1 2
pez222
pez222 New Reader
10/4/11 2:45 p.m.

I have one. You can ask me anything or go to spyderchat.com for all sorts of useful info.

** Pre-cats are a big issue and must be gutted for all pre '03 cars.

** No one has said it yet, but the 1ZZ has a timing chain. No maintenance schedule for that but check it at 120K!

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
10/4/11 2:48 p.m.
BoostedBrandon wrote: p.s. Why do Toyota engine codes never correlate to anything?

You just don't know how to interpret them, that's all.

It's iteration, followed by block code, followed by a dash, followed by the "options".

Options that I know off the top of my head: E - EFI F - narrow angle DOHC (economy) G - wide angle DOHC (performance) T - Turbo Z - Supercharged C - Cali emissions

There's a code for Japanese emissions that I never remember and another one that used to be used for transverse mounting but was deprecated.

So, 22R-E is the 22nd iteration of the R block using electronic fuel injection, where the 18R-G is the 18th iteration of the R-block using a performance oriented DOHC head.

It's pretty much exactly the same as Nissan, except Nissan goes one further and instead of iteration uses the displacement in deciliters, uses "D" for DOHC, and uses a T for every turbo (i.e. RB26DETT is a RB block displacing 2.6L using a DOHC head with EFI and twin turbos, a VQ35DE is a VQ block displacing 3.5L with DOHC heads and EFI)

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Reader
10/4/11 3:47 p.m.

Ugh. Want. Add another one to the short list.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
10/4/11 4:01 p.m.

In reply to pez222:

No, we covered it above, Pez.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Reader
10/4/11 4:09 p.m.

Thanks for clarifying that, I never understood why a 22re was 2.4 liters, now I get it.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
10/4/11 4:27 p.m.

Dr.Linda's Europa is getting a 1nzfte and a c50 trans.

And "Z" in the motor designation means that the letter before it has been reused. So, for example, a RZ block is different than an R block, but the Z does not in this case designate a Zupercharger, just a different block. Now, a 1RZFZE would, theoretically, be a 1st iteration of the RZ block with a fuel efficient scissor cam head (2 cams but one drive pulley, 2nd cam is driven off the 1st), with a Zupercharger and fuel injection.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
10/5/11 8:36 a.m.

Mmmmmmmmm Vitz RS Turbo motor. Yummy.

corytate
corytate HalfDork
10/9/11 9:21 p.m.

what i was going to say was i thought the z was a supercharger (belt driven) and t was a turbo? a la 7m-gte? or 2jz-gte? and 2gr-fze for the evora, where the z is the super. and I think the mr2 sc was the same way.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
10/10/11 8:37 a.m.
corytate wrote: what i was going to say was i thought the z was a supercharger (belt driven) and t was a turbo? a la 7m-gte? or 2jz-gte? and 2gr-fze for the evora, where the z is the super. and I think the mr2 sc was the same way.

Correct, but only on the second half of the nomenclature.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
10/10/11 12:14 p.m.

Yeah, the dash is important in the Toyota nomenclature for the above reason. 2JZ-GE is not supercharged, but a 2J-GZE would be (I have no idea what a "J" motor is or if it even exists, this is just for example).

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3rGFpm5QBhivaW4v02zWtKiNzmf01WRt5LkkQTTsMJj16rCGIJIqd84BWEMsFvXp