1 2
JamesMcD
JamesMcD Reader
4/8/13 10:38 p.m.

My wife made friends with an older lady from church who has visited the house a few times. A couple months ago, I mentioned in passing that I liked her Corolla wagon...Well, now she is leaving the country, to go back to her home country of Poland, and is giving me the pictured Corolla wagon.

It has 108k on is and it basically the proverbial elderly lady car. Very clean and totally rust free. But automatic, of course. I do like it and am very appreciative, but am not sure what to do with it.

I've been driving my wife's '99 Sentra, which I do not like so much and which has much higher miles. So I think I am going to sell the Sentra, then wire the lady at least half of the money (I doubt she would accept if I tried to give her money in person), and probably give the rest to charity.

I would like to find some first-gen. Mr2 wheels...

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
4/8/13 10:49 p.m.

Nice...the MR2 wheels would look cool, and it looks like a great daily driver!

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
4/8/13 10:55 p.m.

hold onto it or give it to someone who will. some day it will seem as unique and cool as this now does

BTW,
http://classicmotorsports.net/forum/classic-cars/sonoma-concourse-now-with-japanese-class/62625/page1/

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
4/8/13 10:57 p.m.

Noice!

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
4/8/13 11:30 p.m.

Flush the trans, do whatever needs doing, and drive it for another 100k. These things are anvils.

cutter67
cutter67 HalfDork
4/9/13 5:02 a.m.

nice very nice... she must have thought a lot of your wife and you to give you such a nice gift. i wouldnt wreck it by trying to give her money. i would look for some nice gift that could be sent to her in Poland and make sure you get her address over there and send her a thank-you note, that would mean so much more than money

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
4/9/13 5:13 a.m.

Hang onto it for a bit, and drive it. After a few months, you're likely to find it to be one of the most indispensible general purpose vehicles you've ever had. Eminently practical, usefull and reliable.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
4/9/13 5:31 a.m.

or, how much are you willing to sell it for? i may be interested

shadetree30
shadetree30 Reader
4/9/13 6:25 a.m.
EvanR wrote: Flush the trans, do whatever needs doing, and drive it for another 100k. These things are anvils.

What he said. ^^

She gave it to you because she valued your friendship. That's the best way to say thanks!

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
4/9/13 7:04 a.m.
JamesMcD wrote: I would like to find some first-gen. Mr2 wheels...

If it's FWD, there might be a problem.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
4/9/13 7:05 a.m.
EvanR wrote: Flush the trans, do whatever needs doing, and drive it for another 100k. These things are anvils.

+1

I've got 180K on my Toyolla wagon and it's still going strong.

I wish mine looked that nice, though!

Powar
Powar Dork
4/9/13 7:38 a.m.

That's excellent. I'd start gathering all of the parts to do a manual swap and any deferred maintenance, then drive it as is for years. Where are you located? I have a set of first gen MR-2 wheels that I'd sell, but zero interest in shipping them.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltraDork
4/9/13 7:51 a.m.

I would make sure I got the engine good and hot over a couple of long trips and do quick oil changes. Flush the cooling and brake systems too. Then drive and enjoy.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
4/9/13 8:00 a.m.

Corollas are as reliable as gravity. My father in law has 2 C10 pickups, a 60s 1/2 ton chebby, a brandy new 3500HD, an 05 Vette, a Road King, and a 96 Corolla.

Guess which one he drives everyday...35mpg and enough room for the fam damily, their stuff, and a weeks groceries. A full tank in his new Silverado costs more than the Corollas brake pads at all 4 corners.

Will that 'rolla ever knock your socks off? Probably not. But it will make whatever knocker-off-of-socks you buy that much more affordable.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
4/9/13 8:18 a.m.

If you're looking for the classic "triangle" MR2 wheels, there's a vendor on eBay that has them for $25 or so each. (Crap, at work and can't remember the vendor. Can post tonight if interested.)

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
4/9/13 8:22 a.m.

I had an old guy give me his Topaz a while back. It wasn't much of a car, nor worth much at all. I gave it to a friend who was going through a divorce when the engine in his van blew up. I told him to pass it on after he was done with it, either to the junkyard or someone else who it would help.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
4/9/13 12:34 p.m.

Kid down the street has a sedan version of that car and about that colour. I keep looking at it wondering how it would look on a set of Miata daisies. That's what I'd do to that wagon. Maybe throw some 7x15s on it with a little more rubber.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
4/9/13 12:43 p.m.

I would be tempted to keep that thing 100% original and stock. And then take it to car shows in like 10 years.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/9/13 12:50 p.m.

I'd be tempted to... tempted to...

.... urrrggg.... ughhh.... oh god it's coming....

ZOMG 7AGE BLACKTOP 20V STROKER WITH A 6SPD, COILOVERS, SOME NICE 15X8S WRAPPED IN 225/45-15 RIVALS, TINT, SWAY BARS, AND A NICE EXHAUST.

Whew... that's better.

Been awhile since i've had a Toyota to play with. Want.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
4/9/13 1:15 p.m.

I had that same wagon! I miss it so much. Damn I wish I was that fortunate to find a clean corolla wagon.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
4/9/13 1:23 p.m.

In reply to Swank Force One: ROTFLMAO!!! That made my afternoon.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/9/13 2:07 p.m.

you should ask her what she would've done with it, if she hadn't given it to you. that might guide you towards what to do with the proceeds if you decide to sell it.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/9/13 3:10 p.m.

Drive it and enjoy it's anonymity...

donalson
donalson PowerDork
4/9/13 4:40 p.m.

always liked the wagon version of those... wife had a '91 geo prizm (aka rolla with chebby badge) on it when we got married... that car was great untill the trans died which is apparently the norm for the slushboxes... I couldn't find one in the junkyard as they'd all been pulled already... ended up buying a complete car from a friend that had a spark plug fall apart inside the engine and kill the engine to get a good trans.

toyota mr2 triangles are pretty good looking on it... but if you can find some of the old mr2 basket weave meshies it looks even better...

donalson
donalson PowerDork
4/9/13 4:42 p.m.

oh the other thing i'll add... my in-laws bought the prizm new... father-in-law put an autozone alternator in it and it seemed to go need one about ever 6-12 months, took 10-15 min to swap so no biggie with the lifetime warranty...

nothing else of notable crappyness

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
avmEek0wKI74exuHXXfKSJMoX1rq1osE7bKuvthZZS3RCt4euz0OmrqL4KzL9iU6