.

If you look at our youtube page we used the competitors product for multiple projects and video. But as we all know there is room to improve and expand on products as well as cars. Hence we created Elastiwrap

Eastwood_Company
6/5/14 9:44 a.m.
BobOfTheFuture wrote: Ok, So im late and going to use the 10% off discount. I'm wondering, I want to paint an axle and have it maybe last a little while. I can't imagine that plastidip type paint would be very tough. Is there something else you all would suggest to add tough color under the car? Black is easy, I'm thinking something weird like green or whatever.

If you wanted something overall very durable (more permanent) but aesthetically what you would like... I'd say go the powder coating route.

Elastiwrap, being a temporary coating, will protect as well, but only for so long until touch up or recoating would come into play.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
6/5/14 9:45 a.m.
Eastwood_Company wrote: If you look at our youtube page...

I'd love to. Linkey?

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
6/5/14 9:48 a.m.

In reply to Eastwood_Company:

What's the deal with the glow in the dark additive? I looked all over the site, but didn't see anything.

Eastwood_Company
6/5/14 11:22 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote:
Eastwood_Company wrote: If you look at our youtube page...
I'd love to. Linkey?

http://www.youtube.com/user/EastwoodCo

Eastwood_Company
6/5/14 11:23 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote: In reply to Eastwood_Company: What's the deal with the glow in the dark additive? I looked all over the site, but didn't see anything.

Unfortunately that was a powder additive mixed into our Elastiwrap clear. It was an outside sourced additive. We will eventually within the next few months carry pearl, metallic, chameleon, and glow in the dark additives to mix with our product.

Will
Will SuperDork
6/5/14 2:52 p.m.

Mine came today...along with coupons for mail-order wine. Wasn't expecting that.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
6/5/14 3:15 p.m.

One application I don't know if anyone has considered is using it to paint on numbers (with a stencil) for an AutoX or track day.

I will probably test that, and other stencils in general.

Will this stuff stick to glass (at least for the short term)? If so, it might be useful for applying class designations etc. to participant cars.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
6/5/14 4:10 p.m.

I got mine today. I won't have time to do anything with it for maybe a week. I plan on painting the interior panels on my VW that have the soft-touch stuff peeling off.

Thanks Eastwood. I've ordered more than a few of your products and have never been disappointed.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
6/5/14 4:11 p.m.
aircooled wrote: One application I don't know if anyone has considered is using it to paint on numbers (with a stencil) for an AutoX or track day. I will probably test that, and other stencils in general. Will this stuff stick to glass (at least for the short term)? If so, it might be useful for applying class designations etc. to participant cars.

Good idea.

Eastwood_Company
6/5/14 4:26 p.m.
aircooled wrote: One application I don't know if anyone has considered is using it to paint on numbers (with a stencil) for an AutoX or track day. I will probably test that, and other stencils in general. Will this stuff stick to glass (at least for the short term)? If so, it might be useful for applying class designations etc. to participant cars.

Actually, Kevin Tetz, who we work very closely with, has entertained that idea as well for stencils and numbers on autox/time attack cars.

In terms of the glass adhesion, we see no issues with that as long as the glass is cleaned before hand.

Eastwood_Company
6/5/14 4:27 p.m.

I'm glad to see everyone getting their free product in a timely manner!

Enjoy it and please as stated give feedback and any desired photos and content!

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/5/14 4:50 p.m.

Hoping mine will be here today.

What about using it as a brush-on mask for paint? I need to paint the roof of my van, and it has a bunch of slats for the roof rack attached to it. Why not paint over them (slopilly) with rubber coating, use the slice and peal method to remove the coating from the roof while leaving it on the slats, shoot the whole roof, then peel of the mask coating from the slats?

Eastwood_Company
6/5/14 5:17 p.m.
bgkast wrote: Hoping mine will be here today. What about using it as a brush-on mask for paint? I need to paint the roof of my van, and it has a bunch of slats for the roof rack attached to it. Why not paint over them (slopilly) with rubber coating, use the slice and peal method to remove the coating from the roof while leaving it on the slats, shoot the whole roof, then peel of the mask coating from the slats?

Simply yes. The route you are going is a little more tedious than just masking it off with tape but you can cut away at what you don't need using an exacto knife and than peel it off.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/5/14 7:28 p.m.

Got my OD Green today! I test painted a box in my garage. I like how it lays. I think it applies way better than the competing product. My only concern is that it's pretty dark for OD Green. I was hoping for a close match to the OD Green accessories in my Jeep but it's a lot darker.

A quick pic comparing to my mag drop pouch:

It is a bit darker than the photo shows.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
6/5/14 8:10 p.m.

In reply to stanger_missle:

OD Green can be anywhere from the paint color to much lighter than your gear. Tactical styling has a tendency to range in fade especially with cheaper brands. The paint is on the dark end of the spectrum, though.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/5/14 8:18 p.m.

In reply to N Sperlo:

Don't get me wrong, I like the color a lot. I was hoping it was going to match the other OD stuff on my Jeep but I know there are many diffent shades. I think I'm going to try this on some silver interior plastic pieces that don't match anything.

And actually, I just realized that this is the exact shade I want to paint my MRAP tail lights.

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi Reader
6/5/14 8:32 p.m.

Hi Sean @ Eastwood. I'm going to use this to paint the wheels on my Datsun. They're 14" wheels with 6 spokes. I'd prefer to polish the outer ring and paint just the spokes. Do you think I'll have adhesion problems if some metal polish gets on the spokes?

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
6/5/14 8:39 p.m.

FedEx delivered my sample this afternoon. I'm thinking the Prelude's trunk lid is the perfect place for experimentation.

Weather permitting, this weekend looks like the opportunity for a much needed wash, a little bit of prep work and multiple coats of Elastiwrap. Before and after pics are part of the plan.

Maybe we should start a new thread to show-off some projects and how the stuff works.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
6/5/14 9:06 p.m.

Got mine today. I'll have to wait until Saturday to paint the tank.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/5/14 9:29 p.m.

Publicly, I'd like to thank Eastwood for making the generous offer. It's also neat to see everyone's creative gears turning.

Eastwood_Company
6/6/14 9:45 a.m.

@stranger_missle any suggestions and feedback on products is more than appreciated. I know as stated fabrics and paints are very hard to match sometimes. But i can pass suggestions along over to our R&D team for future reference!

@mikeatrpi If you are polishing first, no matter what on the spokes you will need to clean them before hand. If spots are missed it shouldn't be an adhesion issue. Possibly may have a small reaction with the product but clean up and touch up is very very simple. Masking will play a big part. But also the cleaner for the Elastiwrap will not harm your polish

@oldsaw @nicksta43 Glad to hear you have gotten your product! Pictures are welcome as well as full feed back on the product. No need to sugar coat any thoughts! And another thread filled with your projects and experiences would be awesome! If done please send me the link!

@David S. Wallens Thank you for the kind words! We've had a strong history together and its great to see our product in the hands of your followers and fellow track junkies (as i'm one too) Can't wait to see the feedback as well as all the projects getting underway!

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ggS9vCOLuLjHGyDQCRNvBxmqRzTt0JG7WZhvhOngxKurTYqdGkOKTVl2HTO4d03S