1 2
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
1/28/15 12:26 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: In reply to Tom_Spangler: You have to be really patient and be ready to spring when something comes up. Over the last decade I've bagged a pair of VW Recaros, a pair of black aftermarket cloth Recaros,a pair of 1st gen Viper seats, and a pair of Recaro Ideal-C seats. None cost me more than $200/pair. BUT, that's over a ten year period, so Good Luck!

That's amazing, I managed to sell stock (Not the Recaro's from the EAP) SVT Focus seats with 60K miles of butt wear for $300 in just a couple of days. Genuine Recaro's or similar for less the $200 is smoking.

Adrian_Thompson
1/28/15 12:38 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: Corey, what about these: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1159-2/overview/ Most of the reviews are pretty positive, they mostly complain about the weight.

Damn. $160 WITH FREE SHIPPING!!!!! how do they do that?

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
1/28/15 12:40 p.m.

There's a set of the gray, velour GTI Recaros on Dayton Craigslist for $300, with the power track , which is useless except in a VW. There's a passenger only of the same set in Akron. The reason that people buy the Ebay Chinese specials is because of price and they'll ship to your door. Good seats will take a good bit more money, or a good bit more effort,time and travel. I got lucky with most of mine, I never went further than Rochester Hills or Flushing and I live west of Ann Arbor.
I worked in the automotive seating industry for 25 years and know how rigorous the tests are. That's why I would stay away from the low end aftermarket stuff. There's a whole lot more engineering in a quality aftermarket , or OEM seat unit than there is in the Chinese stuff.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
1/28/15 12:53 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

As stated earlier, evo8 recaros pop up occasionally on CL for $300ish. Much better seats than even the svtf's eap recaros.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
1/28/15 12:55 p.m.

For the OP, buy this and have it recovered. Then find another one like it and do the same.

http://bloomington.craigslist.org/pts/4863622030.html

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
1/28/15 1:03 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:
Probably Chinese. Then read the reviews. Two of five aren't good at all.

JRod
JRod New Reader
1/28/15 2:09 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: Most of the reviews are pretty positive, they mostly complain about the weight.

The weight on these type of things can be pretty tremendous. I had Sparco Torino 2s a few cars ago and even without the (also really heavy) slider, they were noticeably heavier than the stock mustang chairs. I would not be surprised if Summit brand and the like are even heavier.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/28/15 2:49 p.m.
JRod wrote:
Tom_Spangler wrote: Most of the reviews are pretty positive, they mostly complain about the weight.
The weight on these type of things can be pretty tremendous. I had Sparco Torino 2s a few cars ago and even without the (also really heavy) slider, they were noticeably heavier than the stock mustang chairs. I would not be surprised if Summit brand and the like are even heavier.

If that's the only compromise, then I'm in. I'm not building a race car, my E30 is mostly for fun street driving and track days. If I can save several hundred dollars while adding 20-30 pounds to the car, I'll do it all day long. Besides, E36 Vaders are a popular E30 swap, and those things weigh about a bajillion pounds. My back still hurts from those things 3 years ago.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
1/28/15 3:07 p.m.

I recently bought a pair of real leather power heated seats from a Saab 9-3. Paid $140 for the pair. They will not be mistaken for racing seats, but they fit the bill on being comfy.

Adrian_Thompson
1/28/15 3:20 p.m.
yamaha wrote: For the OP, buy this and have it recovered. Then find another one like it and do the same. http://bloomington.craigslist.org/pts/4863622030.html

Forget recovering. Remove the cover and use PEP fabric dye. That's what I did with my Saab carpet and turned it from crappy faded stained tan to perfect black.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/28/15 3:50 p.m.

http://www.amazon.com/ProCar-Scat-80-1605-61L-SPORTSMAN-Velour/dp/B002L1EQNS

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/28/15 4:26 p.m.

Corey, any interest in some Corbeau A4s? Cloth, but black, and in nice shape. Not $200/pr cheap, though.

mthomson22
mthomson22 UltraDork
1/28/15 6:34 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Corey, any interest in some Corbeau A4s? Cloth, but black, and in nice shape. Not $200/pr cheap, though.

I like my A4s.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
1/28/15 6:48 p.m.

I actually like the $204 and $214 models. I dig the cloth, and I dig the red striping. But concur- for a quality set, OEM Recaro's are the best bet.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/15 6:48 p.m.

BTW, you do know that 924, 944, 928, and 911 seats from that time period all use the same mounting bases, right? I personally got a set of stock, black seats from my 924 in my attic that need the stitching repaired. A recovery kit is available online and is a DIY option as well.

Personally you couldn't pay me enough to buy black vinyl or leather "racing" or otherwise seats, that sounds like a recipe for cooked ass or sliding between the bolsters. My 924 has black cloth fixed back seats because it's a race car and the rear seats/storage is available via sliding the seats forward or opening the rear hatch.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
1/28/15 6:54 p.m.

Corbeau A4s would be a nice upgrade IMHO.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/15 10:55 p.m.

In reply to turboswede:

How much for said 924 chairs? I've been looking for a set for the Javelin for 2 years...

car39
car39 HalfDork
1/29/15 9:05 a.m.

Cheap cuts both ways. Koenig got out of the seat business about 9 years ago, and all their stock was blown out. I picked up a pair for my Miata for under $200 shipped. After 2 years, the driver's seat was a bunch of iron on patches, and the passenger's seat was worn out from the 5 point harness going back and forth. They both had faded to a pale red, except for the stripe on the passenger seat that was protected by the harness. I'm not bitching, I got what I paid for. The Corbeau that I installed just before I sold the car was a superior product in every way.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
1/29/15 12:31 p.m.
turboswede wrote: BTW, you do know that 924, 944, 928, and 911 seats from that time period all use the same mounting bases, right? I personally got a set of stock, black seats from my 924 in my attic that need the stitching repaired. A recovery kit is available online and is a DIY option as well. Personally you couldn't pay me enough to buy black vinyl or leather "racing" or otherwise seats, that sounds like a recipe for cooked ass or sliding between the bolsters. My 924 has black cloth fixed back seats because it's a race car and the rear seats/storage is available via sliding the seats forward or opening the rear hatch.

Yeah, I know, but I want something will a little better bolstering than the stock base model seats, and sport seats are big $$$$. I've actually got a spare set or seats exactly like mine, unfortunately rips and all.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
1/29/15 12:57 p.m.

The upholstery on OEM seats will usually be far more durable, unless the seats are out of a high mileage car and are on their last legs already.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/15 3:44 p.m.
16vCorey wrote:
turboswede wrote: BTW, you do know that 924, 944, 928, and 911 seats from that time period all use the same mounting bases, right? I personally got a set of stock, black seats from my 924 in my attic that need the stitching repaired. A recovery kit is available online and is a DIY option as well. Personally you couldn't pay me enough to buy black vinyl or leather "racing" or otherwise seats, that sounds like a recipe for cooked ass or sliding between the bolsters. My 924 has black cloth fixed back seats because it's a race car and the rear seats/storage is available via sliding the seats forward or opening the rear hatch.
Yeah, I know, but I want something will a little better bolstering than the stock base model seats, and sport seats are big $$$$. I've actually got a spare set or seats exactly like mine, unfortunately rips and all.

Bolsters can be added, they are just steel welded to the stock frames, covered in foam. Seriously, don't over think it too much and get to it with the spare seats.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
1/29/15 4:42 p.m.
turboswede wrote: Bolsters can be added, they are just steel welded to the stock frames, covered in foam. Seriously, don't over think it too much and get to it with the spare seats.

That's a really good idea. There's actually a set of sport seats at a local U-Pull yard that someone ripped to shreds. Seriously, the driver's seat is nothing but bits of foam stuck to a frame and the passenger seat is literally the same, but also broke in half. I have no idea how they managed that, especially since I saw the car before it made it to the yard and the seats were fine. But yeah, I can look at the frames and see how the bolsters are made, and modify mine the same. Good call!

Lancer007
Lancer007 Dork
1/29/15 4:55 p.m.
mthomson22 wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: Corey, any interest in some Corbeau A4s? Cloth, but black, and in nice shape. Not $200/pr cheap, though.
I like my A4s.

I like mine as well. Although I did find them brandy new and unused (but sat in a garage for a couple years) on CL for $200.

Good deals are out there if you're diligent and have cash in hand.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AZaKlTPrHypPYD8Cum1VU5M3jMMonv7xiKJwzNwRcUfq4wBUzfQ4CQO8hqAqxZkY