1 2 3 4 ... 6
Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/7/15 1:25 p.m.

Cool, thanks, everybody.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
7/7/15 1:42 p.m.
bluej wrote: When can I get one (ford racing tune) for the 2.0 in my fiance's MKC??

I wish. I want one for my Fusion 2.0T. Livernois, Mountune, and Steeda all have tunes, but they aren't warranty safe.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/7/15 3:45 p.m.

These things are super quiet stock. We had a guy autocrossing one at NER the last time I was there and working the corner as he went by I could hear no motor noise.

kb58
kb58 Dork
7/7/15 8:01 p.m.

Turbos are a great start to keeping a car quiet on-track.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
7/8/15 12:55 a.m.
Sky_Render wrote: Installing any non-Ford tune will void your warranty.

Says who? Installing aftermarket parts does not void a cars warranty unless proven to be the cause of failure.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
7/8/15 6:05 a.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
Says who? Installing aftermarket parts does not void a cars warranty unless proven to be the cause of failure.

This is true, but turning up the boost on a turbo motor then having anything drivetrain related fail would likely be an easy case of denial since you increased torque through the entire system.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
7/8/15 12:03 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
HiTempguy wrote:
This is true, but turning up the boost on a turbo motor then having anything drivetrain related fail would likely be an easy case of denial since you increased torque through the entire system.

I don't think so. Signs of detonation for engine damage, or actually physical sheering of mechanical parts would probably be required.

Typical things that come to mind are spun bearings, broken clutches, etc. These things usually aren't caused by running a bit more power than stock.

Of course, its a risk you take when modifying a vehicle under warranty and how much your time is worth vs the effort of forcing them to warranty it. Additionally, if all they have is that you tinkered with the ECU due to timestamps or engine start counts, but no proof of the actual modifications, that is some pretty shaky ground to stand on for a warranty denial. All in my opinion of course.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/8/15 12:30 p.m.
kanaric wrote: Also you can "uninstall" it and nobody knows the difference so the warranty is irrelevant.

Not any more, you can't.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/8/15 12:31 p.m.

In reply to HiTempguy:

Give it a try and let us know how it works out for you.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
7/8/15 2:12 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
z31maniac wrote:
HiTempguy wrote:
I don't think so. Signs of detonation for engine damage, or actually physical sheering of mechanical parts would probably be required. Typical things that come to mind are spun bearings, broken clutches, etc. These things usually aren't caused by running a bit more power than stock. Of course, its a risk you take when modifying a vehicle under warranty and how much your time is worth vs the effort of forcing them to warranty it. Additionally, if all they have is that you tinkered with the ECU due to timestamps or engine start counts, but no proof of the actual modifications, that is some pretty shaky ground to stand on for a warranty denial. All in my opinion of course.

lulz, Ok.

But most turbo cars with a tune see some pretty significant gains, not 15-20. For instance, the Audi S3 (292hp 4cylinder) picks nearly 80hp with a downpipe and a tune.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/8/15 2:13 p.m.
bgkast wrote: In reply to HiTempguy: Give it a try and let us know how it works out for you.

This.

chiodos
chiodos Reader
7/8/15 2:25 p.m.

I think it depends on who the company is, I have a friend who has nuked his 2013 wrx twice and both times warranty gave him a new motor. Its 390awhp so obviously theres a few non stock parts he didnt even bother returning to stock either.

Still its not a game of roulette id like to play

Knurled
7/8/15 4:39 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: But most turbo cars with a tune see some pretty significant gains, not 15-20. For instance, the Audi S3 (292hp 4cylinder) picks nearly 80hp with a downpipe and a tune.

292hp + 80hp - dyno chest-thumping fudge factor = stock Ecoboost output in the Focus RS.

I have a feeling that the reason the RS makes 345hp is because they are maxing out the fuel capability... and that it makes less in the Mustang for drivability/thermal/political reasons. (Can't have it be TOO close to the 5.0 in performance you know)

So my gut feeling is, rather like the different power levels of 3.5 Ecoboost, what you can get from a Motorsport tune is the little bit they left on the table in the interests of smooth drivability and doofus protection, but once you're at that top level then you're at some hard limits.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/8/15 7:19 p.m.

I'm just waiting for Eric (alfadriver) to show up and say it's optimized from the factory so you shouldn't mess with it.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/8/15 7:29 p.m.

Do you understand how many variables the modern ECU controls!

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
7/8/15 8:14 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote:
kanaric wrote:
racerdave600 wrote: I went by the Ford dealer and was shocked at how reasonable the Ecoboost Mustangs were. Nothing to add to the thread except that though.
They are about the same weight as a mid 90s Supra and similiar power stock, lol. That's how I convinced one guy to buy one who was waffling on it.
Not the Twin Turbo Supras. We raced them in Speedvision Cup, and I believe ours made something like 320 at the wheels before we did anything to it. It was underrated by Toyota for whatever reason. The NA made about 240 at the crank.

276hp Gentlemens agreement from Japanese manufacturers. Quote fingers used. http://www.caranddriver.com/news/japan-dumps-276-hp-pact-car-news

As far as Cobb Accessport tunes. Aren't they the leading cause of Subaru engines going pop?

Knurled
7/8/15 8:24 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: 276hp Gentlemens agreement from Japanese manufacturers. Quote fingers used.

Just like how everything in the 60s made no more than 425hp, even though the engines kept getting bigger, the cams bigger, the heads better, the carbs larger, the compression higher... Some of the "425hp" engines made closer to 550-575.

I also like the Z/28's 302. Rated at 290hp at 5800. Too bad peak power was over 7000rpm... Same cam as the 375hp 327 but with better heads and better airflow, only a sucker would think it made 25% less power. Supposedly they were actually in the 450hp range with the trunk kit headers.

Ford did similar stuff with the Boss 302 which was also rated at 290hp at low RPM. Yeah, a big cam and 2.1" intake valves and ports you could lose a cat in and a huuuuge carb, it makes peak power at low RPM, sure thing...

As far as Cobb Accessport tunes. Aren't they the leading cause of Subaru engines going pop?

Number of Subaru customers with stock tunes who have blown engines: 0

Number of Subaru customers without stock tunes who have blown engines: All of them

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
7/8/15 8:31 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
Number of Subaru customers with stock tunes who have blown engines: Quite a Few(damn ringlands) Number of Subaru customers without stock tunes who have blown engines: All of them

FTFY

Knurled
7/8/15 8:35 p.m.

None of my Subaru customers with stock tunes have blown engines. Zero.

I don't have any '08-up turbo Impreza customers save for one, admittedly. That one is probably the only one on the road with a stock exhaust for that matter

(Regarding "modifying a 300 mile car" referenced upthread. I had an '10 Camaro come to me for headers and exhaust. When I pulled it into the bay it had just over 250 miles...)

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
7/8/15 8:36 p.m.

Another STI pulled up next to me at a red light and the flat brimmer was like "Bro you gotta do stage 2 tune ASAP it would be wicked." Me: Na it's brand new. Plus I don't want any engine issues. Flat Brimmer: Bro I've only had to replace the engine once and that was on a stage 3 tune anyways.

Knurled
7/8/15 8:40 p.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222:

It's okay. Anybody who uses "stage" as a reference can be safely ignored. It's like people who say NAWS, or say the word "chemtrail" non-ironically.

(This offer not valid for early 60s Mopars. Or late 60s Buicks. Or Turbo Buicks. In those matters, Stage II and sometimes Stage III were the actual names for factory cars or parts series.)

I had to drive one of these after tuning to verify drivability and power. My job sucks. I thought these were awesome. After driving one, I was like, hell, most new cars would blow this out of the water, maybe mid 13s tops.

Yes, valve adjustment was a chore and a half. FWIW.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/8/15 9:17 p.m.

I think that an awful lot of claimed HP at any point in time has been hooey. 1960s cars in general weren't that heavy, and then you hear about cobra-jet this, boss that, hemi so-and-so, big-block mega-death crusader testoserone-max blah, blah. But it handled and stopped like a pig and even with big slicks was barely into the 13s.

-And now old guys are paying 6 figures for them

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/8/15 10:21 p.m.
Knurled wrote: In reply to DirtyBird222: It's okay. Anybody who uses "stage" as a reference can be safely ignored.

Unfortunately in some car communities it's hard to avoid. <- someone who is looking at getting a "stage 1" tune on his saab

ChrisR
ChrisR New Reader
7/8/15 10:26 p.m.

In reply to Kreb: You've seen those t-shirts that say 'the older I get, the faster I was'? That, for me, says so much about old guys who owned muscle cars back then. You should hear my bosses b.s. stories... I'd like to add that the wife and I were this [ ] close to buying a new Ecoboost Mustang...until I squeezed myself into the back seat. Good grief, it makes the back seat in my 4th gen Camaro seem spacious. I'm 5'11" and it was all I could do to smoosh down in the seat and my head was still kinked over.It was not pleasant being in the back of that car. It was going to be the wife's car and she is always taking her friends some place so the lack of headroom was a deal breaker. We both were disappointed with the interior (cheap plastic), which was a shame because the exterior is dead sexy.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
7/9/15 6:00 a.m.
bgkast wrote:
Knurled wrote: In reply to DirtyBird222: It's okay. Anybody who uses "stage" as a reference can be safely ignored.
Unfortunately in some car communities it's hard to avoid. <- someone who is looking at getting a "stage 1" tune on his saab

Just depends.

In the BRZ world, Stage 1 = stock headers, Stage 2 = aftermarket catless header.

The computer will adjust for any other mods, or you can tweak your own tune w/RomRaider or similar.

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
I7NRi3Q1Z1Ofx0b8sGNdtNU9QluhmfpSGUQxYPHFgNp3Z76kkjOa20slTi8H1V6n