1 ... 5 6 7 8 9
Eastwood_Company
Eastwood_Company New Reader
6/11/14 11:31 a.m.
Mezzanine wrote: I got my can of silver and learned a few things about this product. First, I tried to mask off the grill that I had already ElastiWrapped in black so I could paint just the slats silver. Turns out that blue painter's tape will make absolutely no pretense of sticking to ElastiWrap. The grill was spotless and clean, but the tape would not stick at all. I did my best to get it all masked even though the tape wasn't sticking. I went to prep the surface for paint and discovered that the grease and waz remover I typically use to prep for paint immediately softened the ElastiWrap that I had already applied. It has dried for about three days before I prepped to shoot the silver, but the remover softened it right up. Not necessarily removing the base coat, but some would wipe away with the blue shop towel I was using. So with a crappy masking job, I managed to get two coats of silver on the slats before I threw in the towel since the tape and paper was falling off all over the place. I got silver overspray in a few places and remembering that the grease and wax remover had softened it, I decided to try wiping the overspray with a cloth soaked with the stuff. Great news! It was just the thing to remove the overspray and smooth out the black base coat! Happy accident perhaps, but good to know just the same. I went after one spot where the base coat was a little lumpy and the grease and wax remover smoothed it right out. I remounted the SAAB emblem (also ElastiWrap silver) and put the grill back on the car. Looks pretty good! I'm really curious how this product would fare being shot directly onto rubber like my bumper covers.

That looks phenomenal! Great job! And i do apologize, for future reference the pre painting prep (10041) is a solvent for the Elastiwrap (for easy removal and also great for touch up)

And to answer your questions on rubbers/plastics/polyurethane/fiberglass. The Elastiwrap will adhere and lay the same exact way as long as it is properly prepped. Should not have any odd reactions or adhesion issues by any means.

Hopefully, once my Camaro is fixed up this week, I'll be able to give you all a general idea on how it lays on metal/plastics/polyurethane. Along with some added knowledge on how to apply and lay the product that may have not been mentioned in videos already.

But thank you again! Also if you wouldn't mind shooting me a quick email santhony@eastwood.com I'd greatly appreciate it.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
6/11/14 2:34 p.m.
Mezzanine wrote: I got my can of silver and learned a few things about this product. First, I tried to mask off the grill that I had already ElastiWrapped in black so I could paint just the slats silver. Turns out that blue painter's tape will make absolutely no pretense of sticking to ElastiWrap. The grill was spotless and clean, but the tape would not stick at all. I did my best to get it all masked even though the tape wasn't sticking. I went to prep the surface for paint and discovered that the grease and waz remover I typically use to prep for paint immediately softened the ElastiWrap that I had already applied. It has dried for about three days before I prepped to shoot the silver, but the remover softened it right up. Not necessarily removing the base coat, but some would wipe away with the blue shop towel I was using. So with a crappy masking job, I managed to get two coats of silver on the slats before I threw in the towel since the tape and paper was falling off all over the place. I got silver overspray in a few places and remembering that the grease and wax remover had softened it, I decided to try wiping the overspray with a cloth soaked with the stuff. Great news! It was just the thing to remove the overspray and smooth out the black base coat! Happy accident perhaps, but good to know just the same. I went after one spot where the base coat was a little lumpy and the grease and wax remover smoothed it right out. I remounted the SAAB emblem (also ElastiWrap silver) and put the grill back on the car. Looks pretty good! I'm really curious how this product would fare being shot directly onto rubber like my bumper covers.

The grill looks great! I have some plans for mine but am a little worried that you couldn't get the masking tape to stick to it. I haven't tried but that could be a big problem for me

Eastwood_Company
6/11/14 2:46 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote: The grill looks great! I have some plans for mine but am a little worried that you couldn't get the masking tape to stick to it. I haven't tried but that could be a big problem for me

Tomorrow I will be testing using a vinyl tape rather than a masking tape. It should alleviate the issue of adhesion. I will post my results in the afternoon

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/11/14 2:50 p.m.

Will Elastiwrap adhear to a hard backed fabric, say a baseball cap brim?

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
6/11/14 2:59 p.m.
Woody wrote: Will this stick to chrome?

"Elastiwrap sticks to kids" popped into my mind when I read your question. Maybe that would be a good marketing slogan?

Eastwood_Company
6/11/14 3:12 p.m.
CGLockRacer wrote: Will Elastiwrap adhear to a hard backed fabric, say a baseball cap brim?

It will adhere to anything and pretty much everything.

Yes it will work on fabric, would i personally do it? Probably not. Would it be easily removed from fabric? Not 100% sure but i can see it creeping in between the fabric for a difficult time removing.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter PowerDork
6/11/14 3:14 p.m.

Does anyone know of something similar with a much higher heat resistance? Like more in the 650F range?

Eastwood_Company
6/11/14 3:16 p.m.
T.J. wrote:
Woody wrote: Will this stick to chrome?
"Elastiwrap sticks to kids" popped into my mind when I read your question. Maybe that would be a good marketing slogan?

This made me laugh. But in reality, if you felt pursued enough to gloss clear your children say maybe for a pageant or for Halloween it would work.

On that note, I can not condone to the product being used for such reasons lol But to each their own.

Please do not submit photo's of animals or children Elastiwrapped

Eastwood_Company
6/11/14 3:19 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: Does anyone know of something similar with a much higher heat resistance? Like more in the 650F range?

I myself or as a company, even outside of my work, have not seen a "high temp" rubber coating.

The main concern I see is the rubber components in the product. Especially at that heat let alone 350-450 degree's for powder coating work I do. Rubber melts quickly and is very messy.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter PowerDork
6/11/14 3:22 p.m.

Yeah. Cured stuff (silicone, mostly) can stand up to those sorts of temps, but I haven't seen any liquid product that will do it. But the guys here no all sorts of crazy stuff, and I wouldn't be surprised if one said "Go to Tractor Supply and get John Deere tinted gasket maker JA-320x12 and tint it with ..."

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/11/14 3:30 p.m.

We just got ours.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Reader
6/11/14 4:05 p.m.
Eastwood_Company wrote:
nicksta43 wrote: The grill looks great! I have some plans for mine but am a little worried that you couldn't get the masking tape to stick to it. I haven't tried but that could be a big problem for me
Tomorrow I will be testing using a vinyl tape rather than a masking tape. It should alleviate the issue of adhesion. I will post my results in the afternoon

Thanks for the comments Nick! Sean, I'm interested to see if you have better success with the vinyl tape.

I'd clarify that the blue painters tape will stick well enough on flat surfaces that you can get lots of contact area, but the somewhat fiddly taping needed for masking a grill was a no-go.

I may have another ElastiWrap project in the very near future, so I'll try some of that green frog tape that they sell for masking. It is supposed to be a much better bond while maintaining free-releasing properties.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
6/11/14 6:44 p.m.

Just tried some 3M delicate surfaces tape I had in the garage and it seemed to stick fine on the tank. It's different than the standard painters tape, more in line with the Frog tape mentioned.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/11/14 9:33 p.m.

In reply to Eastwood_Company:

Thanks! I'm not looking to remove it from the fabric. More along the lines of hiding sweat stains on a nice hat :)

MINIzguy
MINIzguy Reader
6/11/14 11:50 p.m.

I'm guessing this deal is long gone by now? Would've love to test this out on my unpainted bumper.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/12/14 5:58 a.m.

I guess it's my turn to post…

I ordered white, thinking I might use it on the '99 Vitara I picked up a couple weeks ago, but I really haven't found a need to coat anything on it yet. Of course I was looking for something to use it on though, so I tried it on a non-automotive project.

I picked up a USB MIDI foot controller to use like the old-school Taurus pedals when I play bass. Since it's just a controller I need to run through my Mac to trigger sound patches, and since I don't really want my Mac sitting down on the floor/ground while I play, I picked up a cheap keyboard stand for my USB MIDI keyboard controller(I don't actually play keyboards, but I can sure make weird noises with one. ), and decided to make a stand for my Mac to attach to it.

So I dug through the junk pile(s), found a piece of 3/4" EMT tubing, an old mountain bike stem and bar-end plugs, a pair of aluminum shelf brackets, and the bottom out of an old bike basket.

Here it is assembled before coating.

photo 989DA95E-32B1-45AA-AA9A-F89B08BB1144_zpsw0fjrxsw.jpg

And here's the finished product.

photo E21B8119-B6B0-4E2F-BE3E-23C76EE5C114_zpsgjnlwght.jpg

It works fine and serves its purpose, and the Eastwood coating both covered the rough ends of the wire tray(that I didn't bother to try to round off after cutting) and made it grippy enough to keep my Mac from sliding around.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
6/12/14 9:44 a.m.

Well, that escalated quickly.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
6/12/14 9:46 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard:

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/12/14 10:09 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard:

I can see the productivity in the GRMhq dropping off significantly over the next few weeks, from people bounding around like a bunch of gazelles, after Tom coats the entire office - wall-to-wall and celing-to-floor - in Eastwood rubberized coating.

OSULemon
OSULemon Reader
6/12/14 10:19 a.m.

Late to the party - are they still giving this stuff away?

Eastwood_Company
6/12/14 10:26 a.m.
Mezzanine wrote:
Eastwood_Company wrote:
Thanks for the comments Nick! Sean, I'm interested to see if you have better success with the vinyl tape. I'd clarify that the blue painters tape will stick well enough on flat surfaces that you can get lots of contact area, but the somewhat fiddly taping needed for masking a grill was a no-go. I may have another ElastiWrap project in the very near future, so I'll try some of that green frog tape that they sell for masking. It is supposed to be a much better bond while maintaining free-releasing properties.

Can't wait for the next project! Looking forward to seeing how everything goes!

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
6/12/14 10:27 a.m.

I missed out too.

I wanted to see if I could paint some unsightly chrome pitted valve covers with this stuff on my Trans Am.

Eastwood_Company
6/12/14 10:28 a.m.
nicksta43 wrote: Just tried some 3M delicate surfaces tape I had in the garage and it seemed to stick fine on the tank. It's different than the standard painters tape, more in line with the Frog tape mentioned.

Thanks for the info nicksta43! I'll be doing a little R&D today with a few things in terms of adhesion with tape and a few other experiments! I'll post some of the fun time I get to have at work.

Eastwood_Company
6/12/14 10:29 a.m.

@David S Wallens @Tom Suddard

Can't wait to see the projects get underway! Keep myself and the members up to date, maybe give teasers along the way!

Eastwood_Company
6/12/14 10:30 a.m.
petegossett wrote: I guess it's my turn to post… I ordered white, thinking I might use it on the '99 Vitara I picked up a couple weeks ago, but I really haven't found a need to coat anything on it yet. Of course I was looking for *something* to use it on though, so I tried it on a non-automotive project. I picked up a USB MIDI foot controller to use like the old-school Taurus pedals when I play bass. Since it's just a controller I need to run through my Mac to trigger sound patches, and since I don't really want my Mac sitting down on the floor/ground while I play, I picked up a cheap keyboard stand for my USB MIDI keyboard controller(I don't actually play keyboards, but I can sure make weird noises with one. ), and decided to make a stand for my Mac to attach to it. So I dug through the junk pile(s), found a piece of 3/4" EMT tubing, an old mountain bike stem and bar-end plugs, a pair of aluminum shelf brackets, and the bottom out of an old bike basket. Here it is assembled before coating.  photo 989DA95E-32B1-45AA-AA9A-F89B08BB1144_zpsw0fjrxsw.jpg And here's the finished product.  photo E21B8119-B6B0-4E2F-BE3E-23C76EE5C114_zpsgjnlwght.jpg It works fine and serves its purpose, and the Eastwood coating both covered the rough ends of the wire tray(that I didn't bother to try to round off after cutting) and made it grippy enough to keep my Mac from sliding around.

Thanks for the review and outside of the box use for it! I appreciate it. Glad to see it served its purpose for you!

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XaWaDjA0FUzRNjISQYBrD5s3IoIGvTkxQ5qeBfW1VUPPKNBkcLQsQN9VUgfpbAPB