1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/6/14 10:09 a.m.

My free can arrived yesterday. I'm going to try it on some wheels tomorrow. Thanks Eastwood!

Eastwood_Company
Eastwood_Company New Reader
6/6/14 10:27 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: My free can arrived yesterday. I'm going to try it on some wheels tomorrow. Thanks Eastwood!

You're welcome! I'm still anxious to see all the outcomes, pitcures and feedback!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/6/14 10:32 a.m.

A thought on another use. If heading to the track and worried about rock chips, think this product would provide some protection to the nose, fenders, etc.?

Eastwood_Company
6/6/14 11:17 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: A thought on another use. If heading to the track and worried about rock chips, think this product would provide some protection to the nose, fenders, etc.?

If i can hunt the video down... Kevin Tetz has briefly described how he had used the Elastiwrap gloss clear on his autox Mustang for added protection on his paint from dirt, rock chips, ect.

+1 for another great use of the product

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
6/6/14 11:26 a.m.

I got my can of burn out black yesterday, I think that I will try coating my hand fabbed aluminum adjustable spoiler to make it look more legit. If it works, it might be the only thing on the car that does!

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
6/6/14 11:29 a.m.

I apologize if I missed this, but how many sq ft can each can cover with enough coats to be peelable? I'd rather not find out the hard way

Eastwood_Company
6/6/14 11:43 a.m.

@HappyAndy shoot us some pictures of your metal work! Obviously besides our Elastiwrap we do metal fab as well. Hope it turns out with the expectations you want! Side Note: I was also thinking of spraying my Origin Lab Spoiler (even though I have no use for it at the moment since i sold my subaru) to protect the carbon fiber from debris and dirts floating around in the garage

@nderwater 15sqft at 50% overlap. We recommend 4-6 coats minimum for peelablity OR you can also use our pre painting prep (10041 <- item number for reference) to soften it up for peeling if a lower amount of coats was applied

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz HalfDork
6/6/14 11:55 a.m.

Received mine. Thanks Eastwood! Will test & report back here.

Eastwood_Company
6/6/14 1:10 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: A thought on another use. If heading to the track and worried about rock chips, think this product would provide some protection to the nose, fenders, etc.?

Here is the video with Kevin Tetz http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/48248616

Tahoe
Tahoe New Reader
6/6/14 10:17 p.m.

I know of someone who painted 2 motorcycles, and is going to do at least 1 car using this. Just read the thread after I heard about it after visiting his shop. I thought he was kidding but it looks great. Will it hide the stress cracks on my Elan? Should I try it?

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/6/14 10:20 p.m.

So how many cans will I need to do a motorcycle tank and fairings?

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
6/7/14 2:49 p.m.

Getting ready to do the tank on the bike. I saw something the other day that surprisingly looked really good. A new silver challenger that had the roof done in either this or plasti. It could have been a wrap but it looked more like this to me. Really looked good and recalled the look of the vinyl tops of the sixty's and seventy's. I'll put the pics in this thread in a couple hours

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
6/7/14 7:26 p.m.

OK, got the bike done. The look I'm not so sure of but the product is very nice. When I Plastidipped the BMW I used gallons, I thinned and sprayed it with an HVLP gun. This is my first time using an aerosol can and it's metallic to boot. It spays out nice and thick but with the heavy metal in it does look kinda blotchy when wet. It all blends out pretty good after sitting about fifteen minutes however. The last coat which was coat 7 the can started throwing some boogers. It doesn't really show up in the pictures too good but it was a little disappointing because it was looking very good on coat 6. 7 coats and the can was empty.

I messed it up by not cleaning it very well but the product is very forgiving. I'm not sure if it was a sweaty hand brushing up against it or if it was just a spot that I missed in wipe down. It was very hot in the garage and pretty humid.

Anyway on to the pics, first what we were starting with then picture overload.

Three coats

Final coat

On the bike

The metallic really pops in the sun. I have some ideas about tank art followed by clear gloss and doing the rear fender as well. We'll see. One can of Elastiwrap and pulling the front fender really changed the entire look of the bike for better or worse.

EvanR
EvanR Dork
6/8/14 6:08 p.m.

I got mine, and read the can. I can not actually figure out if the product is intended to be temporary or permanent. I sure can't figure out what to do with it if I don't know how long it will last!

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
6/8/14 6:30 p.m.

In reply to EvanR: When I plasti dipped the BMW it took almost a year of being constantly exposed to the elements before it started to show deterioration. But once it started it went downhill fast. I would consider it temporary but depending on how much it's exposed to the elements it could last quite a while longer. This stuff smells way different than Plasti though.

EvanR
EvanR Dork
6/8/14 7:08 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote: In reply to EvanR: When I plasti dipped the BMW it took almost a year of being constantly exposed to the elements before it started to show deterioration. But once it started it went downhill fast. I would consider it temporary but depending on how much it's exposed to the elements it could last quite a while longer. This stuff smells way different than Plasti though.

Okay, thanks. I'm not sure I can think of anything I want to coat temporarily. I'm not even sure I understand the concept of a coating that doesn't last.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
6/8/14 7:28 p.m.

I got mine and gave the stencil idea (car number etc.) a try. Seems to work great. I put it on some very much non-waxed paint (instructions say a well waxed surface makes removal easier).

I expected it to be super thick, but it pretty much goes on like normal paint. If you do thick it will run. A few light coats works fine.

I also tried it on glass. Seems to also work great, sticks and easy to remove. Much easier to remove then shoe polish. I got black, so not that useful on glass, but a good test.

Removal was actually very easy. Just rub your thumb on the edge and it will roll up. Two light coats was very easy to remove on zero wax paint. Seems like a great solution for some quality temporary numbers, ID's etc.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
6/8/14 7:29 p.m.

Note, I did not get it on my hotus. But I am pretty curious if a coat of it on the skin (not recommended of course) would just peel off when dry (I suspect it will).

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
6/8/14 8:29 p.m.

In reply to EvanR:

A lot of guys use it as a cheap way to change the look, add stripes don't like em' ? Peel it off and try again. Blacking out badges and stuff. Wheel color as well. Check out the forums at dipyourcar.com for some ideas.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/8/14 9:27 p.m.

Will this stick to chrome?

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
6/8/14 9:28 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

Yes

EvanR
EvanR Dork
6/8/14 10:26 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote: In reply to EvanR: A lot of guys use it as a cheap way to change the look, add stripes don't like em' ? Peel it off and try again. Blacking out badges and stuff. Wheel color as well. Check out the forums at dipyourcar.com for some ideas.

Well, I suppose I get that. Just not my thing. I suppose I'll find some use for it.

Eastwood_Company
6/9/14 9:52 a.m.
Tahoe wrote: I know of someone who painted 2 motorcycles, and is going to do at least 1 car using this. Just read the thread after I heard about it after visiting his shop. I thought he was kidding but it looks great. Will it hide the stress cracks on my Elan? Should I try it?

As for stress marks/cracks yes it will hide them thanks to the higher build formula

@mr2peak 3 Cans will do the motorcycles fairings for you (full fairing'ed)

Eastwood_Company
6/9/14 9:55 a.m.

@nicksta43 The bike looks great! I'm a fan of the smaller sleeker harley's (sportster and 883 ect) <-- coming from a sport bike guy. Overall i thank you for your feedback and if you don't mind me grabbing some of you photo's for the website?

I have also emailed you!

Eastwood_Company
6/9/14 9:57 a.m.
aircooled wrote: I got mine and gave the stencil idea (car number etc.) a try. Seems to work great. I put it on some very much non-waxed paint (instructions say a well waxed surface makes removal easier). I expected it to be super thick, but it pretty much goes on like normal paint. If you do thick it will run. A few light coats works fine. I also tried it on glass. Seems to also work great, sticks and easy to remove. Much easier to remove then shoe polish. I got black, so not that useful on glass, but a good test. Removal was actually very easy. Just rub your thumb on the edge and it will roll up. Two light coats was very easy to remove on zero wax paint. Seems like a great solution for some quality temporary numbers, ID's etc.

So in your opinion would you use this product again or say it was worth the money for certain occasions?

I do appreciate your feedback and i'm glad it did work out well for you!

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
seuQ4Fm44Qh028UG0JmRZeed16MTp8bOKESMIQy6IekbhooyVsbMTLkHnqbuJNL5